Looming Bart + AC Transit Strikes: UPDATE--BART SET TO STRIKE FRIDAY

heatpinoyboy

Supporter
How many of my Bay Area Nters have contingency plans in place for this? Just found out tonight and I'm expecting the worst experience in traffic later today. If AC Transit lets up on Thursday I might just skip class for the week *shrug*

View media item 616775
"OAKLAND -- A BART shutdown Tuesday morning looked more and more likely as the long-running labor talks continued into the early hours, though the deadline to reach a deal came and went without word of a settlement or strike.

As if that wasn't enough: AC Transit workers on Monday morning shocked the Bay Area by issuing a 72-hour notice to strike Thursday for the first time in 36 years if contract talks fail at the region's third-biggest transit agency."

http://www.mercurynews.com/bart/ci_24305461/bart-trains-running-talks-apparently-stalled

So, how are you prepared ?

UPDATE: "BART strike set for Friday; only 'miracle' could save train service" via http://www.mercurynews.com/bart/ci_24328848/bart-trains-roll-negotiations-roll
I hope my people in the Bay are prepared for a crappy morning :lol:

Last edited:
This is getting out of hand. Not only are they being selfish but they're ruining peoples days/weeks. They need to get this over with.

i couldnt live without public transit...if metrobus/rideon shut down in Montgomery County id die

...**** driving...if im going to sit in traffic, minus whale have someone be behind the wheel for me.

i feel for everyone effected...keep your heads up

My girl's dad operates for AC transit and I work in the transit industry myself...

As someone who is non-represented, I see both sides of the fence. It's not the operators, it's the station agents that are walking from my understanding then the BART operators' union (it's either ATU or Teamsters) HAS to walk to essentially. I saw a video of a BART public hearing back in the summer (before the 1st strike) and the conditions they work in are crazy. You see women agents having to get rid of drunk, violent and homeless sleepers right by the station agent booth. they get assaulted a lot, spit on, cussed out, etc So I can see why they want to strike.

HOWEVER, AC and BART are two of the biggest public transit agencies in the bay (I think #3 and #2 respectively) so you're putting a LOT of ppl who rely on these two systems in a really bad position. I hope they figure this out for real.

**** then union! I wish BART can just fire all the workers, and start off fresh hiring non union workers. Theyre overpaid as it is and theyre asking for a substantial pay raise of near 20% because they dont get paid enough?!

**** then union! I wish BART can just fire all the workers, and start off fresh hiring non union workers. Theyre overpaid as it is and theyre asking for a substantial pay raise of near 20% because they dont get paid enough?!

for real though. all this new money is going to the workers.

i can see if they're trying to update/upkeep their equipment, but no! The avg age of the BART trains is about 30 years old.... SMH

:lol: in a perfect world but that ain't happening bruh

for real though. all this new money is going to the workers.

i can see if they're trying to update/upkeep their equipment, but no! The avg age of the BART trains is about 30 years old.... SMH

Yeah equipment is hella old and faulty. Running 10 car trips daily can be taxing on those cars.

Like I said, I have no problem going after what you want but you gotta be realistic about it. 20% is WILD! I think it's $30/hr starting as a train operator with BART...but corporate shouldn't be hardheaded and not negotiate with them. I mean why would you just leave the union reps just sitting up in the meeting room and don't show up with a no call/no show? I'd be pissed too.

I'd love to be one of their head janitors - making yearly salary in the 6 figures! But thats not enough they need a 20% pay raise.

Right now for my job I have to go into the city on Friday's and I commute to Palo Alto Mon - Thurs. For my commute to PA, I plan on leaving from my apt in Oakland at 6:30 or earlier and maybe just nap in the car when I get there. For Friday's I plan on taking the ferry to the city, still have to get to the ferry terminal around 6ish to make sure I get a decent parking spot.

Staying up late watching the news and waking up early to get an update on the news and waking up extra early just to get to where I need to be for work is starting to burn me out.

right now, it is a proposed 12% over 4 years. i believe the union is more focused on the percentage of contribution for pension and health insurance

Rough situation for everyone involved....

I'm so grateful I live in downtown Oakland and work in San Ramon, easy drive and reverse commute.

Looks like another extended deadline.

I think the last time there was a BART strike it took me 2 hours to get me from Richmond to Emeryville :smh:

so the extended deadline is another month?

I'm trying to look at the news at work but the something's wrong with the internet....

If bart doesn't come to an agreement by today then my test will be postponed until they do :smokin

On another note I don't see why AC transit is striking. Seems like one strike ends and another abrupts. This+gov shutdown=bonkers. Why can't people just come to an agreement and be happy these days.

Last edited:
right now, it is a proposed 12% over 4 years. i believe the union is more focused on the percentage of contribution for pension and health insurance

I would've surely thought that they would take this 12% raise. I mean how can you turn down a12% raise when you're already making a bunch of cheddar!! :smh: These dudes just like messing with the people.

so the extended deadline is another month?

I'm trying to look at the news at work but the something's wrong with the internet....

I think the deadline has been extended another day, BART's twitter says that unions announced no strike for Tues, and that "talks continue."
Another thing that pisses me off is that there isn't enough coverage for this :lol:

BART wants the workers to kick in more to their pensions (they currently contribute nothing) and health care (employees pay $92 a month for coverage no matter how many dependents they have).
SMH

Back
Top Bottom