Most Disappointing Careers In Hip Hop?

Cats in here naming artists that had one hiccup in their career. One bad album or being low key for a few years does not mean they are a disappointment.

50, DMX, snoop??? Lol yall some tough critics of you can say their careers was a disappointment. Sure they could've done more, but sheesh. These dudes are in the hip hop hof.

I say young dro. Dude could've came with some more heat, but he let 2 chains goofy @&* take over his lane :smh:
Totally agree, if u gon say X is garbage then u dont know wtf is hip-hop. 3 albums consecutively debuted numba 1 !! nobody did this in the game...Stop watching the news and READ.

I had much hope for Lupe, I thought he would be much more successful than what has transpired.

i'm sure it's been said over and over...but papoose was a disappointment

Another one...TQ...his first album showed a lot of promise, and he made some ill fated label choices so a lot of his material was shelved...i really thought that guy was going to blow up huge but he mostly just fizzled out after that first album

Kiss the game goodbye was trash man. 

He tried to get too commercial with it...
mean.gif
my n*gga (denzel vc)

Young Chris shoulda definitely been bigger.

Crazy thing is he had a second chance to pop and started gaining steam with Rico Love and ****** it all up again...listening to his "Philly" homies and wanting to stay there instead of moving to Miami and getting to work consistently :smh:

Some other names are Ali Vegas, Saigon and Jadakiss is #1 on the list. Met the Ali Vegas dude a few times and he certainly didn't care by what I saw.

Last edited:
The Alkaholiks? Growing up I thought they were going to be the west coast version of De la soul.

Mic Geronimo's 2nd album was when Puffy started molding him...as we all know that did'nt work.:smh:
But to give him credit he was doing Love N' Hip Hop before anybody when he had that MTV episode with his chick.
View media item 1635778

The funniest story I remember hearing was Royal Flush talking about how he used to chump Mic G and was gonna rob him before they linked up.
Royal Flush was that dude..."First you drinking snapple now you sippin' moe?":smokin  

My List off the top of the head would be: Ras Kass,Jay Elec,Canibus,AZ (one of the most slept on ever),Cage,Peedi Crakk,Diamond D,Large Professsor,Goodie Mob,Homeboy Sandman,Planet Asia,BiggJus (Company Flow),Sporty Thieves (R.I.P. Brando),Styles of Beyond,MosDef,Tanya Morgan,Stalley,Black Sheep or just Dres,Tragedy for sure and like dude said above YOUNG CHRIS.

Did you really expect that much more from sporty thieves though? Outside of their only 2 singles (pigeons & cheapskate) they're 1st album was horrible. Besides they weren't real rappers in my book, more like great trollers.

Last edited:
"Keep ya mind on Queens when the doggs start barking!"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Flush STILL is that dude!

I mess with a bunch of the cats mentioned here but did we really expect more than what we got from them?
There is so much truth to this. A lot of these dudes being mentioned were for the most part, underground. They may not have made it to bill bellamy's MTV jams, but they got plenty of love on Rap City.
Real talk but in those days you still were getting run and rotation so it was like they were on their way but the sad truth is underground dudes got a lot more light from media in the 90's deserving or not. But still besides the blow up factor a lot of them started slacking on their craft after they realized there was not gonna be Prime Time.
mean.gif

One more dude that I never expected to blow but should have stayed on his game because he could have made a lot more noise then he did on the indie tip is this guy....

Dude dropped a mix tape and some features including the DITC album but damn he was nice and actually still is just not enough material.

Last edited:
Did you really expect that much more from sporty thieves though? Outside of their only 2 singles (pigeons & cheapskate) they're 1st album was horrible. Besides they weren't real rappers in my book, more like great trollers.
The singles were the weakest songs to me.
eyes.gif

They were like a wittier comedic version of the LOX to me. They had wordplay and Ski laced them with some dope beats for that time. Not to mention they were creative with the whole album theme and skits I thought were great. They got a lot of run in my deck back in the days.I never thought they would be at the Grammy's but I would have like to see more music from them being the problem is most people only know them for the songs you mentioned which are just their radio joints. We will have to disagree on this one.

This ones for you
roll.gif

Did you really expect that much more from sporty thieves though? Outside of their only 2 singles (pigeons
View media item 1644231

The singles were the weakest songs to me.:rolleyes
They were like a wittier comedic version of the LOX to me. They had wordplay and Ski laced them with some dope beats for that time. Not to mention they were creative with the whole album theme and skits I thought were great. They got a lot of run in my deck back in the days.I never thought they would be at the Grammy's but I would have like to see more music from them being the problem is most people only know them for the songs you mentioned which are just their radio joints. We will have to disagree on this one.
This ones for you :rofl:

You know what, i'll give them a good listening too on spotify. To be fair, I haven't heard the album since like 2000. I definitely remember not liking their 1st album when it came out. I think the beats to me were just so boring & their flow was exactly the same on every track. Maybe i'll appreciate it a bit more now.

Last edited:
They were far from timeless but give it a listen and tell me they did'nt have some talent.
wink.gif

P.S. You are kinda right about the flow tho..
eyes.gif

Last edited:
i'm sure it's been said over and over...but papoose was a disappointment

Another one...TQ...his first album showed a lot of promise, and he made some ill fated label choices so a lot of his material was shelved...i really thought that guy was going to blow up huge but he mostly just fizzled out after that first album

He should've never went to Cash Money at that time :lol:

The Liks were solid, and being compared to De La isn't a bad thing, although I don't think they hit that level. But the Liks were good. I thought Tash would be dope solo, his label didn't push him.

I agree liks did what they were supposed to do... 3 good albums and the best mc got a solo..

Mic gs second album was trash though.. i think i remember the last joint being a possy cut that was too tuff..

But what about smiff n wessun? That first album though. ..

I agree liks did what they were supposed to do... 3 good albums and the best mc got a solo..

Mic gs second album was trash though.. i think i remember the last joint being a possy cut that was too tuff..

But what about smiff n wessun? That first album though. ..
I thought Vendetta was a really good album. Kind of poppy but had a lot of replay value for me. 

The Liks were solid, and being compared to De La isn't a bad thing, although I don't think they hit that level. But the Liks were good. I thought Tash would be dope solo, his label didn't push him.
Tash's first solo was dope...second one...'eh, not so much'

Tash's first solo was dope...second one...'eh, not so much'

I still have his first one, on cassette, but it was dope, I agree with the second one being meh. The way rap is going right now Tash can come out right now and eat a good amount of these rappers alive.

The same can be said for a lot of those "second tier" type rappers back then :lol: I'd gladly listen to current Memphis Bleek and I-20 over current acts today. Hell, Fabo of D4L would blend right in with today's stuff.

Back
Top Bottom