NASA scientist warns that California only has one year of water left.

copped the water purifying staw for emergencies
smokin.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/exclusive-william-shatners-30-billion-116672789084.html
“California’s in the midst of a 4-year-old drought,” he said. “They tell us there’s a year’s supply of water left. If it doesn’t rain next year, what do 20 million people in the breadbasket of the world do? In a place that’s the fifth-largest GDP — if California were a country, it’d be fifth in line — we’re about to be arid! What do you do about it?”

Here’s the plan: 

“So I’m starting a Kickstarter campaign. I want $30 billion … to build a pipeline like the Alaska pipeline. Say, from Seattle — a place where there’s a lot of water. There’s too much water. How bad would it be to get a large, 4-foot pipeline, keep it aboveground — because if it leaks, you’re irrigating!”

And where would this water pipeline go?

“Bring it down here and fill one of our lakes! Lake Mead!”

I was a little skeptical. It didn’t sound doable. The political hassles, the fights with local towns, the environmental impact…

“No, it’s simple,” Shatner replied. “They did it in Alaska — why can’t they do it along Highway 5? This whole area’s about to go under!”

Shatner conceded that even if he’s not able to raise the money, the effort will at least raise consciousness about the severity of California’s drought.

“If I don’t make 30 billion, I’ll give the money to a politician who says, ‘I’ll build it.’ Obviously, it’s to raise awareness that something more than just closing your tap … so why not a pipeline?”

Bucking bronco has me rolling over here. Hahaha...

Question about desalination...

Wouldn't the increase in technology allows for cheaper results?

I mean... Computers used to cost 5k ...

Is it wrong to think that initial high costs will push an inventor or scientist to try and fund a cheaper way because he's just tired of paying so much?

I mean... That's how stuff normally gets invented

the solution is for people to adapt to having less of a vital resource.

there's no tech solution to this

cloud seeding? studies have shown very weak results

de sal? too expensive, it cost 2-2.5X what the current price of water is, uses a ton of electricity, plus there's a lot of politics involved., it's not a bad thing to have, it's just not a silver bullet.
Ocean water desalination doesn’t pencil out. It’s far too expensive to produce potable water from seawater — about $2,000 an acre foot, compared to about $1,000 an acre foot for imported water. It requires a tremendous amount of energy to purify saltwater. And there are potentially serious environmental impacts from sucking in millions of gallons of ocean water and pumping the leftover brine back into the ocean.

That’s why Long Beach shelved plans for a desalination project with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. It’s a lot cheaper to conserve water or recycle it.

In fact, Orange County has a model water recycling operation down the road in Fountain Valley, where sewage water is purified in a treatment plant and then pumped to large ponds to percolate into the groundwater supply. This costs about $900 an acre foot and uses one-third the amount of electricity of a desalination plant, according to the Orange County Water District. And it reuses wastewater rather than sticking a straw in the ocean.

Climate change will affect the reliability of California’s water supply. Utilities throughout the state should be thinking about how to use less water imported from Northern California and the Colorado River, and developing “homegrown” water through recycling and conservation. Desalination should be a last resort.

decades of having lush green lawns, that's not sustainable when we live in a dry desert :lol:

that's why there's going to be fines for excessive water use soon, folks just need to adapt to using less in order for CA to survive.

Last edited:
de sal? too expensive, it cost 2-2.5X what the current price of water is, uses a ton of electricity, plus there's a lot of politics involved., it's not a bad thing to have, it's just not a silver bullet.
Ocean water desalination doesn’t pencil out. It’s far too expensive to produce potable water from seawater — about $2,000 an acre foot, compared to about $1,000 an acre foot for imported water. It requires a tremendous amount of energy to purify saltwater. And there are potentially serious environmental impacts from sucking in millions of gallons of ocean water and pumping the leftover brine back into the ocean.

That’s why Long Beach shelved plans for a desalination project with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. It’s a lot cheaper to conserve water or recycle it.

In fact, Orange County has a model water recycling operation down the road in Fountain Valley, where sewage water is purified in a treatment plant and then pumped to large ponds to percolate into the groundwater supply. This costs about $900 an acre foot and uses one-third the amount of electricity of a desalination plant, according to the Orange County Water District. And it reuses wastewater rather than sticking a straw in the ocean.

Climate change will affect the reliability of California’s water supply. Utilities throughout the state should be thinking about how to use less water imported from Northern California and the Colorado River, and developing “homegrown” water through recycling and conservation. Desalination should be a last resort.
decades of having lush green lawns, that's not sustainable when we live in a dry desert
laugh.gif

that's why there's going to be fines for excessive water use soon, folks just need to adapt to using less in order for CA to survive.
Desalinization isn't 2-3x the price of current water, it's 2-3x the cost of importing water. It's more like 10x the price of water we get now. So if you have a $30 bill, Your current bill would jump to $300 with desalinated water

When people in Cali inevitably abuse their water privileges anyways:

latest

Last edited:
Desalinization isn't 2-3x the price of current water, it's 2-3x the cost of importing water. It's more like 10x the price of water we get now. So if you have a $30 bill, Your current bill would jump to $300 with desalinated water

i've heard experts talk about it, never heard 10X the price. but it doesn't matter how much X the cost/price is, it's not really a solution to the problem.

the santa Barbara facility will probably come back online in ~1 year, out of necessity.

Last edited:

decades of having lush green lawns, that's not sustainable when we live in a dry desert :lol:

CRC what's up mane!

i dont wanna see anymore green grass in my state

if we dont water grass we will save so much water.

i dont care if the senate bilding has yellow lawns as long as water is saved.

grass is such a waste of water its ridiculous

you would hate my lawn. my lawn in the front yard and backyard is as green as money. My car is clean as it came out of the dealership. 

like i said before , water will never ever run out of california . i Live in san francisco and i can tell you locals are not too worried  . people are more worried about the earthquake to be honest.. 

you would hate my lawn. my lawn in the front yard and backyard is as green as money. My car is clean as it came out of the dealership. 
like i said before , water will never ever run out of california . i Live in san francisco and i can tell you locals are not too worried  . people are more worried about the earthquake to be honest.. 

lolwut

I need to see pics

lolwut

:rofl: dude makes no sense

It seems like cutting back on agriculture would be our best option right now.

I don't really care if the price of almonds or avocados triple.

Back
Top Bottom