My Favorite Hip Hop Album Year By Year: 1988-2008...Dissect, Discuss, Comment, w/e

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Man i dont know you missed a TON of good albums imo.

First thing that pops out is that all of the abums in 94... not even a HM for Ready to Die. I mean imo Illmatic=GOAT although i think BIG= GOAT but not even a
HM
smh.gif

IMO Moment of Truth should take 98 easy. IMO album is a classic and dont get enough props.

Why do you guys keep insisting that RD isn't listed? You're like the 4th person whose said that.
laugh.gif

And I'm sorry but Doggystyle > 36 Chambers imo.

Both are top 10 all time, but Doggstyle is top 5.

Doggystye>The Chronic>Dogg Food=2001

If you don't mind me asking what albums did I missed?

Keep in mind I've already explained the lack of BP and Eminem's absence.

Originally Posted by purplehazze96

Man i dont know you missed a TON of good albums imo.

First thing that pops out is that all of the abums in 94... not even a HM for Ready to Die. I mean imo Illmatic=GOAT although i think BIG= GOAT but not even a
HM
smh.gif

IMO Moment of Truth should take 98 easy. IMO album is a classic and dont get enough props.

Why do you guys keep insisting that RD isn't listed? You're like the 4th person whose said that.
laugh.gif

And I'm sorry but Doggystyle > 36 Chambers imo.

Both are top 10 all time, but Doggstyle is top 5.

Doggystye>The Chronic>Dogg Food=2001

If you don't mind me asking what albums did I missed?

Keep in mind I've already explained the lack of BP and Eminem's absence.
my b with RD
roll.gif

As for Doggystyle, i dont know i mean i just really dont like Snoop, but even if i did i still dont know if it can touch 36 chambers but obvi its all opinionsi guess.

As for the missing albums check my list

EDIT: and also whats BP?? Blueprint??
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I'm one of the biggest Nassir fans on the board, It Was Written has a couple of my all time favorite songs on it. As an album though, it's not seeing ATLiens, Ironman, Reasonable Doubt, Illadelph Halflife, etc.

you buggin though...how u a nas fan and you didn't note the BUZZZZZZZZ for it was written..the "next album from the maker of illmatic"

1996 was Nas year BY FAR.....if i ruled the world all over MTV and on the radio, Source cover in 1996, one of his highest selling albums ever...Nas was at his

Commerial apex when it was written came out.

none of those other albums had 1996 like it was written did...of course you may try to look at different now, but as they always say hindsight is 20/20.

I didn't take buzz into account what so ever while making this list. I based it strictly off the quality of music. IW, just doesn't qualify for my"Hip-Hop Hall of Fame" so to speak.

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Aside from The Marshall Mather's LP & Blueprint which I already noted, I listed every single album you listed with the exception of The Predator.
laugh.gif
Which probably should of been on there anyway.

And yea BP=Blueprint

I didn't take buzz into account what so ever while making this list. I based it strictly off the quality of music. IW, just doesn't qualify for my "Hip-Hop Hall of Fame" so to speak.

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Aside from The Marshall Mather's LP & Blueprint which I already noted, I listed every single album you listed with the exception of The Predator.
laugh.gif
Which probably should of been on there anyway.

And yea BP=Blueprint
Yeah true i think a big part was i didnt see Ready to Die on it. And i dont like Snoop. but we also had differences in terms of recent hip-hop...

and yeah Predator is my shhhiiiitttttt
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Can't co-sign Doggystyle over 36 Chamber and Midnight Marauders at all.
smh.gif

There's only a couple songs on DS I can even still mess with.

Originally Posted by TheProfessorOfPugilism

No Black Milk - Tronic for '08? To me, that and the Atmosphere album were the best things to come out this year.

Straight up forgot that one, I think it was number 4 when I posted my top 20 of 08 a couple of weeks ago

And yall east coast heads probably don't see enough sun to properly appreciate Doggystyle.
laugh.gif

Riding around, windows down in 80 degree weather, blunt in one hand, steering wheel in the other, plus G-funk thumping through the system = bliss

Seriously though, 36 Chambers and Doggystyle are both amazing albums. Two of my all time favorites.

Originally Posted by PeterJamesThe3rd

Smh at the marshall mather lp not being on this...
Smh at nelly's country grammar not being on even a honorable mention.
ohwell.gif

Nice list , only the orders would change a bit. Damn 94-95 probably the 2 best back to back years, of all time.
Ready to die would be number one for me in '94.
Mobb Deep in '95.
96 the score was just a bit better then the Outkast album if you ask me, but both are CLASSICS!
In '03 I cant decide between The black album and Freeway, but where's GRODT easily a classic, ruled the year.
'05 was all about the documentary for me.
'06 was great, i'd prefer Lupe though. I'm surprised to see the Format, didnt like it too much.
'07 was good too what about Big doe rehab? Never got the hang of the Razah album....
As for '08 where's atmosphere?
Good list but one main character is missing big time, EMINEM. The Marshal MAthers, Slim SHady and the Eminem show should be posted, if you ask me.

Country Grammar? Country Grammar?

I'm an avid Nelly fan. CG, Nellyville, hell there are even a hand full of tracks I liked of Sweat/Suit.

But if you honestly think it should be mentioned in the same breath as those albums I don't know what to say.

And yall need to realize Em aint for everyone. Like I said before, dudes skill on the mic is almost unprecedented (usage?) but his style doesn't suit me atall.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Nice list , only the orders would change a bit. Damn 94-95 probably the 2 best back to back years, of all time.

Ready to die would be number one for me in '94.
Mobb Deep in '95.
96 the score was just a bit better then the Outkast album if you ask me, but both are CLASSICS!
In '03 I cant decide between The black album and Freeway, but where's GRODT easily a classic, ruled the year.
'05 was all about the documentary for me.
'06 was great, i'd prefer Lupe though. I'm surprised to see the Format, didnt like it too much.
'07 was good too what about Big doe rehab? Never got the hang of the Razah album....
As for '08 where's atmosphere?

Good list but one main character is missing big time, EMINEM. The Marshal MAthers, Slim SHady and the Eminem show should be posted, if you ask me.

Format is too slept on. My second favorite AZ album. The Format (the song) is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Premo murdered that beat.

I actually like Big Doe Rehab a lot. Never understood the hate it gets. 07 was loaded though.

I'm really not huge on Atmosphere. I can enjoy them a lil bit at a time and i recognize the critical acclaim When Live Gives You Lemons got but I reallywasn't feeling it aside from 3 tracks.

edit:

Originally Posted by PeterJamesThe3rd

Smh at the marshall mather lp not being on this...

I'm not crazy for it. I respect Em's ability and talent as an emcee but his music doesn't really appeal to me. Marshall Mathers LP is my favorite album of his but it's definitely not one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

From 98 and on, me and you apear to be at opposite ends of the spectrum....

We're probably not. Not to come off with elitist but my taste are very broad and cover both ends of the spectrum. What are your favorite releases post 98? I know for a fact that I forgot some of the mainstream ones.

Originally Posted by Fitness Guru

Wow@madvillany bot being ya top for 04

I'm not gonna front, I haven't heard it. In fact the only Doom projects I've listened to are Mm Food and Vaudevill Villain. I really need to catch up on his catalogue, I love his work....In doses.

i got ALOT of doom and doom related...zip?

thanks again for the great thread

"Lord Finesse - Return of the Funky Man" needs to be on that 1991 list for sure

and I would put Lootpack on the 1999 list and Jurassic 5 on the 2000 list

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head might deserve to be on there too

I got to listen to some of these... I'd change a couple things but your list is definitely acceptable

BP is slowly becoming the most overrated album of all time, anyone who has the nerve to say that it was better than Stillmatic can get on all fours and lickthe bottom of my nut sack.

EPMD - Strictly Business
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Roach To the Riches
Brand Nubian - One for All
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & Soul Brother
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Common - Ressurection or Method Man - Tical
Mobb Deep - The Infamous or Raekwon - OB4CL or Group Home - Livin Proof
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt or De La Soul- stakes is high
slum village- fantastic vol. 1 or Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Mos Def & Talib - Blackstar
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe or Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
Scarface - The Fix
Little Brother - The Listening
De, De La Soul - The Grind Date
Common - Be or Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor (leaked version)
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

im stuck in 07

08' aint offer much and im thinking the same for 09'

Back
Top Bottom