Moving to SoCal

So im up here in Mpls and looking to I just move by fall. So I was wondering what good areas are there. Looking for a studio/1 apt. I have some school options im looking at too for a degree in journalism and film/media studies. But I just want to be out before winter.
And what would you say the job market is like? Have some retail experience.

Looking for any suggestions fron thay currently live there or if some JUST moved there recently.

California State University
California State University, Northridge
UC Davis

These are the 3 I've been looking at.

If you are starting school from scratch, I would go with community college preferably within an area that has good public transport such as light rail. Once you get CA resident status (live in state for 366 days), you will qualify for in-state tuition. If $$$ isn't an issue, then you can live anywhere with a car. Good luck.

If you are starting school from scratch, I would go with community college preferably within an area that has good public transport such as light rail. Once you get CA resident status (live in state for 366 days), you will qualify for in-state tuition. If $$$ isn't an issue, then you can live anywhere with a car. Good luck.
Very sound advice right there.  Well said.

To the OP, what do you mean by CSU?  CSU Los Angeles or what?  I work at CSULA, so I know more about that area than Northridge.

CSUN has a nice campus from what I've heard.  Plenty of apartments in Northridge and San Fernando Valley.  Don't know the exact prices, but you can figure it out by looking at craigslist.org.  Weather is hot as hell in the summer, and almost year round, but cold at night, so be aware of that.  It's a nice area overall, but some parts you might want to avoid.

If you're going to CSULA, I'd look at Alhambra or South Pasadena.  I personally would stay away from downtown/ktown area, having lived there, but every place has it's drawbacks and advantages.

coming up on a year since I been out in SoCal moving from Michigan. Year has FLOWN by and I still feel like I havent seen sh** yet lol. Love it here though, aint no way Im going back..

But job market is pretty nice and a person with your background shouldnt have a problem finding a job. Depending on where you want to live, studios are normally in the 1100-1500 price range and thats all over depending on the quality and upkeep of the place. I currently live out in Venice in a older apartment with a roommate our place is 1800 sq feet each pay 1100. If your ok living with somoene else def give that a try as it will make everything easier.

Last edited:
Ill be moving out there soon for Physical therapy school in September. Ill be in the Irvine area. I took a visit and there seems to be a lot of resources that I don't have here in Hawaii. How have you acclimated to the environmental conditions? When I took my trip there my sinuses started acting up from all the smog. 

Yeah I was thinking of a CC before I go to a four year school. I already have an AA.

Very sound advice right there.  Well said.

To the OP, what do you mean by CSU?  CSU Los Angeles or what?  I work at CSULA, so I know more about that area than Northridge.

CSUN has a nice campus from what I've heard.  Plenty of apartments in Northridge and San Fernando Valley.  Don't know the exact prices, but you can figure it out by looking at craigslist.org.  Weather is hot as hell in the summer, and almost year round, but cold at night, so be aware of that.  It's a nice area overall, but some parts you might want to avoid.

If you're going to CSULA, I'd look at Alhambra or South Pasadena.  I personally would stay away from downtown/ktown area, having lived there, but every place has it's drawbacks and advantages.

I was talking about Northridge I've been talking with an NTer through Twitter about that school. He went there and he's doing film production so I was asking him for some advice.

I only have an AA from a CC here in Mpls and looking to go back and get a degree in both Journalism and Screen writing or a Minor in one.

What would you guys say would be a safe amount to save? I have a few friends who moved from Mpls to Cali and they have family there so they had a safety net. But i'll be more alone if one of my friends out there will let me crash for a while with them.

Thx for all the help and I wish the best to you guys who made the move. Giving me some hope I can do it too. A little scared but I know I have to at least try

:smokin

Last edited:
It's hard to say. If you don't control your spending, you can go broke really fast. Just need to have a lot of discipline to not splurge and look for a job right after you arrive.

Save as much money as you can before you move out here.

Also #1 advice I can give is make sure you have a reliable car or motorcycle to use on a daily basis.

Trying to get around LA & Socal on public transportation sucks and is a HUGE waste of time.

Last edited:
I am a CSUN alum and I can say that CSUN is a good school. I lived at home when I went and most people do since it is a commuter school. It is a great campus and has some great surrounding areas to check out apartments in . The Valley is less in terms of rent than many other locations in LA as well. I think you will be Happy if that is your choice. Good luck bro. If you have questions just PM me.

Yeah I need to get a car. I was thinking of using public transportation and biking around city mostly on campus.

How are the studios/1br apts in general?

Studios / 1 bedroom around northridge will run about $700-1100. Check out CL posts.

Hvae you moved in yet? how do you like it?

Me? No I'm aiming for end of the year or early next. Had some set backs but I plan on making the move though.

CSUN students, any recommendation of what CC I should look into that CSUN will take as credit towards my degree?

SMC has the highest transfers to the UC system in the state. But that just might be because we have a ******** of students :lol:

Agree, they also have the highest transfer rate to UCLA. However, the huge downside is living in that area is hella $$$$$. You talking about $1200+ for a shared room!

Agree, they also have the highest transfer rate to UCLA. However, the huge downside is living in that area is hella $$$$$. You talking about $1200+ for a shared room!

Exaggeration. 1 bedroom apartments run 1100-1300 not a shared room. Get a room mate and you straight.

The best apartments for rent aren't listed online. Private apartments off national are the best place to look. Everything online is owner by associations or real estate groups and they rape .

Back
Top Bottom