Los Angeles NTers look in the sky tonight!

[h3]Biggest. Moon. Ever.[/h3]By faboomama
December 12th, 2008 @ 3:39 PM Astronomy

3102841961_ef43d814cb_m.jpg
Okay, in at least 15years. Tonight is the night that the moon will appear it's biggest and fullest to those of us lucky enough to witness it without cloud cover.

According to NASA's website:
It's no illusion. Some full Moons are genuinely larger than others and this Friday's is a whopper. Why? The Moon's orbit is an ellipse with one side 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other: diagram. In the language of astronomy, the two extremes are called "apogee" (far away) and "perigee" (nearby). On Dec. 12th, the Moon becomes full a scant 4 hours after reaching perigee, making it 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser full Moons we've seen earlier in 2008.

I'll translate that: Oooh. Pretty. WOW.

Also of note, the Geminids will be at their brightest this weekend, but the overly full moon just may overpower all by the brightest of these.

A great weekend for skywatchers, it seems. I have the perfect perch to watch the moon from my backyard or my front porch. Where are your favorite places inLA to watch the skies?

Jealous
frown.gif

I'll be back...

I'm gonna check it out real quick.

I see a full moon, not sure if it's bigger or not

thanks for sharing.

it's not the biggest i've ever seen it, but still grand nonetheless. i'll be glad when NASA finally decides to tell us it'sartificial.

im gonna check it out right now... literally..

edit: damn ... liek for real... it looks clear as hell!
pimp.gif

Nice.... I hope someone record.

And Rikishi... and the stink face lol Classic, that's when wrestling was still entertaining.

I had a nice view of it last night here in Charlotte NC. I've seen alot of full moons but last night looked bigger than normal.

It was definitely not the biggest but it was pretty bright.
I did notice that. I think it appears the biggest when it starts looking like cheese.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom