Man kills the 13th woman (at least) that he's stabbed in his life

Cliffs, then you can read the article if you want:

- Gets released from a SC prison in 1991 for stabbing at least 7 women (age 14-28) in the 70s, Two incidents, 2nd one is year after he's released from the 1st. 17 years served.

- Moves to NY and within months gets convicted of misdemeanor assault of a woman and serves 6 months in county.

- 1994, stabs woman who refused to date him 13 times. Pleads guilty to attempted murder and sentenced to 10-20 years, released in 2008 after 13 years.

- Tuesday gets arrested for killing a woman with 9 stabs in his basement apartment. Calls cops to let them know, later gets arrested and confesses, along with two other cold-case murders.

Man charged in Mount Vernon stabbing death attacked many women over years

MOUNT VERNON — A city man arrested in the stabbing death of a woman in his apartment Tuesday served more than a decade in prison for the near-fatal attack of a female co-worker.

Lucius Crawford, 60, is charged with killing the woman in his basement apartment at 7 Beekman Ave., the Mount Vernon mayor’s office announced. Authorities will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. to discuss details of the arrest.

Crawford was paroled in February 2008 after serving 13 years for attempted murder. He has lived alone at 7 Beekman for more than a year.

Mayor Ernie Davis said police went to Crawford’s apartment Tuesday afternoon to look for him for parole violations and discovered the woman’s body, which had been there for hours. He said she had not yet been identified. Cold case detectives in New York City apparently linked Crawford to “old crimes,” he said.

Cold Case Detective John Geiss and Detective Lt. Joseph Monaco, both of the Yonkers police, were also at the homicide scene but declined to say why. Details about how the woman was killed were not released.

The Westchester Medical Examiner’s Office removed her body late Tuesday afternoon. Police took Crawford into custody on Grand Street.

“My parents gave him another chance,” said Rachelle Leger, 25, whose father owns 7 Beekman. “He was a little weird but nothing out of the ordinary.”

She said her father learned about Crawford’s violent past only after he moved in and her father noticed his ankle bracelet, a device that monitors a person’s location.

She often would see him early in the morning, with his bicycle that he used to collect bottles and cans to trade in for money. On Tuesday morning, Crawford — wearing blue jeans and a hoodie — asked her father for $20, she said, noting he often would borrow money and pay it back.

Solomon Leger, Rachelle’s brother, said he saw Crawford about 11 a.m. returning to the apartment with a woman who appeared to be in her late 30s or early 40s. He said police later showed him a picture of the body, and he confirmed that it was her whom he saw.

He described Crawford as a quiet man who kept to himself. Leger knew about his past, and was concerned for the safety of his family. But he said Crawford never caused any problems with him.

“He was kind of timid, to the point where he was shy about everything,” Leger said. “He didn’t talk to people.”

Police put out a hotline for Crawford, describing him as a balding black man in his 60s, about 6 foot 1 and approximately 260 pounds. He was riding a bicycle, police said.

Crawford moved to Westchester in 1991 after his release from a South Carolina prison, where he had served two terms totaling 17 years for stabbing at least seven women.

In the first case, he served about three years. Less than a year after his release, he stabbed four females in a five-day spree, pleading guilty in 1977.

According to newspaper accounts of the case, the victims ranged in age from 14 to 28. One was a student at an elementary school. None of the stabbings were fatal.

In most of the cases Crawford approached and talked with his victims before attacking, Capers Barr, the prosecutor at the time, told the News and Courier. Barr told the paper Crawford “could give no reason for the stabbings.”

Within months of his arrival in New York, he attacked a woman in White Plains and was convicted of misdemeanor assault, serving six months in the county jail.

On May 10, 1994, Crawford stabbed a 31-year-old Yonkers woman — a co-worker at a job placement agency — who had refused to date him.

He pleaded guilty to attempted murder and was sentenced to 10 to 20 years in prison. Judge John LaCava told him, “I don’t know why you do these things, and I just pray to God that you never do it again.”

The victim, who was stabbed 13 times and suffered extensive wounds, told the judge that Crawford had “turned my whole life upside down” and that she hadn’t done anything “to deserve this pain and torture.” Reached at the family’s home, the woman’s son said authorities already had informed them of Crawford’s involvement in the Mount Vernon case.

Crawford was denied parole twice, in 2004 and 2006. But he was freed Feb. 8, 2008, when he reached his conditional release date — the point where an inmate has served six-sevenths of his maximum sentence with credit for “good time.”

His good time and the year he spent in the county jail following the stabbing shaved more than five years off his prison term, said Carole Weaver, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

His parole supervision is due to expire in 2014, the point when he would have been released if he served the maximum 20-year sentence.

Coincidentally, Davis, the mayor, said he met Tuesday with about 20 Mount Vernon clergymen to come up with ways to stop homicides and shootings in the city.

“I hope society never puts him in a position that he can hurt people again,” Davis said. “This is a person who needs psychiatric help.”

Last edited:
Not many NT'ers get to say they stabbed the yambs once let alone 13 times.

Last edited:
Released this guy twice? :x

3 times. In the 70s, TWICE in 1991 and in 2008.

How someone can just stab that many females and go free until he kills one 30 years after he started (then admit to 2 more murders) is unbelievable.

Captain Stabbin
nerd.gif

People like this don't deserve to walk amongst the rest of us.

He should have been sentenced to life after the very first conviction.

Last edited:
Damn shame. The system done goofed.

Goes to show that prison isn't a place for rehabilitation, but that's another story.

Must be white... jamal and juan doin football numbers for white n this dude murkin ppl every other decade n makin parole :smh:

Must be white... jamal and juan doin football numbers for white n this dude murkin ppl every other decade n makin parole :smh:

..... "Police put out a hotline for Crawford, describing him as a balding black man in his 60s""

- 1994, stabs woman who refused to date him 13 times. Pleads guilty to attempted murder and sentenced to 10-20 years, released in 2008 after 13 years.

I'm a little confused, did he stab her 13 times or did she refuse to date him 13 times. Makes a big difference, if someone refused to date me 13 times I'd probably stab them too

I'm a little confused, did he stab her 13 times or did she refuse to date him 13 times. Makes a big difference, if someone refused to date me 13 times I'd probably stab them too

that made me chuckle. reminds me of the James Bond skit on Family guy 23 no's and one yes, means yes. lol

Well played, I didn't word that well. Trying to give cliffs to help out and thought a timeline with details would help.

Wild that he was able to get out after that many stabbings over more than half his life until now that it comes out he murdered a few. One report is that he might be tied to others but I have no idea why he only confess to two cold cases at this point if that was true.

Back
Top Bottom