May Wrestling Thread | AEW Double or Nothing This Sunday

January JOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Entrance with Title 2.gif

What took so long? Were u not familiar with him prior?

I had liked Daniel Bryan’s gimmicks and his matches were good, but this was like his true coming out party for me. You saw him lead/carry a guy (no disrespect to Roman, but this match really elevated him and I’m sure when his career is done he will call back to this match) that was next in line to be the man. Sure, Daniel is talented, but when you really watch this match, he got to viciousness, he got to show emotions, he got to show all the little things that make wrestlers great. Prior to this, he was just a talented guy who could mix athleticism with technical wrestling.

That Fastlane Match against Roman, showed him from a different light. This time he was the man and had to bring someone else up. That’s a tough thing to do that many wrestlers cannot. I harken back to Okada and Omega just 2 years later. The first match we were all awed by Kenny’s ability to hang. I would equate Roman vs Batista in the finals of the 2014 Rumble match/him winning the 2015 Rumble. I equate the Fastlane Match to Okada/Omega 2, where you realize “Oh snap, Okada’s really the best in the world,” for how he led Kenny to the promise land again. Prior to that, I knew Okada was the man (he had been for 5 years at that point), but I didn’t realize why he was until that match and the match a couple weeks later against Cody in LA.

It probably also helped that I had just started to understand match structuring and psychology at the time. Once you learn, you can never unsee it. It’s a gift and a curse for sure. Borderline makes modern wrestling unbearable for me.

It probably also helped that I had just started to understand match structuring and psychology at the time. Once you learn, you can never unsee it. It’s a gift and a curse for sure. Borderline makes modern wrestling unbearable for me.

Can you speak on this?

What do you see?
What are you looking for?
Examples?

I come in Peace

Can you speak on this?

What do you see?
What are you looking for?
Examples?

I come in Peace

At the end of the day, wresting is an art. Just like theater, movies, etc. The problem is that it was it’s own art form that had not only characters, but people didn’t try to emulate others, but became their own. Just like movies tried to be original back in the day, but now every movie has to be an action movie, where illegal street racers can catch missiles with their hands. Wrestling has suffered the same fate.

Gone are the days where you could follow a match and see the true struggle between competitors. A 2nd wind is very common in all athletes, but an 18th? C’mon man. Dudes setting up spots 15 minutes before they come into play, dudes go through flaming tables and still have to get a 22nd false finish kick out because “I have to beat them with my finisher.” I get it, athletes are better now than they were in the 80s and 90s, but that doesn’t mean that the human body is magically tougher.

As for what I look for, it’s actually the basics. Can you keep me engaged? Does what you’re doing make sense in a fight? Are you going through the natural progressions of devastation? Are selling or registering previous damage done to you? A guy shouldn’t have an “injured” ankle and then pulling off a Sasuke Special, Spinal Tap, and 630 after said injury was exploited/inflicted. One of those is fine, but if he gets in his full array of flying attacks, there’s a problem.

Another thing I look for is what I like to call “Crisp Griminess.” 9/10 fights are not pretty, so in a combat simulation, I’m not looking for a Hong Kong action flick. Most of my favorite matches have some f ups in it, and that’s normal. Think Taker and Michaels at 25, the fact that Taker wasn’t caught, takes nothing away from the match. In fact, you respect him more for getting up and finishing. Punk vs Taker at Mania where the table didn’t break and Punk jacked up his knee. Still finished the match and had probably the best Taker match of the 2010 decade include Streak vs Career. Ish goes awry all the time, but there’s still a respect for certain wrestlers who can get out there and tell that story.

Today what we see (especially on NXT and in the indies) are battles that are so badly choreographed and not only are they choreographed, but they still blow the spot. That just takes me right out of it. It’s the attempt that bothers me the most. This spot makes no sense, it doesn’t even matter because the person is probably going to kick out, but now you’ve just made a fool out of yourself and the business for going for something you can’t pull off. And I don’t really have too many examples because I have barely watched any wrestling as of late, but I’m sure anyone reading this can call back to something they’ve seen this week that a person had no business going for the move and blew it.

Anyways for the TLDR, I look for wrestling to be a simulation of combat. Spots are fine, but please have an art to where they’re placed and don’t just do them because “it looks cool.” I’ll leave you with one of my favorite lessons I learned in wrestling: “It ain’t wrong if it looks right.”

Last edited:
Oh yeah to expand upon my original thought of emulation. (First Paragraph above)

Everyone today was influenced by Shawn Michaels. Problem is, everyone tries to be him. That’s another thing that a lot of people missed when they asked Shawn years ago who’d he like to work with.

He didn’t name any of his clones. He named Samoa Joe. Why? Because it would be a clash of styles and he’d be able to create so much more with a guy of his caliber as opposed to wrestling himself.

No offense to Cole, but does anyone really want to watch a Cole vs Gargano match? No because, they’re just the same. spam spam spam super kick spam spam spam false finish x17 spam spam spam Panama Sunrise number 8, voila Cole wins. Don’t let me get started on the Michaels’ influenced on the indies. Flair influenced Michaels and Austin. Who did they wrestle like? Themselves.

We all bite someone’s style in real life, video games, wrestling, art, movies, whatever. But people have really stopped trying to become their own. I look at YouTube and everyone uses the same face pictures with whatever their topic is to the side. Originality is fleeting more than ever in this social media era.

they edit out headshots on their videos now?

It's been like that on the matches they post to their youtube channel for a minute.

Not sure if it's the same for matches on Da Network.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:Cornette is such a coward..He did the old "hey everyone please look over here cause if people are watching I won't get beat up" routine..Such a sissy move..He really is a piece of s**t..
Yea, he tried to get loud to bring attention to the situation. Funny as hell.

If you talk THAT much behind people's backs, you better be ready to see folks when you meet up face to face. :lol:

At the end of the day, wresting is an art. Just like theater, movies, etc. The problem is that it was it’s own art form that had not only characters, but people didn’t try to emulate others, but became their own. Just like movies tried to be original back in the day, but now every movie has to be an action movie, where illegal street racers can catch missiles with their hands. Wrestling has suffered the same fate.

Gone are the days where you could follow a match and see the true struggle between competitors. A 2nd wind is very common in all athletes, but an 18th? C’mon man. Dudes setting up spots 15 minutes before they come into play, dudes go through flaming tables and still have to get a 22nd false finish kick out because “I have to beat them with my finisher.” I get it, athletes are better now than they were in the 80s and 90s, but that doesn’t mean that the human body is magically tougher.

As for what I look for, it’s actually the basics. Can you keep me engaged? Does what you’re doing make sense in a fight? Are you going through the natural progressions of devastation? Are selling or registering previous damage done to you? A guy shouldn’t have an “injured” ankle and then pulling off a Sasuke Special, Spinal Tap, and 630 after said injury was exploited/inflicted. One of those is fine, but if he gets in his full array of flying attacks, there’s a problem.

Another thing I look for is what I like to call “Crisp Griminess.” 9/10 fights are not pretty, so in a combat simulation, I’m not looking for a Hong Kong action flick. Most of my favorite matches have some f ups in it, and that’s normal. Think Taker and Michaels at 25, the fact that Taker wasn’t caught, takes nothing away from the match. In fact, you respect him more for getting up and finishing. Punk vs Taker at Mania where the table didn’t break and Punk jacked up his knee. Still finished the match and had probably the best Taker match of the 2010 decade include Streak vs Career. Ish goes awry all the time, but there’s still a respect for certain wrestlers who can get out there and tell that story.

Today what we see (especially on NXT and in the indies) are battles that are so badly choreographed and not only are they choreographed, but they still blow the spot. That just takes me right out of it. It’s the attempt that bothers me the most. This spot makes no sense, it doesn’t even matter because the person is probably going to kick out, but now you’ve just made a fool out of yourself and the business for going for something you can’t pull off. And I don’t really have too many examples because I have barely watched any wrestling as of late, but I’m sure anyone reading this can call back to something they’ve seen this week that a person had no business going for the move and blew it.

Anyways for the TLDR, I look for wrestling to be a simulation of combat. Spots are fine, but please have an art to where they’re placed and don’t just do them because “it looks cool.” I’ll leave you with one of my favorite lessons I learned in wrestling: “It ain’t wrong if it looks right.”
200.gif

Yea, he tried to get loud to bring attention to the situation. Funny as hell.

If you talk THAT much behind people's backs, you better be ready to see folks when you meet up face to face. :lol:

I bet so many people/teams he managed hated being around him outside the arena cause they was always having to keep his *** from getting kicked..I bet he's just an exhausting person in general to be around..I don't know how y'all can listen to him as much as y'all do..

Back
Top Bottom