michigan vs. cornell vs. cal

made a thread a while ago about umich
i got into cornell too, and i'm most likely getting into cal
i'm trying to pick between the three, but they're apparently really similar in academic quality so its a tough choice
any opinions? cornell is the only one i havent seen, so id be especially interested in thoughts about cornell. i remember someone on here going to cornell
im doing business btw and im from cali
thanks
happy.gif

made a thread a while ago about umich
i got into cornell too, and i'm most likely getting into cal
i'm trying to pick between the three, but they're apparently really similar in academic quality so its a tough choice
any opinions? cornell is the only one i havent seen, so id be especially interested in thoughts about cornell. i remember someone on here going to cornell
im doing business btw and im from cali
thanks
happy.gif

Cal- weather
Cornell- Ivy prestige
UofM- eh, MSU >

I wouldn't base it off what i said by a long shot. Spend a weekend if you could at all of them. Ann Arbor is a great town, but MI winters is a complete turn off. A degree from any of the schools will go a long way (Cornell with a slight edge out the gate), but only as far as you allow it. Pick the one that will give you the best college experience and prepare you for a prosperous future at the same time.

Cal- weather
Cornell- Ivy prestige
UofM- eh, MSU >

I wouldn't base it off what i said by a long shot. Spend a weekend if you could at all of them. Ann Arbor is a great town, but MI winters is a complete turn off. A degree from any of the schools will go a long way (Cornell with a slight edge out the gate), but only as far as you allow it. Pick the one that will give you the best college experience and prepare you for a prosperous future at the same time.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to Cal? I mean in state tuition plus the fact that Cal and Mich are pretty much a wash academically. I am not sure which has a better business school overall it might be Michigan but Cal they are both top 5 public schools. Don't know much about Cornell but would moving all of the way to New York to go to a private school hurt you financially?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to Cal? I mean in state tuition plus the fact that Cal and Mich are pretty much a wash academically. I am not sure which has a better business school overall it might be Michigan but Cal they are both top 5 public schools. Don't know much about Cornell but would moving all of the way to New York to go to a private school hurt you financially?

First of all, congrats. I go to Cal, and I think we have one of the best business programs in the country (graduate and undergraduate). I think if in the long run, you plan to go to business school, keep
in mind that you will need to keep your gpa. Let me hopefully be one of many people to tell you that if you want that prestigious mba, it does not matter where you went to especially from the list of schools you provided, the main thing is to keep your gpa. Several of my friends are business majors, and they chose Cal over schools like upenn, northwestern, and emory. Also, I understand that the school has a great relationship with Haas, that is the mba school, and many berkeley undergrads get accepted there. I don't know too much about the other two schools, but this is my two cents.

First of all, congrats. I go to Cal, and I think we have one of the best business programs in the country (graduate and undergraduate). I think if in the long run, you plan to go to business school, keep
in mind that you will need to keep your gpa. Let me hopefully be one of many people to tell you that if you want that prestigious mba, it does not matter where you went to especially from the list of schools you provided, the main thing is to keep your gpa. Several of my friends are business majors, and they chose Cal over schools like upenn, northwestern, and emory. Also, I understand that the school has a great relationship with Haas, that is the mba school, and many berkeley undergrads get accepted there. I don't know too much about the other two schools, but this is my two cents.

Congrats all great schools

It's a Toss up between Cornell and Cal. Cal has the best of both worlds, prestigious academics and D1 athletics.
pimp.gif

Don;t sleep on UMich tho, I know so many smart people who graduated from there for undergrad
pimp.gif
And Mich is my fave football program....well they used to be.
eyes.gif

Congrats all great schools

It's a Toss up between Cornell and Cal. Cal has the best of both worlds, prestigious academics and D1 athletics.
pimp.gif

Don;t sleep on UMich tho, I know so many smart people who graduated from there for undergrad
pimp.gif
And Mich is my fave football program....well they used to be.
eyes.gif

Congrats. About to graduate from Cal. Business Admin at Haas is extremely good and once you get into the program, it's very chill. A lot of companies come out to recruit too so you have good opportunities. Good luck on your decision.

Congrats. About to graduate from Cal. Business Admin at Haas is extremely good and once you get into the program, it's very chill. A lot of companies come out to recruit too so you have good opportunities. Good luck on your decision.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Did your friends choose Cal over Wharton@UPenn. If so....what are they smoking? I got Wharton's job placement pdf from one of my Wharton buddies. Their school had around a 90% placement rate for undergrad jobs....40% of which were wall street. 20% being management consulting. Average all in compensation (performance bonus + salary) was around $105,000. Yes the undergrad program averages six figure first year compensation for. Freaking insane.

I don't know why someone would turn down a school with those kind of numbers.

As far as OP, choose Cornell. There are companies that recruit at Cornell that won't step foot on UofM campus.
If you can afford to go to an ivy, go to the ivy.
If you can't afford to go to an ivy, go to the ivy.

I will warn you though, some ivy league schools care cut-throat. If you aren't type A, it will be rough.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Did your friends choose Cal over Wharton@UPenn. If so....what are they smoking? I got Wharton's job placement pdf from one of my Wharton buddies. Their school had around a 90% placement rate for undergrad jobs....40% of which were wall street. 20% being management consulting. Average all in compensation (performance bonus + salary) was around $105,000. Yes the undergrad program averages six figure first year compensation for. Freaking insane.

I don't know why someone would turn down a school with those kind of numbers.

As far as OP, choose Cornell. There are companies that recruit at Cornell that won't step foot on UofM campus.
If you can afford to go to an ivy, go to the ivy.
If you can't afford to go to an ivy, go to the ivy.

I will warn you though, some ivy league schools care cut-throat. If you aren't type A, it will be rough.

Cornell or Cal should be the only choices here. Cal and Mich are very similar and weather, I'm being serious here, is the deciding factor. NEVER underestimate the importance of a good climate for college.

Didn't even know Cornell offered an undergrad business degree.Thrower, college isn't about job placement alone. Do you know how different a person's experience is at Cal against UPenn? It's immense. And just because he's he's going in as a business major doesn't mean he will be one. Heck, he might have a change of heart! That's never happened on a college campus before but OP could be the first. And then what we will cling to? The college he went to, not some numbers on how many people sold their souls to wall street. Plus Haas and Ross do well in recruiting.

Cornell or Cal should be the only choices here. Cal and Mich are very similar and weather, I'm being serious here, is the deciding factor. NEVER underestimate the importance of a good climate for college.

Didn't even know Cornell offered an undergrad business degree.Thrower, college isn't about job placement alone. Do you know how different a person's experience is at Cal against UPenn? It's immense. And just because he's he's going in as a business major doesn't mean he will be one. Heck, he might have a change of heart! That's never happened on a college campus before but OP could be the first. And then what we will cling to? The college he went to, not some numbers on how many people sold their souls to wall street. Plus Haas and Ross do well in recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom