Looking for a Point & Shoot Camera...

I've been looking to buy a camera for a while now. Don't need nothing too crazy, just for occasional photos and whatnot since I don't have any sort of camera at the moment. 
Been researching the top cameras but all the reviews seem to conflict with what another is saying. Looking to spend about $200 at most.

I tried asking in the official photography thread a couple times but didn't get any help. 

I was looking at this CyberShot H55

Sony-H55.jpg

I've been looking to buy a camera for a while now. Don't need nothing too crazy, just for occasional photos and whatnot since I don't have any sort of camera at the moment. 
Been researching the top cameras but all the reviews seem to conflict with what another is saying. Looking to spend about $200 at most.

I tried asking in the official photography thread a couple times but didn't get any help. 

I was looking at this CyberShot H55

Sony-H55.jpg

No help in the photo thread? Man....I got you.

Well, I say this whenever people bring up point and shoots but honestly I haven't really messed with one for quite some time and I know there have been technological advances with all the companies out there. With that being said, I still have faith in Canon point and shoots. Don't waste your time on Nikon point and shoots because from my experience, photo quality has been the worse and I have messed with some Sony Cybershots and I just don't think they are worth the money. Canon's to me always have a good balance. The lens is pretty good, ISO is decent and they have all thos camera shake and face detection options now that make it even better.

Canon has a new Elph series out called the PowerShot ELPH 100 HS. Right in your price range. Plus it has wide angle, HD video, ISO to 3200, and other stuff.

http://www.usa.canon.com/...as/powershot_elph_100_hs

No help in the photo thread? Man....I got you.

Well, I say this whenever people bring up point and shoots but honestly I haven't really messed with one for quite some time and I know there have been technological advances with all the companies out there. With that being said, I still have faith in Canon point and shoots. Don't waste your time on Nikon point and shoots because from my experience, photo quality has been the worse and I have messed with some Sony Cybershots and I just don't think they are worth the money. Canon's to me always have a good balance. The lens is pretty good, ISO is decent and they have all thos camera shake and face detection options now that make it even better.

Canon has a new Elph series out called the PowerShot ELPH 100 HS. Right in your price range. Plus it has wide angle, HD video, ISO to 3200, and other stuff.

http://www.usa.canon.com/...as/powershot_elph_100_hs

Crazy, cause I was just about to make this thread or post in the photography thread.

I need a point and shoot camera w/ maybe 8-10 MP, nothing crazy .. Just something to take decent pics w/ and cost under $200 ...

is this possible?  Fongstarr .. I know you get busy w/ the camera game, help a ninja out
pimp.gif

Crazy, cause I was just about to make this thread or post in the photography thread.

I need a point and shoot camera w/ maybe 8-10 MP, nothing crazy .. Just something to take decent pics w/ and cost under $200 ...

is this possible?  Fongstarr .. I know you get busy w/ the camera game, help a ninja out
pimp.gif

thanks man. The camera looks really dope especially seeing how it takes full 1080 video
pimp.gif
Most were 720 and the ones that shot 1080 were way up there in price. I was looking to buy it but I guess its still fairly new and no stores around me carry them according to the canon site. You think it will take long for it to come to major stores such as best buy?
edit: amazon says it will ship in 1-3 months

thanks man. The camera looks really dope especially seeing how it takes full 1080 video
pimp.gif
Most were 720 and the ones that shot 1080 were way up there in price. I was looking to buy it but I guess its still fairly new and no stores around me carry them according to the canon site. You think it will take long for it to come to major stores such as best buy?

Usually cameras should always be bought based on what kind of shooter you are. Do you shoot with flash a lot, shoot more night then day shots (or vice a versa), use zoom, etc. As stated above, I am a Canon guy with point and shoots and have always found them to be great cameras photo wise. If $200 is your budget, try the PowerShot SD1300 IS:

http://www.usa.canon.com/...eras/powershot_sd1300_is

I bought this camera for my mom and she loves it. It has all the stuff you need minus the HD video thing. Plus the battery life is pretty decent, even if you are shooting with a flash on.

Also something to note, the camera is only a tool and it is really the shooter that makes the pics look good. I have seen people even here on NT that can't take pics for nothing....whether shooting with a DSLR or a point and shoot. Know your camera equipment and you will take better photos. Also, getting a good photo might take a good amount of shots. For example, I hate taking pics with flash so I choose to shoot night pictures (usually non moving objects) without it on but you might have to take 20 photos just to get one decent one. It happenes this way but that is the beauty of a digital camera.

Usually cameras should always be bought based on what kind of shooter you are. Do you shoot with flash a lot, shoot more night then day shots (or vice a versa), use zoom, etc. As stated above, I am a Canon guy with point and shoots and have always found them to be great cameras photo wise. If $200 is your budget, try the PowerShot SD1300 IS:

http://www.usa.canon.com/...eras/powershot_sd1300_is

I bought this camera for my mom and she loves it. It has all the stuff you need minus the HD video thing. Plus the battery life is pretty decent, even if you are shooting with a flash on.

Also something to note, the camera is only a tool and it is really the shooter that makes the pics look good. I have seen people even here on NT that can't take pics for nothing....whether shooting with a DSLR or a point and shoot. Know your camera equipment and you will take better photos. Also, getting a good photo might take a good amount of shots. For example, I hate taking pics with flash so I choose to shoot night pictures (usually non moving objects) without it on but you might have to take 20 photos just to get one decent one. It happenes this way but that is the beauty of a digital camera.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

pimp.gif

I say be patient and wait for that camera if that is what you want. I know it is nerving since you want to shoot stuff asap but no point in getting something outdated just because you need it now. It is a waste of money in the long run. And as for the 1080p, it all depends on the frame rate. If the frame rate is about 30fps, then it should be decent but having it at 1080 doesn't mean it is better. A 720p video will look just as good if it has a hight frame rate and the only way you can tell it looks crappy is if you watch it on a big screen.

I just checked the site and it says that 1080p shoots at 24fps...which is the lowest you want it before you get that jello effect. They have super slow-mo mode at 120fps but only in 640x1080 and they have minature mode as well.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

pimp.gif

I say be patient and wait for that camera if that is what you want. I know it is nerving since you want to shoot stuff asap but no point in getting something outdated just because you need it now. It is a waste of money in the long run. And as for the 1080p, it all depends on the frame rate. If the frame rate is about 30fps, then it should be decent but having it at 1080 doesn't mean it is better. A 720p video will look just as good if it has a hight frame rate and the only way you can tell it looks crappy is if you watch it on a big screen.

I just checked the site and it says that 1080p shoots at 24fps...which is the lowest you want it before you get that jello effect. They have super slow-mo mode at 120fps but only in 640x1080 and they have minature mode as well.

you think I should hold off and get ELPH 100 HS for $200 or get the SD1400 IS for $150? Worth the extra $50

you think I should hold off and get ELPH 100 HS for $200 or get the SD1400 IS for $150? Worth the extra $50

DON'T get the Sony H55. I bought one for Christmas and was totally disappointed.

I loved all the features but something was just off (megazoom is what really peaked my interest). That something was color saturation, the H55 saturates HEAVY in the blues, greens and especially the reds. Anything that is brown, red, orange is going to come out red. I tried all the features to fix this problem and nothing would work (including white balance). I tried post-editing and that wouldn't even help. My wife has brown hair, came out looking red. Brown trees, came out looking red. Fences around my neighborhood came out looking red, etc.,etc., etc. I literally walked around my neighborhood taking thousands of pictures. I would use several techniques to finally get that one good looking picture just to take it home and find out it was not good. And if was even WORSE in low light settings or any situation that needs a flash. I tried to force myself to like the pictures because I loved the functions and usability of the camera but I just couldn't convice myself. IMO the camera distorts the color reality. I could keep going on, but I am just saying don't get this camera.

If you are looking for a cheaper camera and don't really care what your pictures look like, go ahead and get it because the features and interface are pretty good.

If you care about your pictures, don't touch this camera.

I went and looked at about 5-6 other cameras after this and decided that picture quality means a lot to me. And I am not ready to drop the money on a DSLR, so I had to go with something quality. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I ended up between the Panasonic Lumix LX5 and Cannon S95. Both are great P&S cameras but I wanted something small because I plan on getting a DSLR within the year. So my choice was the S95 ($399) and I am totally in love with this camera. I sacraficed my megazoom feature that I wanted, but when I thought about it, when do I really need to take a clear picture of something over 100 yards away.  And the picture quality is amazing, excellent low-light pictures (some don't even need the flash).

For the features and what you are looking to spend I suggest going down a level and getting the Sony W350. My wife's mom has one and the pictures came out MUCH better than the H55. Plus it is much cheaper.  Other Lumix are worth checking out too, I just looked and BB has the ZS7 on sale for $198 (orig $350).  I suggest you go play with a couple.  I will say BB lighting doesn't represent what your pictures will look like outside of the store.  Their pure white lights really help sell products.

DON'T get the Sony H55. I bought one for Christmas and was totally disappointed.

I loved all the features but something was just off (megazoom is what really peaked my interest). That something was color saturation, the H55 saturates HEAVY in the blues, greens and especially the reds. Anything that is brown, red, orange is going to come out red. I tried all the features to fix this problem and nothing would work (including white balance). I tried post-editing and that wouldn't even help. My wife has brown hair, came out looking red. Brown trees, came out looking red. Fences around my neighborhood came out looking red, etc.,etc., etc. I literally walked around my neighborhood taking thousands of pictures. I would use several techniques to finally get that one good looking picture just to take it home and find out it was not good. And if was even WORSE in low light settings or any situation that needs a flash. I tried to force myself to like the pictures because I loved the functions and usability of the camera but I just couldn't convice myself. IMO the camera distorts the color reality. I could keep going on, but I am just saying don't get this camera.

If you are looking for a cheaper camera and don't really care what your pictures look like, go ahead and get it because the features and interface are pretty good.

If you care about your pictures, don't touch this camera.

I went and looked at about 5-6 other cameras after this and decided that picture quality means a lot to me. And I am not ready to drop the money on a DSLR, so I had to go with something quality. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I ended up between the Panasonic Lumix LX5 and Cannon S95. Both are great P&S cameras but I wanted something small because I plan on getting a DSLR within the year. So my choice was the S95 ($399) and I am totally in love with this camera. I sacraficed my megazoom feature that I wanted, but when I thought about it, when do I really need to take a clear picture of something over 100 yards away.  And the picture quality is amazing, excellent low-light pictures (some don't even need the flash).

For the features and what you are looking to spend I suggest going down a level and getting the Sony W350. My wife's mom has one and the pictures came out MUCH better than the H55. Plus it is much cheaper.  Other Lumix are worth checking out too, I just looked and BB has the ZS7 on sale for $198 (orig $350).  I suggest you go play with a couple.  I will say BB lighting doesn't represent what your pictures will look like outside of the store.  Their pure white lights really help sell products.

I think I'm going to wait until the ELPH 100 HS comes more available and pull the trigger, thanks a lot for all the input fellas, really helped.

I think I'm going to wait until the ELPH 100 HS comes more available and pull the trigger, thanks a lot for all the input fellas, really helped.

^^^Yeah...for $50 more, I would wait. A lot more features and most important, a higher iso for better night shots and action photos. Get the ELPH.

^^^Yeah...for $50 more, I would wait. A lot more features and most important, a higher iso for better night shots and action photos. Get the ELPH.

Back
Top Bottom