My New Monthly Economics Thread: Regulation Causes Catastrophe

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

Lame analogy.

Violent crimes and white collar crimes are nothing alike. Depriving someone of the right to life (unjustly) is not the same as ruining a business. One is reversible. The other is permanent.

According to your argument, the number of victims should determine the severity of the punishment.  Am I to understand that a hacker who impacts hundreds of people should be put to death for a non violent crime?

Nice semantics game.

You're not (only) ruining a business. You're ruining people's lives as well. You're taking food out of people's mouths. When it comes to everything but white collar crime this offense usually leads to bodily harm
laugh.gif

As for your hacker argument, it depends what the hacker did. Some hacking hurts people a lot more than other forms.

You don't want capital punishment? Fine. Like I said, a life sentence is just as good.
Let me guess, you'd be against a life sentence as well because the punishment doesn't fit the crime, right? No wonder why white collar crime is so profitable.

Lame analogy.

Violent crimes and white collar crimes are nothing alike. Depriving someone of the right to life (unjustly) is not the same as ruining a business. One is reversible. The other is permanent.

According to your argument, the number of victims should determine the severity of the punishment.  Am I to understand that a hacker who impacts hundreds of people should be put to death for a non violent crime?

Nice semantics game.

You're not (only) ruining a business. You're ruining people's lives as well. You're taking food out of people's mouths. When it comes to everything but white collar crime this offense usually leads to bodily harm
laugh.gif

As for your hacker argument, it depends what the hacker did. Some hacking hurts people a lot more than other forms.

You don't want capital punishment? Fine. Like I said, a life sentence is just as good.
Let me guess, you'd be against a life sentence as well because the punishment doesn't fit the crime, right? No wonder why white collar crime is so profitable.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Lame analogy.

Nice semantics game.
(sigh)
You're not (only) ruining a business. You're ruining people's lives as well.
You're taking food out of people's mouths.

You're arguing that white collar crime = violent murder because murder deprives the victim's family of his contribution, thereby harming said survivors. White collar crime takes food out of people's mouths, thereby resulting in bodily harm as well.

Attenuated. Ridiculously attenuated.

In a murder case, the victim is the individual who's right to life is denied. Irreversibly. Any fallout to his family is of secondary importance. Otherwise, murdering a family man would be a more grievous crime than murdering a bachelor; and consequently deserving of a stricter punishment. 

Let's assume, arguendo, that the real victims are are the individuals you mentioned. Let's put aside the victim and focus on his family. Let's put aside the shareholders and focus on the employees. How is the loss of a murdered loved one in any way comparable to the loss of a job?

When it comes to everything but white collar crime this offense usually leads to bodily harm
laugh.gif

White collar crime leads to bodily harm? Care to elaborate?  (I [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]sincerely[/color] hope you are not will not make the argument I think you are about to)

And . . . what are the implications on sentencing guidelines? Would a Madoff sized hack deserve the death penalty?
Western jurisprudence focuses on the nature of the crime. The number of victims is a secondary consideration.
One murder > 100 cases of fraud.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

There is no legal or ethical basis for executing non - violent white collar criminals.

(Oh, but they do it in China . . .)

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Lame analogy.

Nice semantics game.
(sigh)
You're not (only) ruining a business. You're ruining people's lives as well.
You're taking food out of people's mouths.

You're arguing that white collar crime = violent murder because murder deprives the victim's family of his contribution, thereby harming said survivors. White collar crime takes food out of people's mouths, thereby resulting in bodily harm as well.

Attenuated. Ridiculously attenuated.

In a murder case, the victim is the individual who's right to life is denied. Irreversibly. Any fallout to his family is of secondary importance. Otherwise, murdering a family man would be a more grievous crime than murdering a bachelor; and consequently deserving of a stricter punishment. 

Let's assume, arguendo, that the real victims are are the individuals you mentioned. Let's put aside the victim and focus on his family. Let's put aside the shareholders and focus on the employees. How is the loss of a murdered loved one in any way comparable to the loss of a job?

When it comes to everything but white collar crime this offense usually leads to bodily harm
laugh.gif

White collar crime leads to bodily harm? Care to elaborate?  (I [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]sincerely[/color] hope you are not will not make the argument I think you are about to)

And . . . what are the implications on sentencing guidelines? Would a Madoff sized hack deserve the death penalty?
Western jurisprudence focuses on the nature of the crime. The number of victims is a secondary consideration.
One murder > 100 cases of fraud.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)][/color]

There is no legal or ethical basis for executing non - violent white collar criminals.

(Oh, but they do it in China . . .)

Back
Top Bottom