NaS Is Still Right Vol. Eat That Watermelon

Did method man steal my avy?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by toast1985

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

i like how "corporations" are blamed. Quote

they're pushing the stuff that people want.

i don't see millions of people rushing out to buy immortal technique cd's.
I'm saying.
What exactly are you saying? Who is in charge of deciding what airs on the radios? What music videos are played on TV? What artist get record deals? Us right? Since that is what we want to hear and all.
eyes.gif
Come on you know better than that. The bottom line is all these corporations are trying to make the highest profit possible, and that means(trying) to put out the music that will make them the most money. Which means, of course, it has to be music that a lot of people will be willing to buy.

Yeah it's a trade off. I remember in an interview someone said:

"With the internet I'm only selling 30K first week, but without it I wouldn't be selling out shows in Budapest and Stockholm"

i like how "corporations" are blamed.

Im siding with you on this one.
If the youth or whoever is buying todays music had the correct morals and value of self instilled in them
They wouldnt dare listen to this crap.
But sadly the state of hiphop concurs with everything else in todays America. From movies to television shows, its all sex, violence, and nudity.
I can't turn the channel with out seeing someone humping or blasting someone.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

How is this what people want when Hip-Hop sales are at an all time low?

Rap fans been saying Hip-Hop is dead for a minute and record sales are reflecting it.

They obviously are not pushing "the stuff people want".
maybe hip hop is "dead," or at least it peaked a long time ago. not such a crazy thought.

happens to every genre of music.

to say they are "obviously" not pushing what consumers want is quite a bold statement. tell me then, what do consumers want?
record sales are no longer an indication of what consumers want because of how easy it is to download. hip hop record sales USED to be anindication of what people want, but that era did peak. there are certain cd's that i would absolutely have purchased if it wasnt easier, faster and cheaperto go to a torrent site, and have the entire album 12 minutes later (although i have exceptions w/my favorite artists). we have to attempt to create a newmethodology to determine demand to tailor to technological advances

however it is realistic to say that people's desires can be controlled by available supply (which is what the corps have the power to control). If alleverybody hears on the radio is Kanye and 50 cent (no offense to either) and they've never heard an immortal technique track, theyre gonna want the new Yeor 50 regardless.

I'm saying.
What exactly are you saying? Who is in charge of deciding what airs on the radios? What music videos are played on TV? What artist get record deals? Us right? [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Since that is what we want to hear and all.[/color]
eyes.gif
Is it not?

This is a Chicken vs. Egg approach, a corporation's job is to invest in a lucrative market. The corporation could give two !@* about who that marketsegment is, and what negative impacts it may have on the given audience.

Originally Posted by richKarlmarx

How is this what people want when Hip-Hop sales are at an all time low?

Rap fans been saying Hip-Hop is dead for a minute and record sales are reflecting it.

They obviously are not pushing "the stuff people want".
maybe hip hop is "dead," or at least it peaked a long time ago. not such a crazy thought.

happens to every genre of music.

to say they are "obviously" not pushing what consumers want is quite a bold statement. tell me then, what do consumers want?
record sales are no longer an indication of what consumers want because of how easy it is to download. hip hop record sales USED to be an indication of what people want, but that era did peak.
i know, i clarified in a later post. it's not about what people want, it's about what will make the most money. if a million people wantan album but nobody will pay for it or its singles, it's not as valuable as something where people will readily pay for ringtones, singles, albums, etc.

i know, i clarified in a later post. it's not about what people want, it's about what will make the most money. if a million people want an album but nobody will pay for it or its singles, it's not as valuable as something where people will readily pay for ringtones, singles, albums, etc.

yeah my b. i saw it after i made my post.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

a straight diss to the south....

Nah, its a Diss to All of hip hop in General. Every region is doin this same %%%%#$$+ ****in, shuckin and Jivin.

Its some shameful %@!! if u really look at it for what it is, instead of tryin to say a diss to a region.

Dude said "It's not what we want to hear"

Whose we ? In saying that you are talking from the perspective of a real fan. The thing is... these real fans are only 10-20% of consumers, so why the hellwould a record executive put out good music ?

For example, Kool G Rap sold 669 in his first week.
indifferent.gif

You can argue he didn't have promotion or whatever, but I guarantee you a lil wayne album would sell more than a G Rap album with equal promotion init's first 30 minutes on the shelf.

Why ? Ignorant fans. It's simple business 101... not some conspiracy. Obviously what sells will be pushed. The hell would spend money promoting a G Rapalbum (no matter how good it is) anymore when only 600 people will buy it ?

I'm saying.
What exactly are you saying? Who is in charge of deciding what airs on the radios? What music videos are played on TV? What artist get record deals? Us right? Since that is what we want to hear and all.
eyes.gif
Come on you know better than that. The bottom line is all these corporations are trying to make the highest profit possible, and that means (trying) to put out the music that will make them the most money. Which means, of course, it has to be music that a lot of people will be willing to buy.
But look back at the late 80s early 90s. What acts where the most successful? What kind of rap music was the most popular then? When did thatchange? Why did it change? Was this a progression regression manipulated or did it coincide with the changein the times?

Originally Posted by GTEK

If the youth or whoever is buying todays music had the correct morals and value of self instilled in them
But sadly the state of hiphop concurs with everything else in todays America. From movies to television shows, its all sex, violence, and nudity.
smh.gif
You still watch TV though right? That is part of the problem. People let the media and other outside influences raise their kids.
The digital transition and my cable being cut off is one of the greatest things that has happened to me in a long time. I have not sat down to watch a singleTV show from beginning to end since June and I do not miss it at all.

DAYTONA 5000 wrote:

The digital transition and my cable being cut off is one of the greatest things that has happened to me in a long time. I have not sat down to watch a single TV show from beginning to end since June and I do not miss it at all.

My dude...
pimp.gif

Cutting off cable was one of the best things I have done in a minute.

I haven't missed it in the slightest.

I'm saying.
eyes.gif
Come on you know better than that. The bottom line is all these corporations are trying to make the highest profit possible, and that means (trying) to put out the music that will make them the most money. Which means, of course, it has to be music that a lot of people will be willing to buy.
But look back at the late 80s early 90s. What acts where the most successful? What kind of rap music was the most popular then? When did that change? Why did it change? Was this a progression regression manipulated or did it coincide with the change in the times?

Originally Posted by GTEK

smh.gif
You still watch TV though right? That is part of the problem. People let the media and other outside influences raise their kids.
The digital transition and my cable being cut off is one of the greatest things that has happened to me in a long time. I have not sat down to watch a single TV show from beginning to end since June and I do not miss it at all.

Only time I do is for History, AMC, or TV land, and Sci-fi Twilight Zone episodes.
I have control of what I watch. Because I am aware. The same way you choose to come to niketalk instead of ********.

Originally Posted by M16

"With the internet I'm only selling 30K first week, but without it I wouldn't be selling out shows in Budapest and Stockholm"
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

VVord
dudes need to sell an experience, not an album, they should be doing that for free

Thing is Nas and a few others are representatives of commercial Hip hop now days, they sold units before the bling era. So to defend the state of where hip hopis at is righteous. Nas is not underground anymore, he's signed to def-jam, battled jay-z, has classic albums etc. Underground hip hop or ratherunderground music is still strong, especially with how independent it is to market yourself as an artist on the internet. At the end of the day music will bemusic, #@*% no #@*%, good or bad. Nas is definitely repping for the direction of where hip hop is heading though.

laugh.gif

I always laugh when people insinuate that not watching T.V. makes one "enlightened".

What does the medium I choose to get my entertainment from have to do with my intellectual ability? What does that say about how smart one is?

No, not everyone is as dumb as you. Not everyone lacks the ability to discern between entertainment and truth. Yes, it is possible to watch Spongebob and havea 4.0.

The relationship between intelligence and "intellectual activities" such as reading, playing chess and the like isn't linear. In fact,intelligence doens't have a linear relationship with ANYTHING. So please, spare us with the "cutting off T.V. is the best thing i've ever done! Ifeel so much smarter!" talk, because chances are you still listen to rap music, drink, smoke... and generally engage in other forms of entertainment thataren't regarded as mentally stimulating.

So in your mind you've tried to distance yourself from the rest, but in reality you've just painted yourself out to be a hypocrite.

I do agree that Hip Hop nowadays can be interpreted as a "modern day minstrel show". If you just look at race in media, racial lines are veryapparent. Only certain races on screen can do this or that. Only black men can be sexually objectifying towards women (the return of the stereotype of theblack rapist), explicit sexual lyrics, etc. However, like what many people had said Hip Hop is still thriving in America and all around the world within the"underground community". That "Hip Hop" is a medium for empowerment for ghetto youth in America and the colonized and oppressed of theworld.

I wish people would be more attentive of the racial implications in media. Racism still exists in very subtle forms. It exists in what we consume. It existsin the racial imagination that is conditioned by what we see, hear, taste as "race".

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

laugh.gif

I always laugh when people insinuate that not watching T.V. makes one "enlightened".

yawn.jpg

Did anyone say this?

You failed at the first sentence.
insinuate:

1 a: to introduce (as an idea) gradually or in a subtle, indirect, or covert way

I guess your time away from the T.V. hasn't helped your vocabulary.
laugh.gif

Don't try. You'll lose. Trust me.

I seriously question what goes through y'all little dudes heads sometimes....seriously.
smh.gif

You got it buddy.

I don't want to "lose"
laugh.gif

I seriously question what goes through y'all little dudes heads sometimes....seriously.
smh.gif

You got it buddy.

I don't want to "lose"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom