My 8 year-old sister just stumbled upon the basis of all philosphical questions regarding religion.

*please note this thread is not to start an argument or debate, but rather share our ideas and opinions.

So, today my little sister had bible study, and the way my family's church is, the parents can sit in on the classes too.
My sister was there, learning about how god created adam and eve, the plants, animals, the sky, earth, everything.
you know, normal bible study learning.
when she raises her hand to ask a question.
The teacher looks at her hand, continues the lecture...
then after a few mintues:

"yes sarah?"

"If God created earth, and adam and eve, and everything, who created god?"

teacher went
indifferent.gif
and ignored the question.

i was there dying like
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
an 8 year old just undermined your whole religion, though.

No, but seriously my mind was blown at how much thinking my little sister put into it. Like even when she got home she was asking my mom and me, and basically what i told her was people have different views on things (i didnt want to upset my mom, as im agnostic and they are raising her catholic) and she can explore them more as she gets older, but that her question has no right answer.

how would you have answered her question?

*please note this thread is not to start an argument or debate, but rather share our ideas and opinions.

So, today my little sister had bible study, and the way my family's church is, the parents can sit in on the classes too.
My sister was there, learning about how god created adam and eve, the plants, animals, the sky, earth, everything.
you know, normal bible study learning.
when she raises her hand to ask a question.
The teacher looks at her hand, continues the lecture...
then after a few mintues:

"yes sarah?"

"If God created earth, and adam and eve, and everything, who created god?"

teacher went
indifferent.gif
and ignored the question.

i was there dying like
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
an 8 year old just undermined your whole religion, though.

No, but seriously my mind was blown at how much thinking my little sister put into it. Like even when she got home she was asking my mom and me, and basically what i told her was people have different views on things (i didnt want to upset my mom, as im agnostic and they are raising her catholic) and she can explore them more as she gets older, but that her question has no right answer.

how would you have answered her question?

I would have went into parallel universe talk and trying to get her to grasp the concept of a multiverse and that we aren't the first universe and our God may be a product of another universe but as mere humans we only know so much.

I would have went into parallel universe talk and trying to get her to grasp the concept of a multiverse and that we aren't the first universe and our God may be a product of another universe but as mere humans we only know so much.

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

I can't answer that question.God technically has no past or no future.He just is.

which is basically the answer to every unanswerable question in religion. "it just is"
right

I can't answer that question.God technically has no past or no future.He just is.

which is basically the answer to every unanswerable question in religion. "it just is"
right

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

right

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

right

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Yes but this response would be inappropriate in a setting that were people act like they definitely know what God is and how the universe/afterlife works.

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

Yes but this response would be inappropriate in a setting that were people act like they definitely know what God is and how the universe/afterlife works.

Back
Top Bottom