Millennial Money Thread: How to Make it in America on Certain Salaries

OT is crazy. I got two homies that are firefighters in the town we group up in and another town over. two straight shifts of 48 hours and they can take a third day (24 hrs) and its all racked up as OT

thats how vallejo got bankrupt lol

he charges the companies expenses to his card and the company reimburses him

my girl is high up at her company and pays for everything with her card, company pays he for all expenses charged. So collects TONs of points for flight and hotels on her travel cards. low key wanna give her one of my cash back cards to use :lol:

I work in consulting and this is par for the course.

You're typically floating a couple thousand due to hotel, food, and flight fees but you collect points in mass because of it. A lot of the vets at my company are lifetime platinum elite and enough airline points to fly wherever free with free seating upgrades.

Unfortunately the work is boring AS ****. Im already looking for a way out :lol:

No thanks Jeff, I'll stick with a certified CPA.

You trying to get someone audited with that bootleg ****. :lol:

The things you never want to hear from an "accountant,"..."I'll hook up up." ESPECIALLY one from NYC. I know more people that got audited for trying to beat the system :lol: **** always comes back. If there's anything I've learned, have an actual CPA prepare your taxes once you get to a certain point in life. Last thing you want is the IRS/feds on your *** for negligence or fraud.

I work in consulting and this is par for the course.

You're typically floating a couple thousand due to hotel, food, and flight fees but you collect points in mass because of it. A lot of the vets at my company are lifetime platinum elite and enough airline points to fly wherever free with free seating upgrades.

Unfortunately the work is boring AS ****. Im already looking for a way out :lol:
Props man, it's good $$$! - One of my best friends does management consulting and he is already struggling to find time to work out, I don't know how he does it.

Lol OT sucking life out of people. You don’t need to be in trades if you really about OT.

80% of Toronto ubers after they finish their 9-5 just to cope.

Props man, it's good $$$! - One of my best friends does management consulting and he is already struggling to find time to work out, I don't know how he does it.

It is good money but if theres one thing i've learned since i've moved on from survival mode is that money isn't everything and most definitely doesn't equate to happiness.

The perks are a significant pro but the trash work-life balance is a significant con. Starting to hate going to bed knowing I have to wake up and come to this job tbh.

It is good money but if theres one thing i've learned since i've moved on from survival mode is that money isn't everything and most definitely doesn't equate to happiness.

The perks are a significant pro but the trash work-life balance is a significant con. Starting to hate going to bed knowing I have to wake up and come to this job tbh.

This says it all. Time to move on, bro.

There's nothing like having a healthy work/life balance. For me, I NEVER compromise my family time for the job. I do my best to not bring any work home. I have a 35 minute drive to work in the morning and that's when I do my thinking about my plan for the day. As soon as I walk out of the door in the afternoon, I compartmentalize. Work related **** is out of sight, out of mind until I get in my car the next morning. I don't answer work emails when I leave and NEVER on the weekends. The second you do that, that's when folks will think it's OK to invade on your time away from the job.

Well, I'm rambling now, but you get the point LOL.

This says it all. Time to move on, bro.

There's nothing like having a healthy work/life balance. For me, I NEVER compromise my family time for the job. I do my best to not bring any work home. I have a 35 minute drive to work in the morning and that's when I do my thinking about my plan for the day. As soon as I walk out of the door in the afternoon, I compartmentalize. Work related **** is out of sight, out of mind until I get in my car the next morning. I don't answer work emails when I leave and NEVER on the weekends. The second you do that, that's when folks will think it's OK to invade on your time away from the job.

Well, I'm rambling now, but you get the point LOL.

Facts, im aware.

Already working now to create new opportunities to get me out of here, I just need to persevere for the next 3-6 months and be consistent in my self-teaching.

Its been eye-opening being in this position though

Facts, im aware.

Already working now to create new opportunities to get me out of here, I just need to persevere for the next 3-6 months and be consistent in my self-teaching.

Yea...seems like you got good perspective on the big picture. One of my closest friends left Deloitte to work for a Chinese hedge fund. Got him working round the clock and on holidays. Couldn't tell you the last time he had Thanksgiving or Xmas w/ his family. He put on a ton of weight and was losing his hair. That stresssss SMH. He told me the money was amazing, but he wasn't happy. He's still there after 5 years, but man....couldn't be me. I'd be missing out on way too much outside of work. Outside of my family, there is nothing I value more than time. Which is something you can never get back.

Facts, im aware.

What have you learned?

onthenephs onthenephs but they aren’t making 50+ an hour like all the trades are when you’re on OT. Plus you’re contributing to your pension every hour worked.

Come to the dark side of PE/VC and then talk to me about hours lol.

That dude making 175 a year that’s AFTER bonus. Idk any associate making that as a base.

What have you learned?

How dudes that grit their teeth and go to jobs they hate day in and day out for decades feeling powerless to break the loop turns even the most compassionate of men (and women) cynical and prone to health issues. Waking up to go to a job that falls under your tolerance threshold starts your day off with a bad energy and you just carry that over the course of the day.

Come to the dark side of PE/VC and then talk to me about hours lol.

If I loved flipping burgers I could tolerate flipping burgers 80 hours a week. That's not the argument being presented

I hated M&A and got out, what are you waiting for?

Time>Money

To become such a competitive burger flipper I can land a job at the company i'd like to be employed with.

That takes time. Falls under the tech tree but it's a completely different branch.

To become such a competitive burger flipper I can land a job at the company i'd like to be employed with.

That takes time. Falls under the tech tree but it's a completely different branch.

Let me know how I can help. Headed to San Jose next week.

Let me know how I can help. Headed to San Jose next week.

It's software development, already got my books and a notepad full of ideas for pet projects so I should be good, appreciate it though! Just on me to be consistent in my study.

I would already be in it if I had/knew of resources back when I got my first real job if I had any type of mentor.

Resources for black americans considering the tech industry are extremely lacking.

Back
Top Bottom