Mark Buehrle Throws a Perfect Game!!!!!

That catch by Wise was amazing. Buehrle is awesome, even though he plays for the Sox.

Kiddin Like Jason:
If he doesn't make that catch, that game is reduced to something that has happened dozens of times instead of something has now happened 18 times.
And if the catch wasn't to save a perfect game, he probably still makes it. That's my issue.

It's a catch we've seen plenty of times. It wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime, unexplainable catch that will never happen again.

You guys collect Nikes; you should know that the more there are, the less it is worth.
Exactly; the more there are, the less it is worth.

Problem is, you're reducing it to just a catch. 'Well, it was. The ball was in the air, then it was in his glove. That's a catch. Happens all thetime.'

How many perfect-game-preserving, 9th inning catches at the wall can you think of? Of course there are 'at the wall' and 'over the wall'catches weekly, but how many of them are in the 9th inning of a perfect game? He doesn't make that catch, it's either a double or a homerun, reducingthe game to either a potential one-hit shutout (assuming the double never turns into a run) or just a one-hit, 5-1 victory.

The surrounding circumstance definitely count. You're a big enough fan of sports to know that if you hit 100 freethrows in a row, then before your next one, I tell you I'll give a million if you hit, or you give me everything you own if you miss, you deserve a TON ofcredit for hitting it if you do. "Why would he deserve any credit? It was just a free throw, and he had just hit a hundred of them." P-shaw.
laugh.gif

But you can also look at that free-throw as its own seperate entity. Kool Aid could have been shooting his shots like Ray Allen for the first 99 atempts, andthen shot the 100th one like Shawn Marion, Chuck Hayes, or Gunna (if he plays ball). Yes, the ball went in. He made 100 consecutive shots, but as you'restanding there, in the back of your mind you can't help but go, "great achievement, but that last shot made was disgusting and made me sick to mystomach."

Wise's catch didn't make me sick to my stomach. It was a great catch and I understand its importance. I'm choosing to ignore the circumstance ofthat catch. I'm disregarding that the perfect game was on the line just like I'd disregard Kool Aid was going for his 100th consecutive shot. I'veseen better catches (I provided video of Granderson for example who is not an 'elite defensive outfielder' by the way) in my life time, this seasonalone, and probably this week that's not even completed yet.

It IS possible to analyze the catch as just that - a catch.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

���
I don't get why most of you are gushing over the fact that he bobbled the ball. Wise didn't scale the wall to make that catch - he didn't reach over . Wise jumped straight up, caught the ball and his momentum carried his glove past the fence. The ball should have landed in the webbing of his glove and he should have squeezed it. By failing to do that, he made it a more difficult play for himself.

Now Granderson got UP for his catch and caught it cleanly - don't even lie to yourself, that wall at Progressive Field is at least 2-3 feet taller than the wall in Chicago. And for the record, this was a game-saving catch too. Granderson didn't save a perfect game, but he without a doubt robbed Sizemore of a walk-off homerun. Wise's catch didn't get his team the win, it saved a personal achievement for his teammate. The White Sox were up 5 runs and it was the top of the 9th, so the White Sox were well�on their way to winning that game.�Granderson got his team the win with�that play alone.�It can be argued (with intellegent folks of course, so that rules out 95% of this forum) that Granderson's catch, setting included, is more impressive.
Glad to know you're a part of the majority.

If you want to just analyze the catch as just a normal catch and throw out the "perfect game" aspect of it, then its just a great play but nothingspecial.

But I don't see the point of discussing that cause it doesn't really get us anywhere.
laugh.gif

PlatinumFunk wrote:
Originally Posted by Dr 715

���
I don't get why most of you are gushing over the fact that he bobbled the ball. Wise didn't scale the wall to make that catch - he didn't reach over . Wise jumped straight up, caught the ball and his momentum carried his glove past the fence. The ball should have landed in the webbing of his glove and he should have squeezed it. By failing to do that, he made it a more difficult play for himself.

Now Granderson got UP for his catch and caught it cleanly - don't even lie to yourself, that wall at Progressive Field is at least 2-3 feet taller than the wall in Chicago. And for the record, this was a game-saving catch too. Granderson didn't save a perfect game, but he without a doubt robbed Sizemore of a walk-off homerun. Wise's catch didn't get his team the win, it saved a personal achievement for his teammate. The White Sox were up 5 runs and it was the top of the 9th, so the White Sox were well�on their way to winning that game.�Granderson got his team the win with�that play alone.�It can be argued (with intellegent folks of course, so that rules out 95% of this forum) that Granderson's catch, setting included, is more impressive.
Glad to know you're a part of the majority.

frown.gif
�You should probably know I tried 25480 times to embed that damn videoand lost just as many well written posts.

This thread is turning into a heated debate that Mike Francesa would have with a caller who makes a point he doesn't agree with
laugh.gif

Mez 0ne:
If you want to just analyze the catch as just a normal catch and throw out the "perfect game" aspect of it, then its just a great play but nothing special.

But I don't see the point of discussing that cause it doesn't really get us anywhere.
laugh.gif

Exactly. Sure someone can isolate the play and analyze it on it's own, but I think that's a little nit-picky and naive, in my opinion,because it wasn't just a regular ol' catch out there at the wall. It was a catch in the 9th inning of a perfect game. I don't understand saying itwas less than that when that's exactly what it was.

Nice....just saw this....I gotta see this catch you guys are arguing about
laugh.gif

^ nope

to the guy slurping Hunter, Rowand and Granderson, Wise is better, you're wrong, face it, deal with it, or log off. You're 100% wrong and that'snot an opinion. That's a fact.

Can't even begin to explain what a day this has been for me and continues to be.

That's my starting pitcher....one game, you give me any pitcher I want....you give me Mark Buehrle because when he's on...lights out

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sickickz23

^ nope

to the guy slurping Hunter, Rowand and Granderson, Wise is better, you're wrong, face it, deal with it, or log off. You're 100% wrong and that's not an opinion. That's a fact.

My dude is salty that no one in that 40 million dollar outfield could ever dream of making a catch like that

pimp.gif

Soriano would have never evvvvver made that catch

laugh.gif

I'm buying like 8 copies of tomorrow's Sun Times, maybe even a Trib too

I already got Mark's 07 no no on my iPod and this one isn't coming off the DVR until El Perfecto is up on iTunes

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ people trying to downplay the significance of that catch.
Acting like hitting a 3 to win a game in the last seconds is the same as hitting a 3 to start a game.

Haters goin' hate I guess...

For those that may not know, Buehrle ONLY pitches in the black uni because thats the uniform he threw his first no hitter in back in 07

One walk away from another perfect game

A walk to Sammy Sosa....whom he quickly then picked off

laugh.gif

While all this is happening nobody brings up the fact

Spoiler [+]
THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE NOW TIED FOR FIRST PLACE IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL

pimp.gif

g072309buehrleperfect7_cst_feed_20090723_16_56_07_9429-266-400.imageContent

pimp.gif

Coming into this game Carl Crawford was batting .480 against MB

laugh.gif

Also, someone should bring up the fact that the Tampa Bay Rays all stood in the dugout and applauded Mark once he'd thrown the perfect game

Classy young ballplayers

pimp.gif

You guys are TRIPPING, that was a sick catch

to make that catch in a situation that?

it was nice in general anyway

Back
Top Bottom