Millennials have a decreasing sense of commitment to their employer/organization

The Washington Post article is about millennials leaking government secrets, but within the article it brings up the point that Millennials are less attached to the organization which they are employed by.

Employee loyalty is a two-way street, and for millennials, traffic has slowed to a crawl. Companies are investing less in workers. “Among the reasons cited for this,” according to the Wharton business school: “the recession, during which companies laid off huge swaths of their employees with little regard for loyalty or length of service; a whittling away of benefits, training and promotions for those who remain; and a generation of young millennials (ages 15 to 30) who have a different set of expectations about their careers, including the need to ‘be their own brand.’ ” In a nomadic world, one of the casualties is a decreasing sense of commitment to the organization.

Wharton management professor Adam Cobb says that over the past 30 years, the trend in business has been to have more risks shouldered by workers instead of companies. That means firms would rather hire an applicant like Snowden or Winner who already has high-value skills that someone else paid to develop. For employers, it’s a bargain, but it comes at a price: “If I’m an employee,” Cobb says, “that’s a signal to me that I’m not going to let firms control my career.” It would be uncharacteristic of millennials to sit loyally until our bosses don’t need us anymore; we’re proactive.

Since we can’t get too attached to particular employers, millennials are encouraged by baby-boomer-run institutions to find internal motivation, to live out our values through our frequent employment choices, and we’ve heard them loud and clear. A study of college-educated millennials from Bentley University’s Center for Women and Business found that they were unwilling to “tolerate unpleasant workplaces that do not allow them to be their authentic selves in expressing their personal and family values” and that “they will seek other options, such as starting their own companies, if they cannot find workplaces that accommodate their personal values.”

Washington Post Article

The days of staying with one company your whole life are fading away. It's a cutthroat business, when your skills are needed no more, the company will dump you and move on.

I've been seeing more articles, talk about young people pursing their own startups. It lets them control their own future, their own boss and not be at the whim of their employer.

I'm not a millennial and I've been feeling this way since I started working for real.  I absolutely hate working for the man.  

u know what i hate about work
the fakeness of it
we all act fake at work
we all know we act fake at work
but we all continue to act fake
just like during an interview
we all say the right ****
that we all know we suppose to say
but we all know its bs
so why do we even all front if we know we all front

All these useless articles/studies about millennials. Sounds like hate. And yes we ain't attached to **** since everything is within grasp. The world is a lot smaller but is more vast than ever, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
**** these goofy *** millennial hating articles

And yes we ain't attached to **** since everything is within grasp. The world is a lot smaller but is more vast than ever, if that makes sense.

You ain't never lied son

Last edited:
I'm a millennial and I can see myself staying at my current job for 10 years or more. Of course I plan to pursue outside endeavors but I'm pretty comfortable where I'm at now. I think some of this millennial job hopping stuff is related to compensation. 9 times out of 10 you will get paid more in your career if you get a new job every few years in contrast to getting a raise/promotion at you current employer.

Yeah, I think you can't generalize every millennial stereotype to everyone in that age group. But it's close though lol.

For me, I really think in the way of showing some tenure in my career before moving on to a new company. IMO, I feel like it'll look good in the long run.

And I understand the people who jump from job to job within six months to a year, for higher pay. But I feel that works for specific fields. Idk.

I just want to get into the tech field, but it's tough finding an opportunity within my current pay grade. 

I mean... We did see our parents go through the greatest recession since the great depression.

When I noticed how quick they were to fire people who dedicated their lives to the company, I knew I had to be team me.

There is no loyalty. Ive seen people where I work who've been there since the beginning get laid off.

The only way Im loyal to a company is if I was an investor or owned the company. Im there to do my job and collect a check and best believe Im always looking for better opportunities.

I just started a job 3 months ago and I'm already about to leave for more money. I feel bad but I know if they wanted to get rid of me they wouldn't give me any slack

I think my parents careers had a big effect on me never taking jobs seriously. Don't get me wrong I handled my business. But seeing them work for places 30 years + and at the end, let them go like it was nothing. These jobs don't give a damn.

Loyalty isn't and can never be paid for in dollars. People are loyal to those that sacrificed for them. At work, unless you run the company or make key decisions, you're expendable and even then, you're expendable if your decisions aren't turning profits. That's not loyalty from the company, so why would anyone with sense be loyal?

Back
Top Bottom