Most Disappointing Careers In Hip Hop?

Curren$y

When he first came out, I thought he was the next LIL Wayne. Never really took that next step.

Lauren Hill

Miseducation was the truth. Never made an album after that.

Thank God he didn't become the next Lil Wa_n_. I could only imagine the large amount of popular trash people would've had to suffer through

Theres very good tracks man on those tapes, are you talking about certain ones or all of em ?

well most of them tracks aren't even original material, they are mostly Jackin For Beats type tracks. as good as they are those songs are too short too. some songs are like a minute + long

Now hear me out. I'm not saying this guy is a disappointment, the fact that he isn't larger is the disappointment. Killer Mike. This dude is a freaking monster on the mic. Yes, he has gems with R.A.P and Run the Jewels. This dude has been in the game for a minute now, he should be larger than he is, he shouldn't be just a "cult following", I don't blame him at all, it is the fault of the record companies. This dude drops heat. Pledge 1,2,3, R.A.P Music, and even RTJ have gems for days, he should be one of the artists front and center, especially when we have a myriad of crap that's out now.

Daz was an even more underrated producer
I've heard quite a few arguments out there that Daz produced the majority of 'Doggystyle'...and Dre paid him some absurdly small amount to be able to take credit for it. Having listened to all of those Death Row albums a million times over...that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I've heard quite a few arguments out there that Daz produced the majority of 'Doggystyle'...and Dre paid him some absurdly small amount to be able to take credit for it. Having listened to all of those Death Row albums a million times over...that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Heard that as well, they would say Dre didn't really produce as much as he mixed the album.

Last edited:
Daz gave Pac some fiya on AEOM 
smokin.gif

If anything it discredits Dre to me. I've noticed that most of "production" was as part of a team. And the fact that AEOM was a monster success without Dre makes me wonder what did Dre do, on his own. I'm not saying dude isn't good or one of the greatest musical minds ever, but there have been rumblings for years that Dre has taken more credit for music than he has actually earned. Just my 2 pennies.

Supposedly, Dre buys beats from smaller/lesser known beat makers and producers and makes them better. That's the rumor from the small time music people I used to talk too.

Now hear me out. I'm not saying this guy is a disappointment, the fact that he isn't larger is the disappointment. Killer Mike. This dude is a freaking monster on the mic. Yes, he has gems with R.A.P and Run the Jewels. This dude has been in the game for a minute now, he should be larger than he is, he shouldn't be just a "cult following", I don't blame him at all, it is the fault of the record companies. This dude drops heat. Pledge 1,2,3, R.A.P Music, and even RTJ have gems for days, he should be one of the artists front and center, especially when we have a myriad of crap that's out now.

I think Mike has actually crafted a VERY good career for himself.

It seems to still be on the upswing as well.

Juelz( damn shame, everyone was hailing him the next king of ny )

That absolutely never happened.

Dude has hot for a minute along with Cam (for longer obviously), Jim and a lot of the dudes in that "movement".

But it was never that deep.

Last edited:
illphillip illphillip No doubt, Mike's career is definitely good, but to me he should be on a level above TI, I felt like his labels should've pushed his product more. Trust me man, if he dropped something tonight I'd buy it first thing in the morning.

Ehh, Killer Mike's career is far from disappointing. Just because he hasn't had the commercial success as some of his peers, doesn't mean his career isn't where it should be. He would never be a level above TI because his style and music doesn't have the same commercial appeal. Skills don't necessarily equate to success, you know how that Jay-z line goes.

I would actually say Killer Mike is in a much better place than I ever expected. He's done far better than many others have who where in the same situation as him. His past three projects with El-P where all well recognized by the music media. Not to mention hes been interviewed on CNN numerous times and was invited to the White House Correspondents dinner.

Ehh, Killer Mike's career is far from disappointing. Just because he hasn't had the commercial success as some of his peers, doesn't mean his career isn't where it should be. He would never be a level above TI because his style and music doesn't have the same commercial appeal. Skills don't necessarily equate to success, you know how that Jay-z line goes.

I would actually say Killer Mike is in a much better place than I ever expected. He's done far better than many others have who where in the same situation as him. His past three projects with El-P where all well recognized by the music media. Not to mention hes been interviewed on CNN numerous times and was invited to the White House Correspondents dinner.

True, he will never be a disappointment, he deserved the commercial success, but from what I understand, he does alright for himself, so yeah, he or his music isn't a disappointment. And you're 100% correct, because I didn't look at it from that angle, thanks for dropping knowledge.

I think you have different categories of "disappointing"

A. Dudes that had a lot of hype but never put together a great album

B. Dudes who came out with hot or even classic material, but couldn't live up to their debut

C. Dudes that were underground and had a chance of making a dent in the mainstream, but it never happened

Z-ro- progress hindered by being local and constantly getting locked up.

I think seasoned hip-hop/rap fans know the greatness of Z-Ro so, I think he is in the right place. I honestly think Drake has drawn most of his influence and style from Z-Ro, but won't mention him much, because he is obscure to most of Drake's fanbase. Z-Ro's harmonizing/rapping/R&B Rap>>>>>> Definitely top 5, and up there with the likes of Nate Dogg

Last edited:
I think seasoned hip-hop/rap fans know the greatness of Z-Ro so, I think he is in the right place. I honestly think Drake has drawn most of his influence and style from Z-Ro, but won't mention him much, because he is obscure to most of Drake's fanbase. Z-Ro's harmonizing/rapping/R&B Rap>>>>>> Definitely top 5, and up there with the likes of Nate Dogg
Damn you hit the nail on the head. Repped. I just think he should be as well known on hooks as Nate dogg was. Dude is mad talented even tho his subject matter is limited.

^Ditto. I do think Z-Ro has a masterpiece in him that hasn't been seen yet, but I'm not sure if he'll ever get a chance to make it. He's had so many albums, but a good number of them are just Rap-A-Lot cash grabs, and those hurt his legit releases cause they're usually low quality. That's a reason I've been listening to Trae more since around 09, cause with Grand Hustle's backing, he's able to get quality beats. Both need that same backing and should be making music together again.

^repped crazy how informed you are brah but you feel Riff raff. I just can't get with it. But to each their own.

Z-ro- progress hindered by being local and constantly getting locked up.

I'm probably reaching. But I always thought krit was talking about drake with these lines

I know you lame when you was in school
The little fame you ain't used to
And it was easy for you to move through
English class put you off a thesaurus
Like one of these days I'm gonna be a rapper
But all my verses gonna be borrowed
So I'm a take from all these Southern artists
That mainstream never heard of
Recycle all of they lingo
And make sure I screw my words up
Bravo for your swagger-jackin'
I'm overwhelmed by your dedication