Moving to NorCal from SoCal

i live in san carlos..

rent is $$$$$$$$$

try redwood city fam

Then how are you Frisco finest then b

Op, don't live in Union City or Fremont. You will be bored out of your mind. try looking at miliptas, its pretty close to sj and you will be in the center of everything.

I live in SJ and 55k is stretching it. You'll likely need a roommate. I'd recommend Union City or Hayward. Fremont is starting to get pricey also as the school system there is decent for those who don't want to pay ridiculous prices to live near Cupertino. Good luck man!

Woooo go Union City :smile:
East side UC is like right near UC bart
West side UC you can also go to South Hayward BART, which is about the same distance away. being in between SJ and Oakland isnt bad either! But nightlife/social life is definitely one of the most important factors. Depends on how much you are willing to drive out.

Last edited:
Damn any city in the South Bay is $$$$. Iif you're looking for avoidable places I would say northbay/eastbay (contra costa), you would have to commute but everyone commutes in the bay

Try Fremont OP. I don't think rent is as expensive as it would be in Oakland or SF (absolutely disgusting) :x

Theres milpitas too, but idk how the rent situation is like around there.

Try Fremont OP. I don't think rent is as expensive as it would be in Oakland or SF (absolutely disgusting)
sick.gif

Theres milpitas too, but idk how the rent situation is like around there.
milpitas is unaffordable now too. i mean OP said $1500 right? that's not that bad. if he can stretch it to like ~$2000 he'd have tons of decent options. 

not sure how san jose stacks up against...NYC, chicago, SF, and other "real cities" - it seems more like a weird suburb than a city.

Not sure about that area but I know NorCal is $ as hell. I turned down a job offer from Facebook a couple years ago because the pay raise wouldn't kept up with the rent in Menlo Park.

My friends who are making around $60-80k say they have to live in Oakland due to rent.

Funny that they are from SoCal and they say NorCal drivers are even worse. And I thought we were the top pick for that category :lol:

All of that is some bull****

My friend who I know for a fact makes way less than starting salary at Facebook, lives in a decent spot in Menlo Park. Plus Oakland isnt THAT much cheaper either.

I'm from Fremont. Live in Union City, lived in Hayward.

Have commuted to san jose before, and rush hour on that commute isn't worth it imo. Damn near 2 hrs on a lot of days.

I would say live in the South Bay. My moms whole side of the fam is out there and I got cousins, nephews, nieces, etc living on their own in nice places making just about the same as you.

Your spot wont be a Ritz Carlton but it wont be a roach coach either.

Last edited:
All of that is some bull****

My friend who I know for a fact makes way less than starting salary at Facebook, lives in a decent spot in Menlo Park. Plus Oakland isnt THAT much cheaper either.

I'm from Fremont. Live in Union City, lived in Hayward.

Have commuted to san jose before, and rush hour on that commute isn't worth it imo. Damn near 2 hrs on a lot of days.

I would say live in the South Bay. My moms whole side of the fam is out there and I got cousins, nephews, nieces, etc living on their own in nice places making just about the same as you.

Your spot wont be a Ritz Carlton but it wont be a roach coach either.
I can only speak on what I know. I've never been to the Bay so I don't know how close the cities are.

As for me, I looked online for apartments around Menlo Park and they were expensive, more-so than what the surrounding areas around Los Angeles where I current reside. As far as my friends who are in Oakland, I was told a one bedroom apartment with no a/c (since it doesn't get too hot around that part of the state) is around $1,500 a month.

I personally refuse to spend more than ~40% of my net pay on rent, and that's what I used to weigh my decision.

Last edited:
Like I stated. Everyone that works in San Jose commutes. I work in an office campus. People come from all over.

Santa Cruz
Tracy
Mountain house
Concord
Gilroy
Morgan hill
Etc.
Hollister
LOS BANOS
You name a city in the bay they all come to San Jose to work.

I live in San Jose and it takes me 45mins to go 15 miles to work .
I even lived 5 miles from work and it takes me 30 mins because I lived in between all the freeways. 880-101-680.

If you can afford a place in San Jose that would be perfect.

But a lot of people commute from far away places. They would rather live comfortably and deal with the commute rather than break the bank to live close to work. People have been commuting to work from crazy distances for years. And like you said you want a place to call your own. It's not crazy or uncommon to hear someone lives in Tracy (45 min drive with no traffic to San Jose) to commute to San Jose everyday.

Like someone else said. If you can stretch it out to 2000 a month then you have a lot of options.

Like I stated. Everyone that works in San Jose commutes. I work in an office campus. People come from all over.

Santa Cruz
Tracy
Mountain house
Concord
Gilroy
Morgan hill
Etc.
Hollister
LOS BANOS

I even lived 5 miles from work and it takes me 30 mins because I lived in between all the freeways. 880-101-680.

But a lot of people commute from far away places. They would rather live comfortably and deal with the commute rather than break the bank to live close to work. People have been commuting to work from crazy distances for years. And like you said you want a place to call your own. It's not crazy or uncommon to hear someone lives in Tracy (45 min drive with no traffic to San Jose) to commute to San Jose everyday.

Like someone else said. If you can stretch it out to 2000 a month then you have a lot of options.

Normally this would be discouraging but I dig it. My ex's sorority sister lives in MODESTO and commutes to OAKLAND everyday. I'm not trying to put many more miles on my car as I'm looking to refinance then trade it in.

It's looking like I might have to look to work elsewhere or just bare the burden of the commute from east bay. But I'll keep looking.

Side note: Anyone use roomster before?

I'm not trying to discourage you at all from moving here. But commuting is just a m-f thing. You become complacent and an hour commute ain't nothing. Good luck though

I'm not trying to discourage you at all from moving here. But commuting is just a m-f thing. You become complacent and an hour commute ain't nothing. Good luck though

Oh no I'm not bro. I appreciate the looks for sure. I've heard horror stories so EYE know :lol:

Santa Cruz
Tracy
Mountain house
Concord
Gilroy
Morgan hill
Etc.
Hollister
LOS BANOS

LOS BANOS?!?! Really?

I guess so. But I really dislike spending a portion of my day having to commute from that far. Smh.

that girl is NUTS! on a scale of 1-10, what would you rate her in terms of attractiveness?

what's the longest commute have you done for work? it definitely brings down your quality of life, if you are doing more than 30-40 mins each way IMO.

Last edited:
that girl is NUTS! on a scale of 1-10, what would you rate her in terms of attractiveness?

what's the longest commute have you done for work? it definitely brings down your quality of life, if you are doing more than 30-40 mins each way IMO.

7 maybe? :lol: I only seen a photo of her.

I've done a 45 min commute before.

Back
Top Bottom