MenofOregon - Question on trainers

I am having trouble deciding which training shoe to buy. They will be used for a kickboxing class, a lot of side to side movement, jump rope, squats andlunges.

My choices are Air Trainer Edge 08 or the Zoom TR Training.

The Edge is Air Max - is that full length or just heel?

I have been using mostly running sneakers in class...Shox and Tuned Air mostly...and going side to side they are bad and most of the time the muscles in myfeet hurt before anything else.

Coincidentally, I too am involved in kickboxing, specifically Muay Thai(kickboxing from Thailand). I normally use wrestling shoes, but then again, I am useto the "low to the ground", lightweight feel of a wrestling shoe. My foot muscles have grown accustomed to it.

If you're just starting out with kickboxing, your two choices are respectable ones. Both shoes will definitely have a different feel. The Air Edge Trainer`08 has a full-length encapsulated Air bag in the midsole, along with a cushioned sockliner that most likely has poron inserts underneath it. In addition, aPhylon midsole. It would be a "higher feeling" shoe, but definitely a well cushioned one.

In contrast, the Zoom TR is closer to the ground, which would benefit you by having better control for your quick movements. There is Zoom Air in the forefootand heel only. The Phylon midsole is not as thick as the Air Edge Trainer.

The bottom line is having to try them on and then mimic the movements that you would do in your class. Pay special ATTENTION to the traction. That has ahuge bearing on your decision, assuming that your class is held on hardwood...? Another shoe you might want to look at is the Free Trainer 7.0

Running shoes are definitely a no-no, because they have no lateral stability whatsoever. They are only made/designed to go in a linear(straight) motion.Plus, the BRS 1000 rubber outsole might leave marks on the hardwood floor.

Women tend to have more choices due to the fact that there are "step-aerobics", fitness dance, and cardio kickboxing classes available.

Hope this helps? Good luck with your class!

Will Nike be selling these? courtesy of SneakerFreaker... I don't kick-box... just curious as to where Nike's going with the Olympic line...

http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/sneaker-releases/Nike-Tkv-2008-Olympics/
Nike-Tkv-2008-Olympics-1.jpg

Thanks for the response. It is not a hardwood floor. Its interlocking padded flooring over a hard surface. Maybe hardwood not sure.

I have been going to the class for a few months now...great workout but sneakers have been terrible. I am leaning towards the Edge Trainers...sounds like theyare cushioned more.

Instructor recommends wrestling sneakers. Does nike make any for the public...i.e. the ones Roy Jones Jr. wears. I think they were called the chin checkas??

SinnerP...those things are nice...for people who are really into MMA.

also the SPARQ trainers, they don't seem like they are meant for indoor training especially kickboxing.

i have both shoes and the zoom tr is a safer choice. the edge trainer sits a bit higher in the midsole, therefore if you are doing squats chances of anklerollover will be a bit higher since the midsole is a little bit chunkier than the zoom tr. the zoom tr is lower to the ground, therefore you have a lowercenter of gravity which equals better stability.

Thanks Greg...i was leaning towards the Edge but now I will have to try on the Zoom TR.

I recently have been wearing the Jordan Team Elite II Low ... not bad but heavy

just buy both of them man :tongue: you won't regret it. seriously, it seems like the cushion in the edge trainer never dies

Back
Top Bottom