low GPA: i'm scurred fambs. GRAD SCHOOLERS, eventual GRAD SCHOOLERS, college students...

sup yall...
i have a stupid low GPA... 2.8...

i did NOT take the first couple years of college seriously... 

i'm applying for grad school... is there anyway that i can go talk to the school i'm applying at about this?

maybe request a probationary period or something... (UofH and UT-Dallas)

their average student is 3.3 w/ 550-600 GMAT score... 3.5 w/ 630-680 at UofH

how do i do this?  i know UofH is a long shot... but UT-dallas is what i'm aiming for b/c i'm moving there.

also... any luck getting into grad schools when you're numbers arent like the average student there?

frown.gif
frown.gif

How did you do in your 3000 & 4000 level courses?

Cause the only way I can see you getting in is if you stunk up the 1000 level courses & did well in the 3000 & 4000

-First if you should go talk to the graduate coordinate at the school's you applying to and explain your situation. Make sure you do this 
-Second think about taking more undergrad classes to boost your GPA. As a non degree seeking student at the school you got your undergrad at or at a local community college. Make sure you get As in every class. And don't take @%$$*+@! classes, either they relate to the graduate program or maybe something like the Calculus track 

-Have great recommendations 

-Great personal statement, if required 

-And absolutely beast on the GMAT. 700 should be the minimum score you should be aiming at. 

Might take a while, won't be easy, won't guarantee you get in, but if your serious that's the best advice I can give 

Grad schools SAY that gpa is only one factor, but it does show your performance record over time, something that is very important to them. If your able I would retake the classes, especially major classes you !+###+ up in and get a better grade. Besides that, I would contact the associate chair or director of the graduate program your applying to and just get your name in there, maybe some face time and know how much gpa counts (which they still might bs you that it's only one factor)

Go hard in the interview, Gmat, extracurriculars and letters of rec.

If your gonna take any undergrad classes to boost your gpa do it in style, first retake the classes that have something to do with your graduate degree...if you can't take classes that have something to do with your graduate degree or help you stand out...something you can handle and get a good grade in of course.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

If your gonna take any undergrad classes to boost your gpa do it in style, first retake the classes that have something to do with your graduate degree...if you can't take classes that have something to do with your graduate degree or help you stand out...something you can handle and get a good grade in of course.
Do you know how little his cumulative GPA is going to move after only taking a few courses?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Do you know how little his cumulative GPA is going to move after only taking a few courses?
It's not to change his GPA, assuming he's already graduated. It's to demonstrate he's able to do well in a given course that's related to what he wants to get his master's in.

It's really all about ur last 60 units...If that is above a 3.0 you should have a decent shot if everything else is solid.

Originally Posted by ricky409

sup yall...

i'm applying for grad school... is there anyway that i can go talk to the school i'm applying at about this?

how do i do this?  i know UofH is a long shot... but UT-dallas is what i'm aiming for b/c i'm moving there.

also... any luck getting into grad schools when you're numbers arent like the average student there?

frown.gif
frown.gif
Depending on the school you can either go talk to them in person, or explain it in your personal statement.  If the average is 3.3 that means they have cats with subpar 3.0 GPAs.  Just make sure your GMAT scores are solid and that you have some extracurricular activities going on in your favor.  If you're about to finish undergrad now, I wouldn't trip on what you can't change, I'd be focusing on doing the best I could on the GMAT at this point.  Just my 2 cents. 

I just graduated college and talked to a career counselor about my options including grad school. She told me they mostly expect at least a 3.0

Try taking some extra classes to boost it a little bit before applying. You're close to that 3.0

if u pay a lot more u can go out of state to a school or look in-state for a school that has less minorities, if ur middle eastern, black or latino/hispanic it helps a lot usually depending on the school
Spoiler [+]
not to sound racist but thats the truth when it comes to acceptance into some schools and ur a minority
i mean mind as well use it to your advantage if its there

sup yall...

frown.gif
frown.gif
dambs fambs, you didnt go hambs 
eek.gif

my situation is kinda funky...

-started out UNFOCUSED... thought i was going to be in somebody's draft camp..

-smartened up after i left my 1st school and went juco... there, i got my associates...

after my juco, i went d2... there, i had about a 3.0 gpa in all of my major classes...

-i graduated, but still had a year of ball left so i came to this last school...

here, i took on a completely different direction of studies (biology)... i've had a 3.0 w/ mostly 4000 biology courses (immunology, microbiology, genetics) level courses.

now, i have a couple more classes that i'm going to take at my old school in hopes of making it go up. i've already taken the courses, and made Cs, so its going to take the place of those...

i'm sitting at 2.8 cumulative before these grades from this semester come in as well as the classes i'm taking in the summer.

BTW... i'm applying for a masters in science finance program... the application deadlines at the schools are June 1st for UofH and july 1st for UTDallas.

GMAT is in two weeks, and the first practice test i took before touching any of the material was a 530... i've learned so much from studying that i KNOW i've raised my scores alot...

sup yall...

frown.gif
frown.gif
i live literally 5-10 mins from UTD and i might say this school is very competitive.  like someone said, try taking a few courses again to up that GPA. 

Back
Top Bottom