Moving into 1st apartment NT I need your help!

Im moving out by the end of the year and I just realized im completely clueless on how apartments work. How much do you guys average on utilities each month , the place im moving into is 740sq ft and I need to get the hang on how all this stuff works.  

Im moving out by the end of the year and I just realized im completely clueless on how apartments work. How much do you guys average on utilities each month , the place im moving into is 740sq ft and I need to get the hang on how all this stuff works.  

el89xu.jpg

I paid around 100 for utilities in a place that was smaller, 565 sq. ft. last year, but I didn't have central air, just a wall unit AC so that will cut down on cuts dramatically.

You might be able to look up how much the current tenants are paying right now, I know for my utilities website I can check past bills to see how much power they used. It also depends on what you have and your habits, if you keep the AC set at 65 degrees 24/7 then expect to pay more, but if you're smart and conserve you can cut down on costs a lot. Don't leave tv's, computers, etc. running all the time, take shorter showers to cut down on water usage, etc.

What else do you need to know?

I paid around 100 for utilities in a place that was smaller, 565 sq. ft. last year, but I didn't have central air, just a wall unit AC so that will cut down on cuts dramatically.

You might be able to look up how much the current tenants are paying right now, I know for my utilities website I can check past bills to see how much power they used. It also depends on what you have and your habits, if you keep the AC set at 65 degrees 24/7 then expect to pay more, but if you're smart and conserve you can cut down on costs a lot. Don't leave tv's, computers, etc. running all the time, take shorter showers to cut down on water usage, etc.

What else do you need to know?

Mostly im asking how much people usually average on their utilities. I dont want to have to spend half of my paycheck on rent and utilities

Mostly im asking how much people usually average on their utilities. I dont want to have to spend half of my paycheck on rent and utilities

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Electric shouldn't be more than $60/month.
It depends on where you live. In Montgomery County, MD electricity can cost you several hundred depending on the season. 

My suggestion to you OP is look for a property that has utilities included in the rent. These properties are usually the older ones, because they were built before properties got smart and started putting meters on indidivual apartments. However, just because they're older doesn't mean that they suck it just means things are more likely to break from time to time. 

Another big thing to look for when getting an apartment is that they contain shoe molding, which is the wooden boards at the bottom of the walls. I say this because no matter where you live there is always the potential to have problems with pests. Shoe molding helps to reduce these problems because it limits the number of holes that pests can come through.

As far as floor goes always try and get the middle floor if you are in a garden apartment, because the basement almost always floods, and the top floor almost always has leaks. Lastly, be careful with the carpet, because it is the number one thing that needs to be replaced after people move out, and if you put down a security deposit than carpet replacement will eat away at it in a hurry. I mean the rates they charge for carpet replacement where I work should be illegal.

Originally Posted by ElijahBrohammed

Electric shouldn't be more than $60/month.
It depends on where you live. In Montgomery County, MD electricity can cost you several hundred depending on the season. 

My suggestion to you OP is look for a property that has utilities included in the rent. These properties are usually the older ones, because they were built before properties got smart and started putting meters on indidivual apartments. However, just because they're older doesn't mean that they suck it just means things are more likely to break from time to time. 

Another big thing to look for when getting an apartment is that they contain shoe molding, which is the wooden boards at the bottom of the walls. I say this because no matter where you live there is always the potential to have problems with pests. Shoe molding helps to reduce these problems because it limits the number of holes that pests can come through.

As far as floor goes always try and get the middle floor if you are in a garden apartment, because the basement almost always floods, and the top floor almost always has leaks. Lastly, be careful with the carpet, because it is the number one thing that needs to be replaced after people move out, and if you put down a security deposit than carpet replacement will eat away at it in a hurry. I mean the rates they charge for carpet replacement where I work should be illegal.

for Pmighty in pgh monthly

cable/internet is 120 month
rent=500
electric= avg 60
food= 80-100

for Pmighty in pgh monthly

cable/internet is 120 month
rent=500
electric= avg 60
food= 80-100

i go to school in one of the poorest counties in the state, so its much cheaper here.

all of these are split in half/

rent= 660
electric= about 40
direct tv= 50
water= paid

where do you live? what kind of area?

i go to school in one of the poorest counties in the state, so its much cheaper here.

all of these are split in half/

rent= 660
electric= about 40
direct tv= 50
water= paid

where do you live? what kind of area?

700 sq foot, damn near 200 a month on electric alone during the summer months. Third floor 1900s building smh with window A/C. Otherwise 40-50 a month. It's all the little %+$% that adds up on a monthly basis

700 sq foot, damn near 200 a month on electric alone during the summer months. Third floor 1900s building smh with window A/C. Otherwise 40-50 a month. It's all the little %+$% that adds up on a monthly basis

damn ny is too expensive

rent 1100
cable/internet 130
groceries 150 weekly
electric 90
gas/water free

damn ny is too expensive

rent 1100
cable/internet 130
groceries 150 weekly
electric 90
gas/water free