Mixtape/Feature Question...

In light of some of our infamous Dom Kennedy, how do these cats get great beats (K.E. On The Beat, Mike Will Made It, Sonny Digital, The Honorable C Note, Nard N B, etc... obviously not D.K.'s) & features (Ross, Kendrick, Too $Hort, whomever) have the budgets to do all of this FO FREE? 
I'd just appreciate it if NT put me on. Obviously I know alot of these cats respect each other and what not. Is it all favors...? From the vets it would be appreciated if knowledge could be dropped. Thanks 

how u figure they dont have the budgets to do such things?

don't be fooled by the new age of acting more underground than u really are... a lot of people have investors

I've always wondered this but I'm pretty sure someone is getting paid. Whether it's investors or tour money or they're secretly signed and that's apart of their advance money

im not saying they dont have the budgets but how do they do what they do to release content for free? this a discussion post. would love to hear how it really works. obviously alot of the cats who do the mixtape numbers drop retail shortly thereafter but not all..

supposedly chief keef was signed prior to the signing etc, but part of the advance? they making these dudes do dances to actually drop albums off at the label? it cost alot of money to make studio albums. alot of the mixtapes we are seeing are on par with retail advances.

man wiz was signed to atlantic right before kush and oj came out... the wake n baken tour was put together by them... they let him ride that underground +#+! out for a while then announced the signing like it was new...

and like i said they arent paying for the +#+! yet... the unsigned ones... but they have investors (money behind them from people that are not a record label) they may recoup some off of shows (thats where artists get the bulk of their money... especially underground ones) but most likely they're waiting for that deal to happen to get their cut...

a lot of +#+! in the industry is favor based too... this is a hypothetical example but say dom's manager, or someone else in his camp, looked out for ross sometime in the past whether it was getting him a beat, drugs, feature, etc... ross would have no problem droppin a verse... im pretty sure their labels aren't that strict on charging for a mixtape verse... its extra publicity for their artist

thank you for your responce musicalexcellence, much appreciated. what about the producers tho? if these producer's doing retail they talking bigger money. is it just get the name out? IMO for your example...Wiz was already shutting down. what happened with him and Rostrum? bought out by the big guys? I see the manager angle now. But it's still a pirates land no mo. money to be made at every angle... expand please!

Sometimes producers will slide you free beats if they feel it will help their Resume
That's what I did for J-Lie, he works with SlowBucks and had Jim Jones, Kendrick Lamar, Waka Flocka, and Trae the Truth.... appear on his mixtape so its def a good look just to be on there with those names, plus Im banking on him getting even bigger.

any producer who isn't at the top of the food chain yet would consider that to be a pretty good look

Back
Top Bottom