Mad Men Season Six Thread - Episode Thirteen - Season Finale - "In Care Of"

Yes. It appears they are all on liquid adderall this episode is amazing.

I've never done it but it seems to reflect what college friends during finals weeks were like :lol:

This was the most surreal ep I've ever watched of Mad Men. Crazier than Roger's little acid trip. From the very beginning it felt like the ep had already started but began somewhere in the middle. It was like being lost without being lost. I couldn't get a read on Don's actions as far as pitching something for Chevy only to find out that the whole time he was thinking up away to get his side piece back.

The flashbacks reminded me of Boardwalk Empire :lol:

The old negro grandma was really confusing. I really thought they were revealing that Don had some other black mother or something :rofl: From the way the ep went it wasn't so obvious that was a break-in.

:lol: @ everybody trying to get with Peggy now.

That entire episode was so bizarre. :wow:

Ken tapdancing and running around :rofl:

The ******* on that chick taking care of young Don doe :pimp:

Last edited:
what a great episode.

bizzarre yes, but it felt like a big important episode that will be the jump off point for other story lines.

So now we see why Don is so infatuated with his current mistress. She reminds him of his first time and what seems to be the only woman whoever really cared about him al around it seems. I also can't tell if he enjoyed the fact that he lost his virginity so young or if he dislikes it. It seems to have caused problems for him though.

Simp ...if that ain't some **** I don't know.
Standing outside her door in a pile of cigarettes?

Told yall ...Roger don't do weak **** like that.

Speaking of roger, he need more lines. Dude only had like a 4 minutes total over the last few episodes

Do you want a cookie or something? Enough with the simp talk :lol: This show just had one of their most unique and surreal episodes and you're talking about being a simp?

Do you want a cookie or something? Enough with the simp talk :lol: This show just had one of their most unique and surreal episodes and you're talking about being a simp?

All dudes care about is proving points these days :lol:

I almost wanted to rewatch it immediately afterwards, but I think I loved it. I appreciate their weird/experimental episodes and this one was no different. The footraces around the office, Ken tap dancing, everyone's different way of talking, the jumps in time, it was all very interesting.

I have a renewed interested in Don for the rest of the season. You think he's on a verge of a major break through, but it's still about Sylvia and the issues of his past with women. And his breakthrough... or failed breakthrough culminating in his rejection of Chevy and not chasing after them anymore was great. Mad Men doesn't always leave you saying "I NEED to see next's week episode", but I'm really interested in what comes next.

Excerpts I liked from the AV Club

The flashbacks are my least favorite part of the episode—in an episode that’s already trending toward over-obvious, these flashbacks take the episode’s symbolism and hit us over the head with it repeatedly—but they’re also necessary to facilitate Don’s next step on his professional journey: He’s decided he doesn’t give two **** about Chevy anymore. He’ll keep reviewing work that’s brought to him because that’s his job, but he’s not going to pursue them actively anymore, because whenever a car company comes into the office, the whole place turns into a *****house.

You try to grab hold of the big idea, but it spins out of your grasp as quickly as it lands on your plate. Don comes close—something about history, and how we keep finding people to slot into the same roles we’ve always had, just asking other human beings to fill the archetypes that need filling—but he’s also part of a department that necessarily requires that any major philosophical insights come attached to a message of “Buy Chevy!” The Don we see in this episode seems unhinged, reckless. The experience of being on drugs makes him almost dangerous, and he actually leaves the back door to his apartment open, endangering his own children. (Fortunately, the thief, Ida, doesn’t harm the three kids in any way.) Don is in pursuit of the big idea, the perfect pitch, the single thing that will bring Chevy happiness and sweep Sylvia back into his arms, but he’ll never find it because he’s looking in all the wrong places.

The journey of America in the ‘60s was from a world of carefully repressed emotions and psychological states to one with more openness. Society went from a cultivated world where certain people had power and certain people did not to a cracked shell, with all of that power leaking out around the sides, that those who had been traditionally powerless might scoop some of it up. It’s tempting to say that Mad Men is about how people don’t change, but all one needs to do is look at Peggy Olson to see that’s not true. She’s a massively different person from who she was eight years ago, and she has her former mentor, the man who saw her potential, to thank for much of that. But just as much of that has come from herself and her ability to discern what’s real and what’s ********, to deal with the tough emotional problems in her life and face down her existential doubt and dread head-on. You hear the title “The Crash,” and you think that might mean the car crash Ken gets in to open the episode, or it might mean the inevitable comedown from the heady high, or it might even mean the way that everybody’s moods seem to head for the basement. But “The Crash” isn’t even in this episode. It’s a thing that’s coming, an event on the horizon, an inevitability that, try as he might, Don Draper can run from no longer.

This episode showed Don has an inferiority complex towards women. That's why he can't be satisfied with his wife, his identity is built off of selling himself and that's why he uses women for. That's why he needed to hold on to the affair and do all that extra **** with the hotel to seem powerful. He already seems to be rebounding though.

Peggy was great all around, she's really grown well as a character. I think she's sees through Don better than anybody else on the show.

Didn't like the home invasion scene, felt unnecessary but it proved how much Don is a stranger to his own family. I don't see his marriage lasting till the end of the season, something's gotta happen eventually.

Also, Mad Men has the worst previews for the next episode I've ever seen on a show, they give you nothing :lol:

Gotta really applaud them again for this ep. They really flipped it cuz I was amazed as hell at the directing and overall cinemotagrphy of an ep earlier this season but this ep it was like they did something with the sound in certain key scenes. The way Ken's tap dancing and fast talking sounded, Don trying to sell his idea (about that speech he was preparing to tell Sylvia) that had nothing to do with Chevy and Ginsberg just feeding off it rolling with him, the way this burglar was talking and trying to sell this lie, etc. It just all sucked you in to the point you almost felt like you were on something.

I just wish we had got to see Pete on this stuff.
Also, Mad Men has the worst previews for the next episode I've ever seen on a show, they give you nothing :lol:
I've begun to love that most about the show. As much as you watch the previews to try and pull anything about what will happen next week you get nothing. All the scenes are presented one way but after seeing them you realize in the preview they were nothing and completely taken out of context.

Go back and watch the preview for The Crash :lol: No way anyone could've expected an ep like that.

Anyway, I hope she ends up on the show:

View media item 420787

Last edited:
slide13-ytv-MadMen-Guests-14-Courtney-jpg_230019.jpg

holy ****!

I was waiting for them to sleep together. I always had a feeling it was going to happen.

Ive been wondering for a few episodes why Peggy was with old boy but I guess what he said in the ambulance explained it. I wonder where she will be when its all said and done.

I agree with the person here who said that Don's marriage wont last.

Something is up with Bob Benson. He mentioned to Ken that his father had died, which is why he sent the deli platter. But then he says to Pete the nurse is available because he brought his dad back to health. So either he lied to Pete about his dad being alive or he lied to Ken about his dad having died... OR there's something else going on.

Either way, really enjoyed the episode. Bobby saying "I'm Bobby 5" was great because he might actually be Bobby number 5 on the show since they're recasted the kid so many times.

Betty and Don sleeping together was long overdue and I do miss Betty as a way of breaking him down. "I love the way you look at me like this, but then I watch it decay..." and that sex with Don isn't the way to gain his love.

Peggy got knocked down a peg or four this episode :lol: First her neighborhood is unsafe, then her boyfriend gets stabbed, then she stabs him, then she's dumped, THEN Ted doesn't take the hint and rejects her... PLUS she's already been pushing Don away. She was devastated at the end of the episode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom