Motor Trend holds "World's Greatest Drag Race" for 3rd time.

Motor Trend holds World's Greatest Drag Race for the third time

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-23%20at%201.54.29%20PM.png

As part of Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car competition, the buff book has held its third iteration of the World's Greatest Drag Race. With an airfield and a dozen of the world's finest performance cars at its disposal (oh, and a helicopter), the MT team did what any good group of enthusiasts would do, and tried to figure what car could cover a quarter mile the quickest. World's greatest drag race, indeed.

The contestants, as MT points out, cover a huge variety of engine types, drivelines, aspiration types and body styles, making for a genuinely varied and interesting field of competitors. Here's the full list of cars taking part.

Aston Martin Vanquish
Audi R8 V10 Plus
Bentley Continental GT Speed
BMW M6 Coupe
Ford Focus ST
Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Mercedes-Benz E63S AMG Wagon
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series
Nissan GT-R Track
Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
Porsche Cayman S
SRT Viper

Quite a lineup. The group includes one previous winner, the Nissan GT-R, which took the original World's Greatest Drag Race, before being unseated by the Lamborghini Aventador last year.

that'd be so fun to participate in......unless you're in the focus lol

that gtr takeoff just kills everyone.

Yeah they shouldve had the Mustang SuperSnake, Vette, Aventador, Porsche GT3 RS, and Ashton Martin DB9

The cars that were in it were part of the best drivers car class. A lot of the cars you guys mentioned above like the Aventador, Shelby GT500 were in last years race. The reason the Focus ST was in it was because it was part of the class. Last years worlds best drag race had the Subaru BR-Z and suffered the same fate as the Focus.

GTR would still win.. am i right? i dont look up specifics but seems like GTR beats everything other than the Aventador
IIRC, the last gen ZR1 beat the GTR. This new one is the Track Edition which no one is beating....until the Stingray ZR1 comes out.

Edit: Found it. Would still take a GTR though, my absolute dream car at the moment

Last edited:
^that gen of the GTR is a bit slower than the ones that are out right now...the newer GTR's are known to run high 10s STOCK...that launch control system they got going in that car is cheating

Last edited:
^sorry dude but that gen of the GTR is a bit slower than the ones that are out right now...the newer GTR's are known to run high 10s STOCK...that launch control system they got going in that car is cheating
Yeah I know. Hence why I said "This new one is the Track Edition...."

all these flames on the track then we have a focus st. it seems so out of place 
laugh.gif

They threw the focus in to give some perspective on how fast these cars actually are compared to the average grocery getter on the road. Without the Focus in the mix, the Porsche and Aston would have looked like total turds... even though they're both 12 second cars

... :lol: Kinda funny because despite its poor performance in this race... the Focus ST is still quicker than alot of cars out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom