More drivers falling behind on their car payments

Didnt you sign a form that told you how much the rate and term of the loan was?

Last edited:
Can confirm. I had a dealer try to put up my loan term by 12 months (dat interest :x), had I not have taken finance classes and calculated everything I would have only looked at "Due each month" number and be in the hole before the car was paid off.

I believe I said that I wasn't married. Either way doesn't matter if I am or not, simply being in a relationship isn't enough to change this.

In regards to not being married I don't need to be married in order to weigh in on the dynamics of marriage. The "You don't know cause you don't live it" argument holds no water here.

Not everyone on this website is a professional athletes yet S&T is active with people discussing sports and the athletes that play them.

There's a thread on here where people discuss every drivable car in the world yet they don't own or have even driven said cars.

So yeah.

I LOVE talking sports w/ you bro....but I honestly don't think you believe 1/2 the **** you say regarding relationships.

Obviously you don't need to be married to have an opinion on marriage, but you have a lot to learn. I damn well guarantee (if you're not trolling) you're setting yourself up nothing but relationship failures down the road. It's not even based off of your insane viewpoint(s) in this thread.
That's fair. I think it'll all be good though. Everyone's entitled to have some things that they don't feel it'd appropriate to share.

Yeah right, I was supposed to be given a 60mo loan and the finance guy put it in for 72mo. DIdn't find out until my first statement came in the mail.

They lied about the rate that I could get, saying I had to put additional money down for the lower 2.9% rate.

Found out later that this was a lie.

They lied about not being able to honor my True Car certificate pricing and doing my loan through USAA at 1.7%. Saying I could only get that pricing if I financed through them to get all of the rebates.

Please don't tell me what these dealerships are not doing.
Sure, they lie. Everyone does.  But who's fault is it that you signed the contract?  On the contract that you signed, it clearly stated the terms of the loan agreement.  If for any reason, this changed - you have every right to terminate said contract. Once again, perhaps "you" decided to keep the car regardless.

Last edited:
Didnt you sign a form that told you how much the rate and term of the loan was?
Of course. There is always a contract, that should've been read carefully which noted the agreement terms.
Can confirm. I had a dealer try to put up my loan term by 12 months (dat interest
sick.gif
), had I not have taken finance classes and calculated everything I would have only looked at "Due each month" number and be in the hole before the car was paid off.
That's the issue, the majority of people are ONLY worried and focused about the "due each month" number.  

Last edited:
You completely ignored everything else lol. So its okay for them to lie and mislead? How am I suppose to know what is true and whats not?

I ask for a 60 mo loan I expect a 60mo loan, not for them to switch up everything before I sign. I missed the loan term I just saw the same payment and assumed it was correct, that was my fault.

I refinanced , so the loan doesn't even matter now. It's just the experience in general nothing but lies and them trying to snake you out of money.

Unless you are experienced with buying cars or have someone with you, you will get finessed. Learned my lesson.

You completely ignored everything else lol. So its okay for them to lie and mislead? How am I suppose to know what is true and whats not?
I ask for a 60 mo loan I expect a 60mo loan, not for them to switch up everything before I sign. I missed the loan term I just saw the same payment and assumed it was correct, that was my fault.

I refinanced , so the loan doesn't even matter now. It's just the experience in general nothing but lies and them trying to snake you out of money.
Unless you are experienced with buying cars or have someone with you, you will get finessed. Learned my lesson.

I ignored everything else because TBH you should have just left and went to another dealership once they didnt honor the price. That would have saved you all the ******** with them lying also

I ignored everything else because TBH you should have just left and went to another dealership once they didnt honor the price. That would have saved you all the ******** with them lying also
Wasn't directed towards you lol.

My car broke down, transmission went out . Didn't really have too many options since I was out of town and had to get back home the next day. Like I said I never bought a car before, I wasn't sure how the True Car certificate worked. I now know that they have a binding contract and have to honor that price no matter what.

I didn't ignore anything.  I agreed, dealerships lie and scam.  That's what they're paid to do.  However its the consumers responsibility to read everything before signing on the dotted line.

Same thing happened with the house market, people signed for adjustable rates instead of fixed interest rates. When the interest % sky rocketed, they blamed the banks and stopped paying their mortgage. 

Last edited:
I just don't see why it's anyone's business to know. You shouldn't even be telling your spouse what you make. Your immediate family are the only people who deserve to know.
View media item 1906385

Why does she deserve to know. She didn't help me make this money nor did she contribute to my upbringing and help me get to a position where I could obtain this job. It's none of her business.
View media item 1906401

Its not a matter of being small or large. Being married to someone does not automatically make them privy to every single facet of my life. Thats not what that means. They do not become an extension of me as a person simply because I'm married to them. 

This is not the only thing a spouse will never know...
View media item 1906398

Dealerships don't make anyone do anything.  Lets stop making excuses for the stupidity of people.
Yeah right, I was supposed to be given a 60mo loan and the finance guy put it in for 72mo. DIdn't find out until my first statement came in the mail.

They lied about the rate that I could get, saying I had to put additional money down for the lower 2.9% rate.
Found out later that this was a lie.

They lied about not being able to honor my True Car certificate pricing and doing my loan through USAA at 1.7%. Saying I could only get that pricing if I financed through them to get all of the rebates.

Please don't tell me what these dealerships are not doing.

How is that possible?

When you go through the financing office, you have your print out (that you later sign) with the conditions of your term. If you signed one thing saying you had a 60mo. loan at a certain APR, they need to be held accountable for that.

Them mailing you something saying you now have a 72mo loan is a breach of contract and legally, I don't even know if that's allowed.

new thread title-

"how much do you make vol. dont tell your wife"

This thread went downhill quick.

I just don't see why it's anyone's business to know. You shouldn't even be telling your spouse what you make. Your immediate family are the only people who deserve to know.
View media item 1906385

Why does she deserve to know. She didn't help me make this money nor did she contribute to my upbringing and help me get to a position where I could obtain this job. It's none of her business.
View media item 1906401

Its not a matter of being small or large. Being married to someone does not automatically make them privy to every single facet of my life. Thats not what that means. They do not become an extension of me as a person simply because I'm married to them. 

View media item 1906398
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have a rep.

How is that possible?

When you go through the financing office, you have your print out (that you later sign) with the conditions of your term. If you signed one thing saying you had a 60mo. loan at a certain APR, they need to be held accountable for that.

Them mailing you something saying you now have a 72mo loan is a breach of contract and legally, I don't even know if that's allowed.
That was my mistake lol too much to explain. I refinanced to a 60 mo 1.99% loan now.

LIke I said I learned from my mistakes. Never buy a car when you are in a rush, read all papers, call them on all of their bs, and be ready to walk at any time.

The writing's been on the wall for a while now. There was an article a while ago that Milleniels are buying more luxury cars while also carrying increased amounts of student and consumer debt. At some point, our generation will learn one way or another. Unfortunately for now we aren't learning that the best way to build wealth and financial security is to be debt free and live within your means.
Bro, idk if I've asked you before, but do you have a blog or twitter or something I can follow? All of your posts are educational to me.
I should consider it once the kids are grown a little more and I have more time. It might be a lot of fun since I do occasional writing for our work blog now too.

What's sad is almost everything you laid out is exactly how you STAY married and happy. If you think you can just tie the knot and keep your life separate then you're fooling yourself. Transparency is a marriage leads to a closer bond and a better relationship for one another. Not to mention that a healthy marriage is one of the keys to actually building wealth.

So what's your rules when looking for a car nt? Do u go straight after exactly what u want? Or do u have a set price and look at your options at cars around that price?

So what's your rules when looking for a car nt? Do u go straight after exactly what u want? Or do u have a set price and look at your options at cars around that price?
Well it depends.  If buying/leasing new, I wouldn't pay more than invoice. There are exceptions where dealers can't go below MSRP and may even go higher.  But for the most part, as long as you have some understanding on car buying - invoice is doable, or at least a few hundred above to help the dealership keep the lights on.

With used, it all depends on vehicle and market price in your area.

statistically, husbands die before their wifes.

if you get divorced, she gets half.

In both cases, wouldn't the wife find out how you made regardless?
nerd.gif

My truck I got from Carmax I had it for 3 days and had to take advantage of their 7 day return policy. Gas was too much and when he was going over the terms I KNEW I couldn't afford it but I was stupidly too embarassed to say anything. But I was able to return it for my Fusion and ended up with much better gas milage and better price. Ended up getting rid of the Fusion and getting a Equinox for a even lower price and it'll end up being my fun car, my son's first car, or both.

That first time buying a car is intimidating and I'd have to guess hat most first time buyers have no clue what they are really getting themselves into and I def understand how so many people could fall behind

I didn't ignore anything.  I agreed, dealerships lie and scam.  That's what they're paid to do.  However its the consumers responsibility to read everything before signing on the dotted line.

Same thing happened with the house market, people signed for adjustable rates instead of fixed interest rates. When the interest % sky rocketed, they blamed the banks and stopped paying their mortgage. 
We don't lie to anyone, especially when it comes to the contact and financing, its literally right there in front of you to read.

Now repairs or warranty claims are a whole different story, a lot of grey area there.

The writing's been on the wall for a while now. There was an article a while ago that Milleniels are buying more luxury cars while also carrying increased amounts of student and consumer debt. At some point, our generation will learn one way or another. Unfortunately for now we aren't learning that the best way to build wealth and financial security is to be debt free and live within your means.

Bro, idk if I've asked you before, but do you have a blog or twitter or something I can follow? All of your posts are educational to me.

I should consider it once the kids are grown a little more and I have more time. It might be a lot of fun since I do occasional writing for our work blog now too.

What's sad is almost everything you laid out is exactly how you STAY married and happy. If you think you can just tie the knot and keep your life separate then you're fooling yourself. Transparency is a marriage leads to a closer bond and a better relationship for one another. Not to mention that a healthy marriage is one of the keys to actually building wealth.
Didn't realize there was only one way to keep a relationship alive. Thanks for making me away.

Back
Top Bottom