Michael Jordan to Blame for Riots Over Shoes: What Isiah Thomas Said and 5 Things He Could Do With N

This was to be an addition to the other thread,  http://niketalk.com/topic/324431/WSJ-Article-on-Nike-JB-s-marketing-methods#.Tv9WqTV8CSo  which was subsequently locked, for some strange reason
http://rollingout.com/business/entr...d-and-5-things-he-could-do-with-nike-profits/

Nike's Air Jordan debut sparked a herd of hellions to stampede to the nearest mall to empty their wallets for an exorbitantly priced shoe that will be outdated in a few months. Explosions of ugliness ensued in at least five different spots across the country in the form of riots, fight, shots fired, pepper spray and child abandonment a revolting showcase of ignorance at its mind-boggling worst. People who clamor and fight to buy shoes they can’t afford, which is endorsed by a man whom has never shown interest in his own community, is the apex of stupidity, insanity and, yes, depravity.

Jordan aint to blame for all the s#%* that went down, people need to take responsibility for their own actions and quit playing the blame game

Originally Posted by West Coast Avenger

Jordan aint to blame for all the s#%* that went down, people need to take responsibility for their own actions and quit playing the blame game
And to that comment, I re post this, as it shows how Nike looks to create such tensions,
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203899504577127042184523410.html

[h1]Nike's Footwork Yields Long Lines[/h1]

[h3]By DANA MATTIOLI[/h3]
Apple Inc. isn't the only company whose products are commanding a premium in a holiday season otherwise marked by steep discounts.

Nike Inc.'s Jordan line of sneakers is drawing iPhone-like lines of buyers despite iPhone-like prices.

The phenomenon underscores the strength of a brand that brings the company about $1 billion a year in sales. But it also reflects a strategic choice by Nike and its major retail outlets like Foot Locker Inc.: keep supplies of hot models limited and time releases for when target customers are in the best position to buy.

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

And to that comment, I re post this, as it shows how Nike looks to create such tensions,
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203899504577127042184523410.html

[h1]Nike's Footwork Yields Long Lines[/h1]

[h3]By DANA MATTIOLI[/h3]
Apple Inc. isn't the only company whose products are commanding a premium in a holiday season otherwise marked by steep discounts.

Nike Inc.'s Jordan line of sneakers is drawing iPhone-like lines of buyers despite iPhone-like prices.

The phenomenon underscores the strength of a brand that brings the company about $1 billion a year in sales. But it also reflects a strategic choice by Nike and its major retail outlets like Foot Locker Inc.: keep supplies of hot models limited and time releases for when target customers are in the best position to buy.

But the shoes are not limited and please find me another company that doesnt apply the same strategies as Nike. Its the actions of some of the people in line that causes these fights. Like I said before its just a blame game

^So because they release a shoe when people are known to have and spend money its their fault they act like animals?

Isiah is right.

Jordan is "all in."
A perfectionist, a pure competitor under the direction of that dollar bill mind control.
If the game is accumulating wealth, then there you go.
One doesn't have to get morally high & mighty, but like Marley said "Money can't buy life."

Originally Posted by natisfynest

^So because they release a shoe when people are known to have and spend money its their fault they act like animals?

Yes its the peoples fault, how you gonna put that on Nike? Its the same deal when people wait outside of Best Buy. For instance in CaLi when that lady pepper sprayed people waiting in line for a tv, was that Best Buy's fault???

Yes its the peoples fault, how you gonna put that on Nike? Its the same deal when people wait outside of Best Buy. For instance in CaLi when that lady pepper sprayed people waiting in line for a tv, was that Best Buy's fault???
There is no doubt that people are responsible for their own actions, you are one hundred percent correct. But as I've stated on the other thread, Nike purposefully planned this release as they did, targeting a specific demographic, using exploitative measures. Best Buy simply puts items on sale, not targeting anyone on payday, or those from a certain socio economic sector. 
I know white millionaires in Rhode Island that buy from Best Buy, and I know lower income African Americans who shop there as well.

This was to be an addition to the other thread,  http://niketalk.com/topic/324431/WSJ-Article-on-Nike-JB-s-marketing-methods#.Tv9WqTV8CSo  which was subsequently locked, for some strange reason
http://rollingout.com/business/entr...d-and-5-things-he-could-do-with-nike-profits/

Nike's Air Jordan debut sparked a herd of hellions to stampede to the nearest mall to empty their wallets for an exorbitantly priced shoe that will be outdated in a few months. Explosions of ugliness ensued in at least five different spots across the country in the form of riots, fight, shots fired, pepper spray and child abandonment a revolting showcase of ignorance at its mind-boggling worst. People who clamor and fight to buy shoes they can’t afford, which is endorsed by a man whom has never shown interest in his own community, is the apex of stupidity, insanity and, yes, depravity.

although i somewhat agree with the sentiments, that article is very poorly written.

This is silly. I was actually on Fox 5 Atlanta the day after the release talking about this. It's a simple matter of supply demand ad a few knuckleheads starting trouble. If you want to point fingers at someone other the knuckleheads blame the stores for not having enough security but this is flat out silly no different from any other shopping that goes on Christmas Time.

Originally Posted by eltouha

That is a matter of opinion. You may prefer the text and cadences of Proust, Shakespeare, then perhaps Thoreau, but others may find a deeper connection with the grooves of Baldwin, Hughes, and Ellison.
However, all of that is besides the point, as I am sure that you'll agree. 

this release was way more crazy than any iphone release period.... you can buy an iphone after it sells out the same thing cant be said about sneakers in general... once that restock is depleted thats it!

you want to know why that other thread was locked? and most likely this will get locked? its because this does not need its own thread. You could have just posted your links and articles in the original thread that blamed nike for the riots and mayhem.... hey i will even bump the thread so you can post this propoganda in there...

There is no doubt that people are responsible for their own actions, you are one hundred percent correct. But as I've stated on the other thread, Nike purposefully planned this release as they did, targeting a specific demographic, using exploitative measures. Best Buy simply puts items on sale, not targeting anyone on payday, or those from a certain socio economic sector. 
I know white millionaires in Rhode Island that buy from Best Buy, and I know lower income African Americans who shop there as well.
This comparison makes zero sense at all and is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen on NT.  JB/Nike is a company, Best Buy is a retailer.  Do you understand the difference between the two?  If anything compare Foot Locker to Best Buy. Best Buy sells other companies products in its stores as does footlocker. They do not make or release products themselves nor do they plan the release dates. Footlocker has cheap 40 dollar Filas as well as 200 dollar Nikes, same thing as Best Buy catering to different markets.  Video game companies roll out big system and game releases by the same schedule as do tons of other industries, whether clothing or electronics all purposefully plan release dates with the same critieria

You serious breh? Didnt the Cool Grey's release around the same time last year? Targeting specific demographics? LMFAO!! I didnt see a van with a Concord on it rolling through the hood nor did I see any billboards. There was virtually no promotion for this shoe besides sneaker blogs and word of mouth

Originally Posted by green rhino123

Isiah is right.

Jordan is "all in."
A perfectionist, a pure competitor under the direction of that dollar bill mind control.
If the game is accumulating wealth, then there you go.
One doesn't have to get morally high & mighty, but like Marley said "Money can't buy life."

Isiah Thomas still salty at MJ for shutting him out of the first Dream Team. 
laugh.gif

He should mind his business.

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

This comparison makes zero sense at all and is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen on NT.  JB/Nike is a company, Best Buy is a retailer.  Do you understand the difference between the two?  If anything compare Foot Locker to Best Buy. Best Buy sells other companies products in its stores as does footlocker. They do not make or release products themselves nor do they plan the release dates. Footlocker has cheap 40 dollar Filas as well as 200 dollar Nikes, same thing as Best Buy catering to different markets.  Video game companies roll out big system and game releases by the same schedule as do tons of other industries, whether clothing or electronics all purposefully plan release dates with the same critieria

You are one hundred percent correct.
However, please allow me to alert you to the following, there are other comments that came before what you've quoted, perhaps if you'd pay attention to that, reading through thoroughly, then following the flow of the thread, your comprehension may assist you with that blunder. What you take issue with, was already addressed.
Thanks, and be well. 

You serious breh? Didnt the Cool Grey's release around the same time last year? Targeting specific demographics? LMFAO!! I didnt see a van with a Concord on it rolling through the hood nor did I see any billboards. There was virtually no promotion for this shoe besides sneaker blogs and word of mouth
Please read the WSJ article, it explains in detail.

seriously op and his anti nike propaganda. 
laugh.gif
 at this point hes just reaching for anything 
jordan been targeting holiday shoppers for years. but guess what? its not just them. 
eek.gif
 businesses have been doing that for decades 
eek.gif
 shocking right?

LOL @ trying to go this route, whether its a brand or a retailer it does not make a difference they all coincide to release things when people have money you really over thought this too much and totally missed the point. You must be a child or a pre teen. The fact of the matter is its the people waiting in line for these releases that cause all the drama

Homey I dont need to read that Ive been knowing that, its no secret that Nike/Jordan targeted specific demographics a long time ago when his shoes first dropped.

LOL @ trying to go this route, whether its a brand or a retailer it does not make a difference they all coincide to release things when people have money you really over thought this too much and totally missed the point. You must be a child or a pre teen. The fact of the matter is its the people waiting in line for these releases that cause all the drama
You talkin to me? You better ask around who I am.....
What I said is that all industries are set up on release schedules according to the same critieria JB /Nike uses, but the retailer doesnt make these release dates...

Best Buy doesnt tell Sony when to release the new PS system, but the date is carefully planned out.

If this was supposed to address me and what I've stated, as soon as someone begins to insult, you've lost the debate.
Please allow me to apologize, as I do not think that I have slighted you personally here. The WSJ article was not written by me, nor the text in the link quoting Thomas.

However, the mood set by Nike and Footlocker, as per the article, was clear. Time the release, sell as many as possible, targeting those who do not know any better.

Homey I dont need to read that Ive been knowing that, its no secret that Nike/Jordan targeted specific demographics a long time ago when his shoes first dropped.
So you don't see how some people are taking issue with that, targeting Nike/JB and Footlocker? 

Back
Top Bottom