Lupe Fiasco Drogas Waves out now - Who needs 7 tracks for a great album?

Y'all should read his own review of the album. He said that most of these tracks are old tracks that had a similar sound and that anything that was too jazzy or lyrical were dumped and held for the next two albums. He's pretty much clearing out the vault.

I read the review. Still a weak excuse if you ask me. Like why even bother? You dont have to deal with a major label anymore so just skip all the bs and put out good music already. You dont see any other artist dumping a bunch of tracks that they KNOW are subpar and selling it as an album. Theres a reason why most artists keep these type of tracks in the vault...

Y'all should read his own review of the album. He said that most of these tracks are old tracks that had a similar sound and that anything that was too jazzy or lyrical were dumped and held for the next two albums. He's pretty much clearing out the vault.

I read the review. Still a weak excuse if you ask me. Like why even bother? You dont have to deal with a major label anymore so just skip all the bs and put out good music already. You dont see any other artist dumping a bunch of tracks that they KNOW are subpar and selling it as an album. Theres a reason why most artists keep these type of tracks in the vault...

Blueprint 2/2.5?

Blueprint 2/2.5?

Nah man not a good comparison. Blueprint 2.5 was a shortned version of BP2 (cause that album shouldn't have been a double disc). However that wasn't an album that no doubt had filler tracks but there were a lot of good songs of quality. That's very different from this album that is basically full of material that isn't good at all.

Nas let his out the vault and dudes loved it

A. Lost Tapes actually had a couple gems on it.

B. Lost Tapes was released under a major label. Columbia wanted Nas to put it out to capitalize off his recent success w/ Stillmatic.

Lupe is independent now. He finally has the freedom to put out whatever he wants, and what does he do? He drops his worst album yet. This the same guy who was crying about his label screwing him for the past 8 yrs.

A. Lost Tapes actually had a couple gems on it.

B. Lost Tapes was released under a major label. Columbia wanted Nas to put it out to capitalize off his recent success w/ Stillmatic.

Lupe is independent now. He finally has the freedom to put out whatever he wants, and what does he do? He drops his worst album yet. This the same guy who was crying about his label screwing him for the past 8 yrs.

Agreed man. Dude finally has the freedom to put out the music he wants to and he basically puts out the stuff we were told Atlantic was forcing him to put out. You are right this album makes Lasers sound like Illmatic for sure. I hated Lasers but at least that album had some damn good redeeming tracks.

I 'm sorry but making excuses like "people can't enjoy a fun album" is ridiculous. If weak production and lyrics is "fun" then count me out.

Nas is Nas. I don't think that's even a fair comparison.

It was decent for what it was. Promos and Jump are probably my favorite tracks. Excpecting a full Lupe project when Drogas drops. I'm taking this as almost a mixtape before the next album.

Last edited:
lupe out thought himself out of greatness

a lot of his new music is just pitiful at this point

Last edited:
So after giving Drogas light a few spins....i kinda like it.

There are some cringe worthy songs/lines but i think my expectations were really low so i was surprised.

Dopamine, NGL, Promise, Made in the USA, Jump, City of the Year
All good songs

But the second half of the album is kinda trash. I do like Pick up the phone though (from the lupe's relationship with his fans perspective then the straight forward girl story in the narrative)

But out of the 14 songs....i like 7-8 of them so can't be mad at that.

All good songs

basically the only joints I mess with. Lupe pissed me off with his comments on twitter. Put out a good album and stop the BS.

this is his first album that I will not purchase. (I purchased lasers...)

NGL tho :smokin

All good songs

basically the only joints I mess with. Lupe pissed me off with his comments on twitter. Put out a good album and stop the BS.

this is his first album that I will not purchase. (I purchased lasers...)

NGL tho :smokin

Same here. I don't know man...

I was fortunate to meet him recently. I asked him if he could sign my albums, and he actually said that he would sign anything EXCEPT Lasers... :lol:

Last edited:
Listened to wave once all the way through and am really liking it on first listen. I know i am missing a lot as far a lyrical depth since it usually takes me a solid 4-5 listens to start picking up on a lupe album. But so far I am really enjoying it

I messed with Tetsuo and Youth heavy but haven’t really listened since then. May need to check this out still.

Off first spin, I dig the vibe of the album. Listening to some of the tracks again is making me like the track even more. I dig that King Nas, Alan Forever, Timbuck2, Gold vs. The Right.... man, been driving to it ...sits well for the cruise. Lupe is such an inspiration for me, lyrically. Blows my mind when people can hear his influences in my work. This album makes me want to get creative. Can't wait to dive in deeper.

This album is great. I’d say check it out if you’re in the fence. It’s long, so there’s a bit of everything in there.

WAV Files is amazing, man.

This dope so far. Granted I'm Only halfway through.

Digging Stronger.

Back
Top Bottom