Maintenance on BMW 3 series?

Look for another Bimmer, OP.
Car in question has been in accidents and owner wants $13K on top of that :x
You could get an E90 at that price

This, dude is putting all the mods HE DID into the price of the car.

Cooling system over-haul cost 2-3k? Wth :lol:
Bro, maintenance is $ on any car. BMW cost a little more but, it's worth it. Look at it like this; if something goes wrong at 100k miles and you replace it, most likely you will be good for another 100k miles. So, you'll spend money but, won't have to again for a while. You HAVE to HAVE someone that knows what he's doing though as for labor or do it your self. In my personal opinion it cost more $ but, it's worth it. If you do end up getting the bimmer PM me and I'll tell you how to get that "2-3k" cooling system over-haul to cost $900-$1200.

What he said. I have an 2002 E46 facelift Sedan. I've had it since 2004 (second owner of a lease return). It's definitely worth the extra $ you spend on maintenance. I've replaced my own alternator, belts, radiator, power steering, belts, aux fan all from DIY. But at the same time - I'm lucky to know someone who used to work as mechanic for BMW Hollywood and works on his own here in San Diego. So he helped me with the bigger jobs and I probably spend 1/5 of what the dealer is charging.

View media item 205642

Last edited:
I def want a bmw, but scary **** like my mechanic having his 540 garaged due to issues got me thinking. This dude can fix his own **** and can find parts for cheap.

I just sold my 2009 E90 335i with an n54 as the warranty was over and had so much stuff go wrong with it. You name it I broke it.

What did I do - replaced it with an f30 Msport 335i

Here is my advice if you can afford a new one they are a stupid purchase bc they will stay in the shop. They are the only car I have ever had and I grew up with my entire family driving them. I would NEVER own an out of warranty BMW and would never own a 10 year old one bc that is asking for trouble.

I just sold my 2009 E90 335i with an n54 as the warranty was over and had so much stuff go wrong with it. You name it I broke it.
What did I do - replaced it with an f30 Msport 335i
Here is my advice if you can afford a new one they are a stupid purchase bc they will stay in the shop. They are the only car I have ever had and I grew up with my entire family driving them. I would NEVER own an out of warranty BMW and would never own a 10 year old one bc that is asking for trouble.

I'm surprised a 09 had that many problems. I'm guessing yours was modded because I know people with used 335's and they aren't that bad. Either that or you just had a lemon.

I honestly think it was a lemon, I had it since new and I probably exaggerated, but that n54 motor while powerful was problem filled. Hpfp, oil cooler, AF condenser, it was in the shop about 12 times in 4 years. I sold it with 35k, this new F30 is a dream

Alpine white on Coral red Dakota

To the OP whatever you do just be careful BMWs can be nasty, most notably the struts bc they are 3-4k no matter what model. Even though the car is only worth 5-10k it is still a 50k car to repair.

everytime i come in BMW threads i see a bunch of talk about replacing their bmw for a newer model you guys leasing or what? :nerd:

I honestly think it was a lemon, I had it since new and I probably exaggerated, but that n54 motor while powerful was problem filled. Hpfp, oil cooler, AF condenser, it was in the shop about 12 times in 4 years. I sold it with 35k, this new F30 is a dream

To the OP whatever you do just be careful BMWs can be nasty, most notably the struts bc they are 3-4k no matter what model. Even though the car is only worth 5-10k it is still a 50k car to repair.
and this is why i NEVER advise cats who barely getting by to struggle and get a out of warranty bimmer or any luxury german.

i dont get whats so bad about getting something powerful and american thats CHEAP to maintain, hell even some nice oldschool JDM is better in this regard as well.

Former E39 owner. Cooling system repair was 3k alone. After that...window failures, struts. .etc..got rid of it. My dumbass copped out of warranty.
Never again bruh.

Either get one new or get used with warranty. Preferably a CPO.

Blows my mind that people who are trying to save money buy german imports.

My friend who makes $12 an hour bought her e46 from an auto auction with 70k miles for 9k. Her BF is a BMW mechanic....her alternator just went....she can't even afford the part even though her BF does the maintenance for free. Hasn't had a car for a week and a half now......

to quote lupe fiasco...."Get your self a Camry...N**** said a Camry?!"

and this is why i NEVER advise cats who barely getting by to struggle and get a out of warranty bimmer or any luxury german.

i dont get whats so bad about getting something powerful and american thats CHEAP to maintain, hell even some nice oldschool JDM is better in this regard as well.

SO so sad but true. I honestly think some people are legit scared of driving powerful American Muscle because most true muscle cars are CONSIDERABLY harder to drive and control vs a new Bimmer. Euro drivers like to boast about about what their car can do Muscle car drivers boast about what they can do in their car.

As far as JDM... I think people dont mess with those like that because theyve become bigger theft targets than G-Bodys were in the 90's. :smh: Its a real shame.... Full coverage insurance is impossible to get on old Hondas in certain areas because theres such a great chance that car will get stolen within a year. :smh:

Last edited:
Blows my mind that people who are trying to save money buy german imports.
My friend who makes $12 an hour bought her e46 from an auto auction with 70k miles for 9k. Her BF is a BMW mechanic....her alternator just went....she can't even afford the part even though her BF does the maintenance for free. Hasn't had a car for a week and a half now......
to quote lupe fiasco...."Get your self a Camry...N**** said a Camry?!"

This, got people trying to ball with a last generation German car. Can't afford maintenance on it which it will need yet cop anyway. Keep your Lexus and stack your money and buy new or newer that has a warranty.

Back
Top Bottom