MIS majors

Help me out here by letting me know how you like it, and what exactly it is. I have a basic idea but would like to know more before I make my decisions.

Idk if anyone remembers but like last week I think I made a thread about changing majors from EE/CPE to MIS or Finance, well I've narrowed down to MIS now with a concentration in Information Assurance. I already spoke with an adviser today, and he said that it would only set me back a semester and I should be able to keep my Co-op. Now I really just want to hear some personal stories from people who are actually in that field or working towards it.

I'm pretty knowledegeable in software, I'm still learning but I enjoy it and that's basically what I've been doing at my job mainly used C and C++. What I lack in is "people skills", like most engineers. With my background in software I figure Information Assurance would be the best way to go.

So yeah, how does the future outlook for MIS people look like, what could I expect as an average starting salary, and most importantly how are you enjoying it?

Help me out here by letting me know how you like it, and what exactly it is. I have a basic idea but would like to know more before I make my decisions.

Idk if anyone remembers but like last week I think I made a thread about changing majors from EE/CPE to MIS or Finance, well I've narrowed down to MIS now with a concentration in Information Assurance. I already spoke with an adviser today, and he said that it would only set me back a semester and I should be able to keep my Co-op. Now I really just want to hear some personal stories from people who are actually in that field or working towards it.

I'm pretty knowledegeable in software, I'm still learning but I enjoy it and that's basically what I've been doing at my job mainly used C and C++. What I lack in is "people skills", like most engineers. With my background in software I figure Information Assurance would be the best way to go.

So yeah, how does the future outlook for MIS people look like, what could I expect as an average starting salary, and most importantly how are you enjoying it?

thanks, it's looking like that's the way I'm going.
Just doing a little bit more research before I do it.

thanks, it's looking like that's the way I'm going.
Just doing a little bit more research before I do it.

this is probably no help but just in case...

i got my degree in MIS back in 2002. Techncially speaking, it wasnt MIS, but B.S. in Business Admin with an emphasis in MIS with a concentration in e-commerce (thats just how my schools degree program was setup).

I have no MIS workplace experience (which is why my experience will be of no help to you). At the start of my last year in school, I decided that I HATE this stuff. I enjoyed the marketing/design component of e-commerce (kinda... well... not really), but I did not like the "lightweight" technical side of it (learning the different languages). I was not cut out for looking at code, writing code, managing databases, or anything of the sort. I like dealing with people more.

The one good thing is that I was able to still utilize my degree to pursue other careers in the business world. I have been working in finance for the last 7 years and thoroughly enjoy what I do.

I just graduated as a MIS major this past march and i have been looking and interviewing for jobs ever since. My recommendation is to gain as much experience as possible before you graduate (internships, volunteer, etc.), also make sure that your accume gpa is at least a 3.2 because many entry level jobs at well known business require this. Im getting set back now because of my gpa which sucks but im sure ill find something soon, there are lots of jobs for MIS majors out there. Oh yeah most IT jobs like someone with good written and verbal communication skills; so I would suggest getting some sort of customer service experience or something to help build your people skills.

this is probably no help but just in case...

i got my degree in MIS back in 2002. Techncially speaking, it wasnt MIS, but B.S. in Business Admin with an emphasis in MIS with a concentration in e-commerce (thats just how my schools degree program was setup).

I have no MIS workplace experience (which is why my experience will be of no help to you). At the start of my last year in school, I decided that I HATE this stuff. I enjoyed the marketing/design component of e-commerce (kinda... well... not really), but I did not like the "lightweight" technical side of it (learning the different languages). I was not cut out for looking at code, writing code, managing databases, or anything of the sort. I like dealing with people more.

The one good thing is that I was able to still utilize my degree to pursue other careers in the business world. I have been working in finance for the last 7 years and thoroughly enjoy what I do.

I just graduated as a MIS major this past march and i have been looking and interviewing for jobs ever since. My recommendation is to gain as much experience as possible before you graduate (internships, volunteer, etc.), also make sure that your accume gpa is at least a 3.2 because many entry level jobs at well known business require this. Im getting set back now because of my gpa which sucks but im sure ill find something soon, there are lots of jobs for MIS majors out there. Oh yeah most IT jobs like someone with good written and verbal communication skills; so I would suggest getting some sort of customer service experience or something to help build your people skills.

Dude,

I was a MIS major and graduated last year. Had 6 job offers before walking across the stage all paying well and I mean WELL above average.

Go for it, network, and shine!

If you want more information, let me know. I love it and enjoy the work, not so much the work environment being the government and all, but everything else is pretty straight.
pimp.gif

I dont know if its my skill set, but I frequently 'play' and tether in the job market and I always get many calls to being hired. 

Like DWill says, get a high GPA and learn some type of software you can build off of... 

Dude,

I was a MIS major and graduated last year. Had 6 job offers before walking across the stage all paying well and I mean WELL above average.

Go for it, network, and shine!

If you want more information, let me know. I love it and enjoy the work, not so much the work environment being the government and all, but everything else is pretty straight.
pimp.gif

I dont know if its my skill set, but I frequently 'play' and tether in the job market and I always get many calls to being hired. 

Like DWill says, get a high GPA and learn some type of software you can build off of... 

My GPA now is a 2.3 which is crap, I'm wondering if I will be able to just drop some of those classes that I wont need now.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure more questions are going to come back up. I have a cousin in Atlanta who is in database too so gonna ask him how he's liking

My GPA now is a 2.3 which is crap, I'm wondering if I will be able to just drop some of those classes that I wont need now.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure more questions are going to come back up. I have a cousin in Atlanta who is in database too so gonna ask him how he's liking

Back
Top Bottom