My college degree is worthless apparently.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Twig1026

You're bugged out bro, there are dudes with masters degrees struggling with dominos jobs...be grateful, without your degree 42k may not have been possible
laugh.gif
word, there's zero jobs out there.
Grown men really think like this tho?  There's tons of jobs everywhere.  This type of thinking displays a clear lack of ambition and self-worth.

Originally Posted by ModernDarwin

You're bugged out bro, there are dudes with masters degrees struggling with dominos jobs...be grateful, without your degree 42k may not have been possible
laugh.gif
Anybody else just completely disagree?  I feel like there are tons of jobs out there but that now only truly qualified, connected people are getting the offers they deserve.  Out of my 600 facebook friends 98%+ of them have finished their undergrad degree (or more) and almost all 98% seem to have jobs.  It is much tougher to get that 'amazing' job with perks, bonuses etc but if you have experience, education and an ability to network there are still tons of jobs out there.  A simple look at SF Bay Area craigslist tells me that.  People that don't have a great job also don't seem to understand how to get one.  Use a recruiting service, take an unpaid internship, etc etc...there needs to be momentum to get that offer.  Just applying to jobs off the internet is really tough nowadays.  
For example, before I was at my current job I was out of work for six months.  I had a 80k+ job working for AT&T business in downtown ATL but knew that the city and the job was not my passion.  I quit and I moved back to California to change my lifestyle.  I was out of work for six months and nothing was clicking for me because who wants to hire someone that quit a great job and doesn't have any experience besides that job.  However, that wasn't true; it was just my self-limiting mindset.  They just didn't hire me because I just applied over the internet and I was a faceless number among thousands others likely.  

I was on the Warriors website and realized that I would have to start somewhere and change what I was doing.  I looked at the staff listings for the Warriors and noticed it said the college they graduated from.  One of the guys working there graduated from the same university as me, and the same year.  I went to my LinkedIn account and found him on there and since we were both part of the UCSB Alumni group I could send him a message.  I sent him a short message, "Hey, I'm also a Guacho.  I don't think I knew you at college but thought I'd reach out to you to see if you had any advice about getting a position with the Warriors.  I am really interested in a similar position to the one you are doing and wanted to ask you a few questions.  If you have some time let me know when is a good time to chat.  Thanks!"  He sent me a message back, and a time and direct # to call.  We chatted and he gave my resume directly to the hiring manager.  I got invited in for an interview (along with 4 other people). I asked them how they got interviews and all of them had family or close friends that worked with the Warriors.  I was the only one that made it through to even the interview stage without having that personal connection.  After the interviews I got an offer, but decided to go with another job that was I was interested in (and best decision of my life thus far).
Great advice and congratulations.  If you don't mind me asking, what do you do now?

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Wait, are you complaining about making 42k a year?
I think it's the experience factor that he's complaining about.

42k is an ok salary but after 6 years you would expect to be earning more than that if the job required a degree.

42K is good or bad depending on the field of work.

but after so many yrs of experience, id complain too. at the same time, again, it depends on the field. some careers don't yield that much money even after 20 or 30 yrs exp.

Originally Posted by chickencurry4eva

laugh.gif
Grown men really think like this tho?  There's tons of jobs everywhere.  This type of thinking displays a clear lack of ambition and self-worth.
We all have to adapt and adjust to the world around us. So I agree in not having a self defeating attitude.
But...there are NOT tons of jobs everywhere. #'s don't lie. I make GOOD money, been through the Fed Gov't, and now in the private sector. Never been w/o a job but I always look around and the difference between what's out there now is visibly different than what was out there in say...05. 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Slightly off-topic, however...
I know the economy's bad, people are out of work, etc, etc, but why has the general theme lately been that people should settle (and be totally happy) with whatever they're getting paid?  Is it wrong to feel like your education + experience should make you worth more?
Every time I see a thread about jobs or salaries its a bunch of people saying "you should be happy with that salary" "that's more than enough to be comfortable" "I got a friend with 5 masters and 3 doctorates who makes 8.00/hour"  

If you're cool with you salary (whatever it may be) because you feel it is appropriate considering your experience and education that's perfectly fine.  But if you're only cool with your salary because you're comparing yourself to other people who make less or because somebody else is telling you that's what you should be happy with y'all are seriously limiting your growth and devaluing yourself.

Peace. 

to continue your tangent.

in some cases,  yes, it is wrong to believe you are worth more than what you are earning.  a lot of people have a sense of entitlement.  they feel that because they went to college and got a degree in a certain field that they should be entitled to make X amount of money.  The reality is, youre worth what the market will pay for your services.  If you cant find someone willing to pay you $100K for your services, then tough nuts, you are not worth $100K a year.

heres my tangent on a tangent.

Its this sense of entitlement that causes people to %*+#+ and moan bout illegal immigrants stealing jobs from hardworking americans (with limited marketable skills).  These immigrants arent stealing anything.  Market price for manual labor just happens to be minimum wage or close to it.  Just because you are an American citizen and former union worker doesnt mean that you should get paid $22/hr to pick strawberries in a field.  People like this complain about a lack of jobs because they feel they are too good to compete with other unskilled laborers for the $7/hr job working in the fields.

My brother has a degree from ucirvine, criminology I think. He hasn't had a job in 7 years because he thinks he should be making a certain amount of money because of a degree. He won't even bother with normal hardworking low to mid level jobs because he thinks he's too good, even in a desperate ecconomy. Pretty disgusting to be honest. I don't know what the rent is like in Baltimore but if you're not happy with 42k, coming to the west coast ain't gonna help that. Even if you found a better job, you're looking at double or triple the expenses you're used to paying.

Originally Posted by u ttocs

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Slightly off-topic, however...
I know the economy's bad, people are out of work, etc, etc, but why has the general theme lately been that people should settle (and be totally happy) with whatever they're getting paid?  Is it wrong to feel like your education + experience should make you worth more?
Every time I see a thread about jobs or salaries its a bunch of people saying "you should be happy with that salary" "that's more than enough to be comfortable" "I got a friend with 5 masters and 3 doctorates who makes 8.00/hour"  

If you're cool with you salary (whatever it may be) because you feel it is appropriate considering your experience and education that's perfectly fine.  But if you're only cool with your salary because you're comparing yourself to other people who make less or because somebody else is telling you that's what you should be happy with y'all are seriously limiting your growth and devaluing yourself.

Peace. 

to continue your tangent.

in some cases,  yes, it is wrong to believe you are worth more than what you are earning.  a lot of people have a sense of entitlement.  they feel that because they went to college and got a degree in a certain field that they should be entitled to make X amount of money.  The reality is, youre worth what the market will pay for your services.  If you cant find someone willing to pay you $100K for your services, then tough nuts, you are not worth $100K a year.

heres my tangent on a tangent.

Its this sense of entitlement that causes people to %*+#+ and moan bout illegal immigrants stealing jobs from hardworking americans (with limited marketable skills).  These immigrants arent stealing anything.  Market price for manual labor just happens to be minimum wage or close to it.  Just because you are an American citizen and former union worker doesnt mean that you should get paid $22/hr to pick strawberries in a field.  People like this complain about a lack of jobs because they feel they are too good to compete with other unskilled laborers for the $7/hr job working in the fields.

My brother has a degree from ucirvine, criminology I think. He hasn't had a job in 7 years because he thinks he should be making a certain amount of money because of a degree. He won't even bother with normal hardworking low to mid level jobs because he thinks he's too good, even in a desperate ecconomy. Pretty disgusting to be honest. I don't know what the rent is like in Baltimore but if you're not happy with 42k, coming to the west coast ain't gonna help that. Even if you found a better job, you're looking at double or triple the expenses you're used to paying.
man i see this all the time.  people got too much pride these days.  i know that if i lost my job, i would start looking for a new gig the next day.  if i still didnt have anything and my unemployment was going to run out, i would start putting in apps at the local mickey D's or subway.  Just cause I got a college degree doesnt mean im too good to flip burgers.  I got a mortgage and other bills to pay.  My pride is not going to get in the way of me taking care of my financial responsibilities.

University of Washington, pretty legit school, for the state of Washington. I would expect to be making at least 65k easy. I handle interviews really well, but even since I moved out here I've just bombed all of them. The blue collar lifestyle just isn't for me and honestly Baltimore is the last place that needs to be worried about the environmental with all the unsolved homicides.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Twig1026 wrote:

Trues story. I know a chick with a masters working temp work cleaning schools and crap. be grateful man

I JUST met a girl working as a sushi waitress who has her PhD from Arizona in biochemistry. CRAZY.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

42k is low, but then again I guess that I have high expectations and expect a lot of myself. Plus I live in NYC where if it wasn't for the fact that I can still live with my mom and able to save money, I'd be living check to check down to the last penny.

But then again 42k in Baltimore is decent.  My friend was making that working operations at T Rowe before he switched to MS over there.

the major that he major in dont make no money but wont drop out cuz his parents will look at him funny...now tell me that aint insecurrrrrr....lol first thing that came to mind... why dont you try a govt jo ie FDA or something... they should pay around 60k???

OP where do you live in B-more.

Some good stories in here.  And I think a lot of people in here will tell you when it comes to the job market persistence pays off.  But as far as the degree being worthless....all it is to you is a foot in the door.  Its one small (expensive) step closer to a job then some one without a degree.

Originally Posted by steven42lh

Twig1026 wrote:

Trues story. I know a chick with a masters working temp work cleaning schools and crap. be grateful man

I JUST met a girl working as a sushi waitress who has her PhD from Arizona in biochemistry. CRAZY.
this cant be life...

Originally Posted by Dakingii

this cant be life...

maybe she didnt apply herself and look for job opportunities while still in school.  maybe she just assumed that companies would be lining up to hire her since she had a PhD.

PHD degree in biochemistry and work as sushi waitress ? LOL that girl just don't know how to carry herself in a job interview or she just have bad record or something

I knew the deal before I even got in to it. See my cousin get a BA in business and now he on the ground level working with companies on that pyramid scheme nonsense trying to get ppl to sign up for that LegalShield %$$#.

Canton in B-more, many people will tell you getting a job with the Feds/Gov is extremely difficult. 
laugh.gif
@ people thinking you just fill out your application with usajobs.gov and you are set. Now if your a vet your changes increase times 10, but it's not easy. You are set for life with government jobs, nobody leaves great benefits. I'm actually from Seattle not Baltimore and the experience is interesting.

To the person that went crazy on linked, nice! I'm not really into putting my personal information and job status on the website like that. But it does seem like my methods of obtaining a job aren't working at all. I have been to about 7 interviews since I've been here with my resume so I assume everything looks good in that department. Basically it seems like the specific field is limited in jobs and job growth which is the problem especially living in a non eco friendly city.

I'm in the process of just applying for server gig's/busser just to make quick cash and applying to jobs in other states. If I didn't live with my brother I'd prob have to sell my car and move back to Seattle asap.

what else would one need to do besides filling out an application on usajobs to get a job in the gov?

Originally Posted by debs 168

what else would one need to do besides filling out an application on usajobs to get a job in the gov?
have a family member that is a hiring manager at the job you want.

this cant be life...
eek.gif
. pharmacy degree better pay out for me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PAIDNFULL23

Originally Posted by ModernDarwin

laugh.gif
Anybody else just completely disagree?  I feel like there are tons of jobs out there but that now only truly qualified, connected people are getting the offers they deserve.  Out of my 600 facebook friends 98%+ of them have finished their undergrad degree (or more) and almost all 98% seem to have jobs.  It is much tougher to get that 'amazing' job with perks, bonuses etc but if you have experience, education and an ability to network there are still tons of jobs out there.  A simple look at SF Bay Area craigslist tells me that.  People that don't have a great job also don't seem to understand how to get one.  Use a recruiting service, take an unpaid internship, etc etc...there needs to be momentum to get that offer.  Just applying to jobs off the internet is really tough nowadays.  
For example, before I was at my current job I was out of work for six months.  I had a 80k+ job working for AT&T business in downtown ATL but knew that the city and the job was not my passion.  I quit and I moved back to California to change my lifestyle.  I was out of work for six months and nothing was clicking for me because who wants to hire someone that quit a great job and doesn't have any experience besides that job.  However, that wasn't true; it was just my self-limiting mindset.  They just didn't hire me because I just applied over the internet and I was a faceless number among thousands others likely.  

I was on the Warriors website and realized that I would have to start somewhere and change what I was doing.  I looked at the staff listings for the Warriors and noticed it said the college they graduated from.  One of the guys working there graduated from the same university as me, and the same year.  I went to my LinkedIn account and found him on there and since we were both part of the UCSB Alumni group I could send him a message.  I sent him a short message, "Hey, I'm also a Guacho.  I don't think I knew you at college but thought I'd reach out to you to see if you had any advice about getting a position with the Warriors.  I am really interested in a similar position to the one you are doing and wanted to ask you a few questions.  If you have some time let me know when is a good time to chat.  Thanks!"  He sent me a message back, and a time and direct # to call.  We chatted and he gave my resume directly to the hiring manager.  I got invited in for an interview (along with 4 other people). I asked them how they got interviews and all of them had family or close friends that worked with the Warriors.  I was the only one that made it through to even the interview stage without having that personal connection.  After the interviews I got an offer, but decided to go with another job that was I was interested in (and best decision of my life thus far).
Great advice and congratulations.  If you don't mind me asking, what do you do now?
No, but i think you might be 'disappointed' with the response.  I teach English full-time at an after school program in South Korea.  I get paid much less ($2300 a month), but I am able to save much more than I did when I had a 80k+ job and am doing my double master's full time at the same time.  My work pays for my apartment, I don't have to pay U.S taxes or Korean income taxes due to a tax treaty, and don't have the usual expenses of living in the US.  

If I look at it per hour/how much I could save/time spent at work/cost of living and monthly expenses I'd have to make 78k+ a year in the U.S to get to a similar style of life.

I think I am in a unique situation (most foreign teaching jobs aren't as good), but it has given me a chance to see many countries, live in a new place, learn how to create daily habits of success, get in shape, get out of debt, and still continue to build the network and education I'll need for when I return to the U.S.

Originally Posted by Osek206

Canton in B-more, many people will tell you getting a job with the Feds/Gov is extremely difficult. 
laugh.gif
@ people thinking you just fill out your application with usajobs.gov and you are set. Now if your a vet your changes increase times 10, but it's not easy. You are set for life with government jobs, nobody leaves great benefits. I'm actually from Seattle not Baltimore and the experience is interesting.

To the person that went crazy on linked, nice! I'm not really into putting my personal information and job status on the website like that. But it does seem like my methods of obtaining a job aren't working at all. I have been to about 7 interviews since I've been here with my resume so I assume everything looks good in that department. Basically it seems like the specific field is limited in jobs and job growth which is the problem especially living in a non eco friendly city.

I'm in the process of just applying for server gig's/busser just to make quick cash and applying to jobs in other states. If I didn't live with my brother I'd prob have to sell my car and move back to Seattle asap.
Filled out my app on USAJOBS and i make $110k+ a year with a high school degree.  But yeah im a vet so that gave me a whole 5 extra points.  Big deal.

We got a dude at work who has his masters in architecture from UCLA and also have a lawyer.  The UCLA grad got tired of designing buildings just to have someone else put their name on it.  i guess thats how it works when you first start out.  The lawyer moved and instead of passing the bar in a new state just decided to change fields.  Big gamble if you ask me. 

So basically you can do what your passionate about or make money.  Most of the times they wont be the samething.

this cant be life...

maybe she didnt apply herself and look for job opportunities while still in school.  maybe she just assumed that companies would be lining up to hire her since she had a PhD.

if this is the case, I would imagine a person who has gone thru the rigors of obtaining a doctoral degree would know the ins & outs of their respective job market and potential jobs. At the least, especially in the field of biochemistry, how does she NOT have a post-doc position somewhere lined up? It's not the greatest money in the world but there's valuable experience to be gained. Does she not know how to write a grant or anything? 
I'm assuming that the sushi waitress job might be just a temporary side hustle for now which is totally fine but if it's not -- she's just wasting her time and talents, and may be the stupidest smart person ever. *Did she get her PhD from Barry University?

My bad but I just read that you met her so of course you wouldn't know her life story. End rant 
laugh.gif

this cant be life...

This can happen. 
This is more common when people go through undergrad, almost straight into masters, then into PhD with little to no work experience. 

When they come out, they're around 30 with zero work experience and just an educational background (thus most of them end up lecturing).

Back
Top Bottom