My Final for Graphic Design 1

Man, I wish I picked a major that let me be creative.
frown.gif

If the target market is a younger audience (ie kids) then i think the tilted titles work.

Otherwise, it looks amateur and "different for the sake of being different". You really cant go wrong with classic typography and i assume that since your major is graphic design, your curriculum must include at least one typography class. (if not id transfer schools, asap).

Im just a fan of classic typographic layouts though, to each their own. I would agree with what someone said earlier though, that for a first year student this isnt bad.

Originally Posted by ricky robot

frown.gif

Reality is though that with the economic slump, graphic designers took one of the biggest hits ever. If you are doing it for a living and making decent money, consider yourself very fortunate. College graduates in general are having a hard time landing jobs let alone people graduating with a degree in graphic design. Either no one is hiring or if (say a firm) does, you will most likely be a temp with no actual means of being hired. Freelance might be the best way to go now but prepared to be low balled like no other. I had a friend that got let go at a design firm and was charging jobs at a rate of $60-70 per hour. Not he is asking about $20-30 an on projects.

It's tough times. I always let people know what I didn't do in this major. Start interning now if you haven't already. I know it could be tough balancing school and doing a job for free but it is the best way to go when you graduate.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

frown.gif

Reality is though that with the economic slump, graphic designers took one of the biggest hits ever. If you are doing it for a living and making decent money, consider yourself very fortunate. College graduates in general are having a hard time landing jobs let alone people graduating with a degree in graphic design. Either no one is hiring or if (say a firm) does, you will most likely be a temp with no actual means of being hired. Freelance might be the best way to go now but prepared to be low balled like no other. I had a friend that got let go at a design firm and was charging jobs at a rate of $60-70 per hour. Not he is asking about $20-30 an on projects.

It's tough times. I always let people know what I didn't do in this major. Start interning now if you haven't already. I know it could be tough balancing school and doing a job for free but it is the best way to go when you graduate.

fong, im from the bay area and i been following your blog and sites for a min, i know you do the photography stuff but you know alot about graphic design, you into that too?
nerd.gif

p.s. OP im feeling the project 
pimp.gif
 keep it up...

I like it, it's nice and simple.

With that being said, I hate Graphic Design with a passion.

Sketchbook>CS4
Illustration>Graphic Design

I hate Indesign also.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

nice job broham

if you wanna be anal about it you can fix the text by rasterizing the layer first then rotating it...but you wont be able to edit it...so keep a copy...

there should be an easier way to do this....but thats how i do it lol

This was done in InDesign or Illustrator-- no need to rasterize. InDesign and Illustrator handle type 1,000 times better.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I like it, it's nice and simple.

With that being said, I hate Graphic Design with a passion.

Sketchbook>CS4
Illustration>Graphic Design

I hate Indesign also.
laugh.gif

If you're good at Illustration, there's a strong demand for it in the design field right now, actually.

And InDesign is easy to hate. I hated it for a while too, and then I needed to do a layout and it became my best friend.

Indesign is great but not as used as the other Adobe products. It's a tool of the trade though. People will straight of laugh at you if you design mags/books using photoshop or Illustrator. Actually if you really geek out on it, layout design can be a whole art form in itself. A lot of good books out there as reference.

Originally Posted by SINce1987

frown.gif

fong, im from the bay area and i been following your blog and sites for a min, i know you do the photography stuff but you know alot about graphic design, you into that too?
nerd.gif

pimp.gif
 keep it up...

SINce1987....right on dude. It's a sad tale but unfortunately I have bachelors degree graphic design. I was in a pickle when deciding what major and chose this cause I thought it was the wave of the future. I just did it all wrong and went to a bad school (SF State=weaksauce). Pretty much I am just not made for doing it as a job. Not only do you have to be good at designer in the visual sense, but there is a whole technical aspect to it more so. People have to balance out being a designer, business man, micro manager, a social individual and so much more. It really is a tough profession and sad to say, you really don't make an amazing amount of money unless you are into web design or work with a team that has a lot of hook up.

But all these things can be overlooked by the right person. I learned the hard way. If you are gung ho for it, go full force and don't half +*+ it. You could be just wasting your own time and money on tuition. Honestly I should have been a nurse or a struggling artist. I don't even know how to draw no more.

too conservative for a GD class IMHO. I'm not saying be fancy, but it's too plain (if I were the prof, I'd give it a C+ for the effort).

what I can say though is that it's clean.

goodluck!

Indesign is great but not as used as the other Adobe products. It's a tool of the trade though. People will straight of laugh at you if you design mags/books using photoshop or Illustrator. Actually if you really geek out on it, layout design can be a whole art form in itself. A lot of good books out there as reference.

Originally Posted by SINce1987

frown.gif

nerd.gif

pimp.gif
 keep it up...

SINce1987....right on dude. It's a sad tale but unfortunately I have bachelors degree graphic design. I was in a pickle when deciding what major and chose this cause I thought it was the wave of the future. I just did it all wrong and went to a bad school (SF State=weaksauce). Pretty much I am just not made for doing it as a job. Not only do you have to be good at designer in the visual sense, but there is a whole technical aspect to it more so. People have to balance out being a designer, business man, micro manager, a social individual and so much more. It really is a tough profession and sad to say, you really don't make an amazing amount of money unless you are into web design or work with a team that has a lot of hook up.

But all these things can be overlooked by the right person. I learned the hard way. If you are gung ho for it, go full force and don't half +*+ it. You could be just wasting your own time and money on tuition. Honestly I should have been a nurse or a struggling artist. I don't even know how to draw no more.
Honestly, if you are a design major from a well known art school (art center, risd, sva, etc) and you don't have a good job or a well paying job, then you're doing it wrong. Everyone I know is getting paid and not unemployed right now, even in this market. The bad thing though is that design majors from lesser known schools are misguided by their teachers and counselors making them think they'll be getting PAID just for designing. But most of those people have weak portfolios, no contacts, no internships, and no way to make money. 
Interactive/motion designers get paid the most, while print designers are struggling more than others. No one is really hiring though, but alot of people who are in at agencies, whether digital shops or traditional ones are in. It always seems to me though that those with lesser education from lesser known schools get paid less. Of course there are ALOT of exceptions, im just saying. It is what you make of it, but being a great design school does help tremendously. 

Sorry to hear you had to learn the hard way, as I am 100% positive your experience would have been different at a real art school. 

^^^^I actually agree with you from seeing it done by a friend of mine that went to the academy. I don't doubt skills regardless what school people go to but I do know that people seem to come more prepped coming out of a proper school. Unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time and went to the lesser school but I would say i think I would have had a better experience if I went to a better school.

And yes...there are exceptions to the rule for sure. I keep in touch with 4 guys from my school and the one that is doing the best is the one that didn't graduate (other 3 got a masters and I got a BA). Dude took a internship at Fontshop and got most of his credentials there. Went off and worked for iMeem for a bit and then built so many contacts that he quit his job there and freelanced for a good couple of years. I think he went back to a corporate job cause he has 2 kids now but it was quite an accomplishment considering he has no degree at all.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

nice job broham

if you wanna be anal about it you can fix the text by rasterizing the layer first then rotating it...but you wont be able to edit it...so keep a copy...

there should be an easier way to do this....but thats how i do it lol

This was done in InDesign or Illustrator-- no need to rasterize. InDesign and Illustrator handle type 1,000 times better.
i was talking about how the letters were not 100% aligned...

While having a degree from a top tier school might get your foot in the door a little easier, in the design field all that REALLY matters is how good you are.

There are plenty of top notch designers out there who never even went to school for it. Thats obviously the exception as opposed the rule, but its true.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

too conservative for a GD class IMHO. I'm not saying be fancy, but it's too plain (if I were the prof, I'd give it a C+ for the effort).

what I can say though is that it's clean.

goodluck!

Actually after looking at it a bunch, I do agree that this is a little too toned down for college work. I think when you are in school, it might be a good idea to push the limits since there really is no major restrictions when doing projects. If this was real work, then I would show it "as is" in your portfolio but when you have a description that this is college work, it might come off as a little conservative.

This is how I always used to look at work when I was in school moreso. I am sure a lot of us here are Michael Jordan fans and know of the history of their identity and ad campaigns that they put out. I think in some way, the book should reflect that type of professional buildup even if it is something way simpler then the shoes they create. Michael Jordan is a man of MVP awards, championship titles, money, style (some would say no), businessmen....does this book represent that man we all come to desire? Number one thing I was told in school with anything is research. Should go back and even read some Michael Jordan books. Look at old Jordan boxes and even the oast and present shoe designs. It adds that much more if you can take all these interesting elements and put it into a project.

Originally Posted by oo206oo

While having a degree from a top tier school might get your foot in the door a little easier, in the design field all that REALLY matters is how good you are.

There are plenty of top notch designers out there who never even went to school for it. Thats obviously the exception as opposed the rule, but its true.

^ yep thats true. I know plenty of my classmates who I wondered why they were even there, or how they even got in, when it was obvious they didnt have the passion for design or the talent. Sure enough, alot of them didn't get good paying jobs or decided to do something else. You end up with a weak portfolio, you not going anywhere.

The point of the top tier school though is that you can link up with other top tier designers, teachers, etc and have a great network. You're surrounded by talent, its what you do with it. If you have talent, going to a great school would benefit much better than a bottom level one. You're forced to perform better than you think you can. This might be a bad analogy, but its like those raw high school basketball players who skipped college to go straight to the pros. The talent was obviously there, some made it on their own, but others needed some extra guidance and the right people along the path to help shape them into better players/business men.

Back
Top Bottom