Moving out...

I'm 21 years old and its about that time where I move out of my parents house. 
I work in property management and my company is going to take 20% off the apartment where i'll be moving into. 

I've made the calculations and I'll basically be paying only 50 bucks more than I pay at my parents place right now. My cousin is moving in with me into a 2 bedroom and we both make a decent amount of money where we'll get along each month and live comfortably.

What advice do you guys give? My target date is July 1st so I need some sound advice from anyone who's had experience in this. 

Make sure you guys make rules and set boundaries. I know it seems like its gonna be all cake living together, but it won't. Make sure you guys respect private space and come up with rules regarding the shared space.

expect a kitchen full of dirty dishes and a dirty floor that never gets mopped.  Sounds good but you will be ready to box your cousin 2 weeks within moving in.

^That's the one thing I couldn't stand with living with my boys. All it takes is one person not to wash their dish and then it's a wrap.

Having a pad to yourself ftw 
pimp.gif

Like the above posters said, establish boundaries with your cousin and as far as washing dishes, I just wash em after every meal I eat and then I never have to worry about dirty dishes piling up. Might seem tedious washing one plate/bowl after every meal but it beats having to spend more time washing a whole bunch of dishes at once or having to look at the nastiness of dirty dishes stacked up in your sink. 

Set boundaries. Just cause the person is your cousin doesn't mean they will be the best room mate. In fact they could be the roommate from hell

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

Make sure you guys make rules and set boundaries. I know it seems like its gonna be all cake living together, but it won't. Make sure you guys respect private space and come up with rules regarding the shared space.
Listen to these guys. Going through it now lol. It's like doing business with family. "Money & blood don't mix."

Type up a contract with rules and regulations make sure it is signed. Save all of your funds it will only help. Nothing like living by yourself.

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

this is exactly why im slowly saving up to find a place of my own. just need the luck of getting a full time job

When I was in college, I moved in with a VERY good friend/boy.  Needless to say, I haven't spoken to him since we graduated.....
ohwell.gif

Like others have said, set boundaries, and ALWAYS communicate....for real!

good knowledge all who posted before me, looking to move into my own pad or with a few friends for awhile, its getting about that time

Make sure your place smells good. That's the first thing people notice when they walk in, chicks def dig a clean bathroom!

buy a lot your essentials at big lots or walmart.

get furniture on craigslist opposed to Ikea.

...hello always grimey bathroom

goodbye food you thought you had in refridgerator...

Originally Posted by rmK

...hello always grimey bathroom

goodbye food you thought you had in refridgerator...

laugh.gif
I see this happening a lot.

Expect to start being selfish and hide food in your room.

Expect to get in arguments about losing the remote

Expect to be jelly when smashes and you don't.

Expect to say or be asked "Have you seen my shirt or socks?" Because there's only one washer/dryer.

You have to set certain boundaries and rules between you and your roommate from the get-go.   This includes having guests over, food, bills, etc..

Other than that, make sure you have saved up at least 2 months worth of rent before, so that you're comfortable.

seriously, it can be a pain, but DONT GET LAZY WITH THE HOUSEWORK!

You know that saying "you're only screwing yourself even more in the future"? you have no idea until it comes to house chores
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom