My First NA Meeting

BigDanes89

formerly bigdanes14
Went to my first NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting. Not for myself because I will never use hard drugs, but for my good friend's mom. She was a guest speaker and she invited me to the meeting. She used to be a meth addict for a long time, but now she's 3 years sober
smile.gif
 and supports her family. Very inspirational, there was a woman who had 2 strikes & 42 felonies
eek.gif
 because she became an addict, but somehow made it through and supports her daughter now.

Made me think a lot about my life and how we all go through pain & struggle.

Has anyone on NT been to one NA/AA meeting? If so share your experiences.

I had to attend about 20 AA meetings by court order due to alcohol related trouble. While I respect the fact that those meetings help a lot of people change their lives around, it's not something I'd ever consider trying if I felt I had an alcohol problem. I really disagree with being told that you are powerless and can't help yourself and that you have to submit to a higher power. 

Originally Posted by megatron

Can you post the stories?
They didn't tell graphic stories because there was children there, but the lady with the 42 felonies said she had enough when she went to prison and had to talk to her kid behind a glass window.

And to So Nyuh, I feel you. A lot of people thanked God and the meeting was held in a church. I give the Credit all to the person for staying strong and hanging in there.

You know, what really got me was when people would share and they would say, "yeah, today I really wanted to drink, but then my higher power stopped me from making that mistake." I mean, NO ONE would give credit themselves for maintaining their sobriety and that didn't seem to bother anyone else there.

Is it true that they tell you once an addict always an addict, my girl went to rehab and they told her this and she believes it

^ Didn't notice, but when you want to speak you have to state your name and say "I'm an addict" so I'm guessing that idea applies.

Yes, once an addict always an addict. The idea stems from the belief that they are diseased. In my experiences, not everyone stated that they were an addict or an alcoholic. I was never forced to speak but I certainly wasn't going to state that I was an alcoholic.

^Yeh even the ppl who have been clean for years had to say they were an addict, which didn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted by bigdanes14

^Yeh even the ppl who have been clean for years had to say they were an addict, which didn't make sense to me.
That's a pretty backwards way to look at it. Not your comment but the idea that they tell people in rehab that once an addict always an addict, people move on with their lives so why should they be subjected to believe that they are something they overcame 
ohwell.gif

My father-in-law is two years sober, I have went to a few AA meetings with him tosee him speak. At first it's REALLY awkward, but after you get used to it, you can really feel all the positive energy in the room and it's something i've never felt before...kind of cool actually.

No never been. I don't have any sympathy for them either, addiction isn't a disease its a choice that leads to addiction and they classify it as a disease so they can have some sort of peace of mind that their actions are justifiable. Sorry im not sorry.

Back
Top Bottom