lunar foam... DISCUSS

Make that three engineers...(well trying to get my masters in ME) even though im really not in the deep in the discussion like yall..(just watching andlistening for the sidelines), too bad i dont know much about shoe engineering to drop some knowledge.

HAHAHAHAHA!

To me, this just proves that Zoom is at the top of the cushioning game, and that Lunarcrap is just new marketing hype for Nike.

Thanks to all those who provided informed comments.

Huarache 09's and Jordan Elite 1's Zoom cushioning instead of Kobe IVs for me, thank you very much.

Jfeez is my Hero..

Glad you come in here and drop the Good Intellect. .. Altho I hate Lunar.. its good that you and Keon come in and break it down.. Literally with no punintended..lol

Thanks Fellas.

I am trying to stay away from the Lunar Convos now. They just frustrate me..lol

Thanks, Rock, and right back atcha... Much love.

clkru, not sure how this conversation proves to you that Lunar is marketing hype, but whatever.

Again, I'm not an expert on Lunar by any means. But I do know that there is not a "one size fits all" cushioning system. If I was a 300 poundcenter, I'd want Max Air for the impact protection. If I needed low-profile cushioning in a soccer cleat--Zoom Air. Lunar foam, as Keon's said, islighter and provides better rebound than normal EVA (phylon) foams, plus it has a different feel, or ride, to it that some prefer. To me, it's justanother option/choice. Maybe the technology'll go nowhere and disappear after a year or two. On the other hand, think about what early air cushioning waslike thirty years ago, and the tons of different versions that have been improved/invented since. Maybe this is just step one, and some real live Flubber$#~& is coming down the pike... who knows.

Are the Lunar Trainers still available? I've been looking for the white/black/volt colorway and can't find a size 10 anywhere.

"clkru, not sure how this conversation proves to you that Lunar is marketing hype, but whatever."

I think that it is irresponsible for Nike to release a tech that is designed to last for only 80 hours, especially at the price point that are associating itwith. My friend's HD's only lasted just under 74 hours before "bottoming out" up front (we actually recorded his progress in a ledger fromday one of balling after reading on here about how lunar is really only intended to last 80 hours). For background, he is a 6'3", 180 lbs slashingwing, and only used his HD's for basketball.

I think that lunar is just a new hyped up way for Nike to sell product, and something I will certainly avoid purchasing.

Maybe lunar foam will evolve into something of substance someday, but its Zoom and Air for me for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by clkru

"clkru, not sure how this conversation proves to you that Lunar is marketing hype, but whatever."

I think that it is irresponsible for Nike to release a tech that is designed to last for only 80 hours, especially at the price point that are associating it with. My friend's HD's only lasted just under 74 hours before "bottoming out" up front (we actually recorded his progress in a ledger from day one of balling after reading on here about how lunar is really only intended to last 80 hours). For background, he is a 6'3", 180 lbs slashing wing, and only used his HD's for basketball.

I think that lunar is just a new hyped up way for Nike to sell product, and something I will certainly avoid purchasing.

Maybe lunar foam will evolve into something of substance someday, but its Zoom and Air for me for the foreseeable future.
clkru-

I have to disagree with you. Altho I HATE the Lunar Marketing Campaign with a passion, as I believe its a gimmick...moreso than functional. I can't sayits irresponsible of Nike in selling a product at ANY pricepoint.

Its up to the consumer to ALWAYS make the assessment of what they want in a shoe. If Nike Markets that the shoe will last forever then yes. Thats wrong. Butits up to YOU the consumer to determine. Is this a shoe or potential technology that I want to use for my game?

For me.. I always knew it was a no. Keon and Jfeezy break it down from a engineering and very insightful perspective, but me as the Consumer have to simply itthis way:

Do I want packing foam as my cushioning system or do I prefer going with what I feel is the best suited for not only my game but my feet and that Zoom Air..Double or Triple Stacked? its Nike's job to sell you and its your responsibility to buy it or not.

To me Lunar = Poo Poo even if you are getting a new pair every couple of games. I don't believe reaction time is better when your foot is sinking andwaiting to decompress from the cushion. Almost like a marshmellow.

But thats just me. you may have another need in your Footwear.
Sorry for the Rant. look at me defending Nike..lol

Don't forget that there is always the bottom line to consider: price.
Its obvious that lunar foam would cost less than zoom air, so removing the cost of one zoom air cushion allows for the flywire in the upper, or the carbonfiber shank, or the laser engraving.
There just isn't a sufficient market to justify any of their shoes costing so much.

"Sorry for the Rant. look at me defending Nike..lol"

I appreciate it and fully respect your point of view. I myself am a Nike loyalist who just happens to be completely dismayed with lunar tech as it currentlyexists.

If I'm dropping $100+ (before tax) on an supposedly high performance athletic shoe in this economy, I darn well expect the shoe to last and perform formore than 80 hours in the activity that I am buying to use it for. Thus, I will drop that money of Zoom or Air-based shoes.

While it is true that Nike can create and sell whatever they want at whatever price point they want, (look at those AF1/Jordan Fushions that remarkably fly offthe shelf like hotcakes!), I think that its irresponsible for them to market lunar on high end, high performance shoes without providing a disclaimingindicating that the tech is prone to break down quicker than any other cush they offer. My Air Max Enforcers, with a simple forefront phylon cush setup lastedthrough 1.5 years of regular balling (3-4 times a week for 2-2.5 hours) before they gave out up front and had to be retired. My friend's HD's lastedfor approximately 73.5 hours of basketball before court feel became knee pain and he felt every landing on the pads of his feet. He has since gone on to a newpair of Zoom BB1's and the pain has disappeared.

As a consumer concerned with performance, I will not be wasting any money on shoes utilizing lunar until the tech is vastly improved.

^^ Bro you are preaching to the choir cause if you have seen my posts you know I am a Zoom BB advocate as a shoe Nike should NEVER remove from the Shelves muchlike a Air Force 1 white on white.

Why don't they do that? Fear of competition for current lines... but the lunacy there is they have constant competition from Sport Culture or Nike Retro asNTers call it. So why not keep constant Revenue coming in with shoes that are KNOWN comodities and perform well? Constant revenue stream....

Instead of offering them at retail keep them online.. oops... Digital would then get those costs... but then thats how it works.

Nike has created competition not only with other companies but within their own.

They cant win for losin..

"Zoom BB advocate as a shoe Nike should NEVER remove from the Shelves much like a Air Force 1 white on white."

Isn't that the truth. BB1's should be a staple available to any and every baller or person into ball culture like AF1s, Chucks, and adidas shell toes.

But then I also think that the AJ XI should be on the shelf ALL THE TIME, much to the disdain of JB hypebeasts and resellers. That shoe represents just asmuch, (if not more), about basketball history, culture, and style as the Chuck Taylor All-Star.

Oh well...

Originally Posted by joejoebob2099

nike claims lunar foam is 30% lighter than regular phylon.

assuming they mean under equivalent volumes, this means its 30% less dense than phylon.

less dense materials will bottom out, and stop returning to their original thickness, faster than dense materials
not really, if lunar foam is a completely different compounds than they can't really be compared on a scale like this. lunar foam'selasticity would be more important than its density. zoom air is the only one i've tried of the two, moire's and spiridon's and it is amazinglycomfortable.

I wanted to get an idea of just how bad the 'bottoming out' was so I put one of my Blackouts on my left foot (got in Sept, balled 5 days a week in'em for four months) and a brand new white/navy HD on my right foot and walked/jogged around the house. It's definitely more noticeable than Ithought, time for some Dr Scholl's.

Not that I don't believe you guys but...I'm from Missouri.
Where is it stated that Lunar Foam has an 80 hour lifetime?
Is this specific to the Lunar Racer or Lunar Foam in general?
I think I read that the Lunar Racer was intentionally a specialty item, not intended for casual consumption but for serious competition.
I just can't quite believe that they would put this tech into wide release with such limited functionality.
It borders on fraud.

"Where is it stated that Lunar Foam has an 80 hour lifetime?"

To the best of my recollection, it was stated on here by someone who had a meeting with a Nike rep over the summer. The 80-hour life of lunar foam isapparently responsible for the HD's being priced at only $110 (instead of being priced higher).

At the time, my friend and I assumed that this may have some merit, since it seemed odd for Nike to release a brand new tech at such a comparably low pricepoint. Alas, we conducted our own test (per what I've mentioned above), and found the bottoming out near 80 hours to be fairly accurate (73.5 hours in ourcase).

I forget the SN of the NTer who first posted the 80-hour info, and I think it was in the sneaker review forum...

I don't know all this technical mumbo jumbo lol, but I do know that if they could put lunartrainer comfort/feel on top of a zoom midsole, it is a shoe thatI would not be able to resist... multiple times. Maybe instead of double (or triple) stacking zoom, just double stack the two different techs. Maybe it is outof the realm of possibility, I don't know all of the technical details that go into it, but that would be an insanely comfortable shoe.

BTW, I really dig these discussions and all you guys' insights...

Does anyone know if there were any changes to the lunar implementation in the ZKiv based on whatever Nike learned from the HD? In my limited experience withthe zkiv (two games so far) it feels a little more firm than what I recall my HDs felt like in the first few games.

^Some people are saying that the ZKIV's have an updated lunar foam feel, but even if they do there's hardly a difference to me. why is Nike evenmessing around with foams as the primary cushioning agent when they've patented tech such as Zoom Air, Air Sole, Tuned Air, Max Air, etc? To me, all thatLunar Foam does is feel like marshmallow for a few games, and then bottom out. I don't understand why a guard would even want the area under the ball oftheir foot to have such soft cushioning, that's where you want it the most firm and responsive. What gives?

Nike did try to push Tuned Air in the late 90s (Air Max Plus, Air Tuned Max, Air Tuned Force, Garnett III) but tuned air is almost non-existent, save for someretros of the Air Max Plus from 2006-08.

I guess Nike doesn't see it as something viable anymore, hence why none of their new products use Tuned Air?

Originally Posted by gobucksBC

Are the Lunar Trainers still available? I've been looking for the white/black/volt colorway and can't find a size 10 anywhere.

I haven't seen them in the usual sizes for a while now. But in Feb we're getting 2 new colourways, one is, andi'm not 100% on this, but i hear black/orange and a white/red.

^^^Nice to hear. Like the sound of Black/orange. Try Ebay for a size 10 or some of the running websites.

Tuned Air was probably phazed out because of Shox...they're both "pillars" or "mechanical elements" that aid cushioning, and if youlook at Tuned Air, it looks like mini Shox surrounded by Air columns, kinda what they're doing with the new Shox Experience+ 2. FYI...I was also lookingfor posts on the Foampositie eggplant since I saw them on FINL today, but this is the only current "foam" post active.

damn i just picked up a pair of hyperdunks..hopefully the forefoot won't feel like doodoo after a couple of months

Back
Top Bottom