Mad Men Season 7 Discussion Thread - Final Episodes - SERIES FINALE

So Don finds peace in a hippie commune?

Wiener wasn't joking when he said people would hate the finale.
laugh.gif

I'm kinda glad it was a peaceful ending. Except for Betty, everything else was looking optimistic.

That what I thought too. I think he may have just went on the commune to rejuvenate. I dunno. Seemed like he felt there was nowhere to go as far as his career. He's rich and stopped caring. Like when he was talking about all of Peggy's goals. He was like and the, and then, and then.

Maybe he appreciates things more after the commune. Or maybe he makes the cocke add and everything repeats itself and he becomes lost again. They left it really open compared to the other characters.

Remember most of the hippies became yuppies. Could just be a phase.

I was kind of hoping for a clear-cut, definitive ending, but that would have been the easy way out and considering all our characters got that ending, I'm glad they went with that for Don.

I wonder if Weiner will actually explain it or he'll leave it up to us like David Chase did.

I think regardless, Don found his peace and acceptance. Whether or not we're to believe he actually went back to advertising and created that ad (which kind of feels like a leap) is another thing.. but he's found what he's been searching for. If they just wanted to parallel that to the advertisement for Coke, then it's brilliant. The show has had a constant theme of Don peddling these ads and ideas to the masses but never believing in it, just selling the dream and illusion, so maybe he just convinces himself of that illusion in the end. Or maybe it's a case of a honest to god breakthrough and achievement for Don. That breakdown in the therapy session, about searching your whole life for love in others, when maybe Don just needed to let go.

I need to think about it some more, but I'm pretty sure I loved it. I kind of wish it wasn't so immediately divisive because it feels like it'll be a love it or hate it kind of reaction. But I don't care, the show ended how it did and I'm incredibly satisfied. 

So Don created the coke ad which is prob one of the top 5 greatest ads ever. I mean thats great Don came up with that but damn I didnt like that finale at all lol.

Would like to have seen McCann's reaction to his idea. But hey then that means this episode wouldnt have been a finale then lol

I'm guessing that last Coca-cola song/ad was created by Don after he left the commune?

Part of me feels that he did. That he finally felt inner peace and self worth after that guy who was the exact opposite of himself, less the office type job poured his heart out. That was such a beautiful moment. After all of the searching for a new feeling for everything in his life, he finally realized that he's always had what he truly needed, and it took a lot of terrible things to happen to him to find his inner peace.

Part of me wants to know what would be next for Don from Wiener, but it felt like whatever it is, he would be alright.

I'm really sad this is the end. Such a great show.

I'd like to think he became friends with that crying office worker guy he hugged and told him being popular is overrated.

seemed like everyone got closure except for Don.
ok ending.
would of been cool if they actually showed Don pitching the hippie coke ad.

Maybe he saw that the guy who is the opposite of him feels the exact same way and that he needs to just be at peace. If don wanted love he could have easily been with Megan and had a kid plus be with his other kids more. Maybe he is always looking for love since he never understood it when he was a child. He's always been the most complex character on the show.

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-lore-hilltop-story#TCCC

After seeing which company created the coke ad, I'm even more convinced that's what we should be believe. He made it.

Reddit has a good mad men thread

"did don find inner peace or was he thinking of that coke ad". Hmmmmmmmmm

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/12/8589783/mad-men-finale-predictions

Kudos to this guy. Wow. ^

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm already becoming more and more convinced that's my interpretation of the ending... He's with the firm that creates the ad, not to mention they made repeated references to McCann letting him return if he wanted. They could have easily said they were firing him or he wouldn't be allowed back, but they left that door open.

Whether Don truly found peace or he just used this commune to break out of his creative rut, who knows. I saw it mentioned how this could be a callback to the pilot.. how Don was stuck in a creative rut and the idea hit him for Lucky Strike. Perhaps he's back at it and doomed to repeat his cycle all over again, or maybe he's truly made a breakthrough in his personal life. I think it just depends on how you want his story to end.

Yeah I agree. Ending is growing on me quickly. I also went in with low expectations as one should for any finale. Better than parks and rec :wink:

I'm sure we will get some interesting interpretations in the next few days. Many people will hate it

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm already becoming more and more convinced that's my interpretation of the ending... He's with the firm that creates the ad, not to mention they made repeated references to McCann letting him return if he wanted. They could have easily said they were firing him or he wouldn't be allowed back, but they left that door open.

Whether Don truly found peace or he just used this commune to break out of his creative rut, who knows. I saw it mentioned how this could be a callback to the pilot.. how Don was stuck in a creative rut and the idea hit him for Lucky Strike. Perhaps he's back at it and doomed to repeat his cycle all over again, or maybe he's truly made a breakthrough in his personal life. I think it just depends on how you want his story to end.
Agreed. It's very open to interpretation.

1.) Don really did find his inner peace, went back to NYC to crush it with the one of the most successful ads of all time, and becomes a better person.

2.) Like Lucky Strike, Don uses all of this to get out of his rut and repeats the cycle again.

Back
Top Bottom