WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 release 3/20

probably not, they have a contingency plan for it for sure

they have their plate full with mcu films and disney+ shows anyways and they know strong arming and demanding 50/50 without any room to negotiate they know theres a good chance its not gon' go through

with that said, so far the deal just says feige wont be involved in producing/working but hollands spidey is still planned

so mcu might still be able to use spidey if they wanted to and whatever movie sony makes, they just do it themselves and have to get approval from marvel how they do the connection

i mean i am still not sure if venom is in the mcu or not, pascal seemed convinced that it was but then feige gave her the side eye like "nah uh!"

but hey, sony could pretty much just translate into spider-verse into live action and hollanderman goes to whatever universe venoms at?

but i feel like there are still a lot unanswered and I am not completely sure yet that he is completely out of the mcu... best case scenario if nothing changes is that we get a less than stellar solo spidey film but still see him in the mcu doing cameos

People are assuming that it was 50% totals and the same terms as the original deal...Not the case...Disney was asking for a 50% CO-FINANCE deal...

The original deal was Marvel paying Disney 5% on the front end and giving them all of the merchandise profits...

What Sony got out of the deal was all of the back-end, and the boost in being able to make use of the MCU talent (Marvel steering the ship)...Sony was footing the bill but were betting that the back end totals would more than make up for the costs...In the case of FFH they made a boatload off that billion+...

Disney had a pretty sweet deal until you figure that 5% front-end and merchandising is a fraction of what Sony pulled in on the back-end off of FFH...

Disney said keep your 5% front end and merchandising, instead give us half of the back end total and in addition to what we’re already doing (steering the ship) we’ll also pick up half of the production ~ merchandising costs...

Let's assume no more SM in the MCU.

It's a big character obviously so does Marvel then add a new hero (wolverine/X-Men) sooner than they wanted?

510FFF27-DAC9-405E-BAB0-3C47177B0707.gif

I know some think it’s too soon, but let’s remember that Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out in 2014. In 2016 (only 2 years later) a new Spider-Man was cast and debuted in CA:CW.

Logan came out in 2017. Obviously he won’t be in a MCU film this year, but it’s not completely out of the question that we see Wolverine much sooner than anticipated. Hell, we didn’t even know about Spider-Man in Civil War until the trailer dropped.

I know some think it’s too soon, but let’s remember that Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out in 2014. In 2016 (only 2 years later) a new Spider-Man was cast and debuted in CA:CW.

Logan came out in 2017. Obviously he won’t be in a MCU film this year, but it’s not completely out of the question that we see Wolverine much sooner than anticipated. Hell, we didn’t even know about Spider-Man in Civil War until the trailer dropped.
YOU* didn't know. We were counting down the days to see spidey in this movie. We knew months before

I know this is the MCU thread, but i'm still confused as to why some of yall refuse to blame the real culprit in this mess: Disney. They've gotten too big for their own good.
Cuz some ppl don't see it so black and white.

It doesn't help that Sony puts out poor quality movies and have been languishing for a decade in film not just superhero movies.

Plus it would make sense that you want to start profiting more off a situation where you do all of the creative work and it becomes a billion dollar franchise.

^^^
Unless there was a gentleman's agreement that was discussed prior that Sony would give Disney around the ballpark of what they're asking for now, but backed out last minute after receiving more than the expected outcome, I personally wouldn't blame Sony solely them for this. If we're talking about 5% to 50%, I understand why Sony isn't budging because it doesn't have to. From a business standpoint, Sony would be getting punked for accepting that.

^^^
Unless there was a gentleman's agreement that was discussed prior that Sony would give Disney around the ballpark of what they're asking for now, but backed out last minute after receiving more than the expected outcome, I personally wouldn't blame Sony solely them for this. If we're talking about 5% to 50%, I understand why Sony isn't budging because it doesn't have to. From a business standpoint, Sony would be getting punked for accepting that.

I think Disney might’ve floated that 50% as a high end really thinking Sony would counter down to where they were comfortable...The art of the deal and all...Sounds like Sony wasn’t open to any movement outside of the original front end 5%...

Did you see the lineup for Phase 4? Marvel Studios ain't worried about not having Spider-Man.
I don't get how ppl seriously thought a character owned by another company was really gonna be the center of the MCU going forward. That Spider-Man was literally gonna be the heir apparent to Tony Stark.

That'd be like Marvel comics licensing James Bond, making him leader of the Avengers, marry She-Hulk, have a kid with Misty Knight, definitively kill Dr. Doom, all leading up to a huge marvel event just for the license to be pulled.

It's just stupid. Business wise and all others.

I don't get how ppl seriously thought a character owned by another company was really gonna be the center of the MCU going forward. That Spider-Man was literally gonna be the heir apparent to Tony Stark.

That'd be like Marvel comics licensing James Bond, making him leader of the Avengers, marry She-Hulk, have a kid with Misty Knight, definitively kill Dr. Doom, all leading up to a huge marvel event just for the license to be pulled.

It's just stupid. Business wise and all others.
But FFH practically set him up as the heir apparent lol
Suit building theme song and all :frown:

I keep thinking about when Happy said, "I don't think he would have did what he did if he didn't know you would be here after"
I took that line as Marvel telling fans, "Don't worry, Spidey is not leaving anytime soon." I got faith that this will get worked out because I can't see Marvel Studios not planning ahead. For Spidey to just be gone and never mentioned again would be way too jarring. And I wouldn't dare watch a non MCU spidey film after this. Yall really went and watched Venom...

Not I. I streamed that mug lol
Venom was alright
Better than what I thought it would be but def nothing on par with anything MCU

He and Carnage are just super popular and will do #s regardless lol

Disney had a pretty sweet deal until you figure that 5% front-end and merchandising is a fraction of what Sony pulled in on the back-end off of FFH...

spidey is the most licensed hero in the world and earns a billion plus a year and that was back in 2014: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

plus part of the deal was that they could use Spidey in other MCU film (he has been in more Disney films than Sony films) so its not like marvel only reaped the benefits of just the 5% and billion $ on merch annually, spidey merch making disney way more money than sony is on their films since only one spidey film has made a billi and its probably safe to assume merch is always making the mouse a billi every year

its hard to quantify how much spidey brought in for cw, iw and eg but he was a big part of those and those movies wouldnt be the same without him so i think thats a bigger benefit than the 5%

also keep in mind, disney keeps the 100% merch $$$ even if they dont make a deal with sony so thats still a billi a year in their pockets no matter what and i dont think thats just on the spiderman character but the whole spider universe so venom, spiderverse, morbius, carnage, etc... merch are all disneys and according to this, sony has 900 spidey characters they can develop: https://www.inquisitr.com/5340323/m...er-marvel-characters-to-be-developed-by-sony/ :lol:

Last edited:
Not I. I streamed that mug lol
Venom was alright
Better than what I thought it would be but def nothing on par with anything MCU

He and Carnage are just super popular and will do #s regardless lol

Not me either.. shhh I barely got through the bootleg copy I watched and figured it might be better whenever I see it on cable and the picture is better

spidey is the most licensed hero in the world and earns a billion plus a year and that was back in 2014: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

plus part of the deal was that they could use Spidey in other MCU film (he has been in more Disney films than Sony films) so its not like marvel only reaped the benefits of just the 5% and billion $ on merch annually, spidey merch making disney way more money than sony is on their films since only one spidey film has made a billi and its probably safe to assume merch is always making the mouse a billi every year

its hard to quantify how much spidey brought in for cw, iw and eg but he was a big part of those and those movies wouldnt be the same without him so i think thats a bigger benefit than the 5%

also keep in mind, disney keeps the 100% merch $$$ even if they dont make a deal with sony so thats still a billi a year in their pockets no matter what and i dont think thats just on the spiderman character but the whole spider universe so venom, spiderverse, morbius, carnage, etc... merch are all disneys and according to this, sony has 900 spidey characters they can develop: https://www.inquisitr.com/5340323/m...er-marvel-characters-to-be-developed-by-sony/ :lol:
But apparently Sony is wrong for backing out lol

Pure greed at its finest by Disney. Now I’m ready for Sony to bring out Kaine and Silk

Back
Top Bottom