Mike Greenberg thinks the NFL will fold in under 30 years

And where the amounts? Cause breaking even isn't making a profit :nerd:

100 outta 121 that are at least breaking even.

You implied that a large number were in the red.

You asked for reports so just follow the link I provided.

Papi

Last edited:
lol @ victimizing college athletes when they are on athletic scholarships. 

Post undergrad, I spent 3 years of my life working very hard and saving every penny to pay off all of my school debt. And I'm one of the few lucky ones. I have plenty of friends who have gone through hard times after college, months, years where they couldn't find a job, with a mountain of debt to repay still well into their late 20's. 

Now you have these athletes who aren't getting paid, but are getting a free education, and demonstrating their talents upon a huge audience for a chance to play at a professional level and be in the highest tax bracket in the nation. I would say these athletes in college have it pretty good. 

Last edited:
The 19 public school athletic departments that showed a profit in 2010-11 even without including revenue from the university, state or student fees.

So if I'm reading this correct only 19 schools made money strictly off college athletics ?

That list doesn't include the money made from other sources ?

The schools you'd expect to profit are doing so:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

But again, we know a Heisman winner is owed millions, his back up? Kid on the baseball wants some spending money. Going to pay him? The star football player that goes to the MAC school wants some money for the Tuesday night ESPN games? Are you differing amounts? Stopping at BCS level? Only football/basketball players?

Really, cause schools are only making billions off them

For most schools - Once they pump that money back into the athletic department to cover expenses for everything else - including giving other student athletes the opportunity to be at their school on scholarship - there's very little left, if anything. ie Just reported today that Tennessee's athletic department is 200 million in debt. That is likely due to spending money frivolously, but you get the point.

Want to rid all sports aside from basketball and football to compensate correctly a handful of players, that works. But it'd only just be screwing over thousands of people in the process. There's no easy answer.

I'm all for paying players, I know some are not only owed thousands, but millions - but I've looked at this stuff for writing school papers on the subject going back to when I was in High School and I've yet to find a way to do so unless a major change happens with schools and the NCAA. If anyone has a way to do it, I'd really like to know.

And it's not a matter of a stipend of a hundred bucks a week if we're trying to compensate, that'd accomplish little. We're talking thousands to the appropriate people. Enough work-study programs and 'meal money' hand-outs are exploited to make sure there's always some spending money around.

Post undergrad, I spent 3 years of my life working very hard and saving every penny to pay off all of my school debt. And I'm one of the few lucky ones. I have plenty of friends who have gone through hard times after college, months, years where they couldn't find a job, with a mountain of debt to repay still well into their late 20's. 

Now you have these athletes who aren't getting paid, but are getting a free education, and demonstrating their talents upon a huge audience for a chance to play at a professional level and be in the highest tax bracket in the nation. I would say these athletes in college have it pretty good. 

Nah dude, it's like working in McDonald's and getting paid in chicken nuggets.

Sounds like the NCAA has convinced you that it's okay that they are a farm system for the NFL.I'm sure they are very happy about that. This isn't about education

Last edited:
Violent sports in general like football, basketball and hockey are followed most closely by plebs. Since the country is full of dummies there will never be a shortage of viewers and participants. The smartest people I know don't give a crap about sports outside of the occasional game here and there, if that.

schools make money off football but they have to pump that **** in other sports like WOMEN ATHLETICS.....and most other sports don't turn a profit at all....football basically funds everything else 

Violent sports in general like football, basketball and hockey are followed most closely by plebs. Since the country is full of dummies there will never be a shortage of viewers and participants. The smartest people I know don't give a crap about sports outside of the occasional game here and there, if that.

The ****?

Smart dude, you in a shoe forum, talkin sports. So what category you think you slide in under?

The hell on. :smh:

You act these players wouldn't be in the NFL at all without colleges.

My brother is a senior on D-1 scholarship at a private school, when he graduates he's walking away scott free.

I have 30K in student debt.

Now my brother won in this set up, his education going to get him more than somebody who went to Alabama and other schools whose academic profile isn't that high.

However playing on a D-1 level is a full time job IDGAF what you say.

Someone who goes to Alabama isn't receiving THAT great of an education. I'm not trying to **** on Alabama's academic profile but it is what it is. A kid that stars at Alabama or any of these big money schools is losing.

I'm 30K in debt but I was able to get internships and things of that nature which helped me walk right into a job. My brother has literally done nothing but play football and go to school for 4 years and really hasn't had time to do anything else.

In today's world an education alone isn't going to cut it.

So when you combined the fact that coaches make millions off the blood and sweat of these athletes I just don't get how people are okay with this set up.

College athletics is literally the only realm that I can think where its not okay to be paid what you generate. Its pretty much antithesis of everything America is supposed to be about.

I have another theory why the general public is cool with this but I don't want to derail this thread even further.

Last edited:

My brother is a senior on D-1 scholarship at a private school, when he graduates he's walking away scott free.

Now my brother won in this set up, his education going to get him more than somebody who went to Alabama and other schools whose academic profile isn't that high.

Someone who goes to Alabama isn't receiving THAT great of an education. I'm not trying to **** on Alabama's academic profile but it is what it is. A kid that stars at Alabama or any of these big money schools is losing.

I'm 30K in debt but I was able to get internships and things of that nature which helped me walk right into a job. My brother has literally done nothing but play football and go to school for 4 years and really hasn't had time to do anything else.

So when you combined the fact that coaches make millions off the blood and sweat of these athletes I just don't get how people are okay with this set up.

College athletics is literally the only realm that I can think where its not okay to be paid what you generate. Its pretty much antithesis of everything America is supposed to be about.

I have another theory why the general public is cool with this but I don't want to derail this thread even further.

I would love to hear your theory.

schools make money off football but they have to pump that **** in other sports like WOMEN ATHLETICS.....and most other sports don't turn a profit at all....football basically funds everything else 
Very true, I think only 5 or less schools or athletic programs as a whole make a profit or break even.  One of them is Texas I believe. 

Im guessing the theory is because most of people being taken advantage of are... young Black men.

Last edited:
I think you guys are completely delusional and do not see the paradigm shift that is taking place/going to take place and that is exactly why I think it is going to take place (I am a contrarian after all)

You guys are not focusing on where the cracks will begin to take place.

Once parents stop supporting High School football....the NFL falls off the map. Football is not a sport you can just pick up. Yes people will want to play but they wont be able to, they will not be as good. The quality of play on the field will suffer and then the fans will leave. The NFL is due for a swoon anyway the same one that happens to all sports. The perfect storm is brewing for the NFL and to discount it would be silly fellas.

Once the head injury research become mainstream and the fear mongering begins a lot of parents are going to stop their kids from playing football from Pee-Wee up to the High School level.

Will that fold the NFL? probably not, that is the extreme. but it can totally change the landscape.

NFL players need LESS equipment so they do not run around like heat seeking missiles. It is the only solution that no one wants to try because it is the only solution that will work. There is no way to make two objects colliding at full speed safer except to lower the speed at which they collide.

See the forest not the trees guys, I am pretty sure the NFL has "peaked".

Last edited:
It's late but ill try to draw an analogy. Paying college players over the table is like legalizing weed.

The only ones that want things to change are those that are on the outside looking in.

Top college players are well compensated, and have plenty of perks.

NFL players need LESS equipment so they do not run around like heat seeking missiles. It is the only solution that no one wants to try because it is the only solution that will work. There is no way to make two objects colliding at full speed safer except to lower the speed at which they collide.

Interesting point raised here. I wonder if there is a drastic difference in the types, severity and frequency of injuries between Rugby (7 a side, due to more open field play) and American football. Depending on what the comparison show the amount of padding/protection could be actually detrimental to the safety of players as you said.

"football" will be played I think just not as we know it...

View media item 241132
Soon the real "football" (soccer) will take the top spot. :tongue: :smokin

After seeing my 11 year old nephew get a concussion in a game (and just how hard they hit and their heads jolt), I would love for my son to avoid the sport. The sport will be affected in the future, but not sure how drastic

:lol: billions per school

As far as the other discussion, I'm in for some sort of compensation but again so many different levels, sizes, etc, going to be hard to out something in place (unless you just open it all up and let whatever happens happen)

Last edited:
I

YES!

If the NFL falls apart, it won't be because of a sudden lack of interest from fans due to rule changes.

It'll be because it couldn't withstand the fallout of losing 4,000+ lawsuits against them for injuries/health concerns.

Back
Top Bottom