NBA hopes to speed up games vol. Word? really now?

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- The NBA has a message for players and officials: Be ready to start when a timeout is over.

The league's scoreboard operators have been told to sound warning horns during breaks in the action in an effort to cut down on the length of games. According to a courtside memo Tuesday night at the Detroit Pistonshttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/pistons' game against the Houston Rockets, games have been taking longer, "largely due to prolonged delays after breaks."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed to The Associated Press that the new protocol went into effect Tuesday night.

Memos outlined new procedures for locally telecast games, including warning horns to be sounded shortly before the ends of timeouts and breaks between periods.

Those warning horns are to be followed by final horns ending those breaks, and referees are directed to make sure huddles break promptly.

"We communicated to teams that the first horn was a warning that the TO was to end and that they should be on their way to resume by the second," Frank said in an e-mail.

Detroit's 108-100 loss to Houston ended in 2 hours, 4 minutes -- the Pistons' fastest home game of the season.

Elsewhere, Indiana's game at Washington ended in 2:21.

"I'm a rookie coach, and I need to get my guys out of the huddle faster," Indiana's Frank Vogel said.

Charlotte's home game against Toronto was over in 2:12, and players said the change wasn't a big deal.

"I didn't notice it. I really didn't even know about it," Toronto guard  Jerryd Bayless said. "I'm not really worried about the horn too much, I'm worried about what (coach) Jay (Triano) and everybody else is saying. I don't know, I didn't hear it."

laugh.gif

just thought i share

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- The NBA has a message for players and officials: Be ready to start when a timeout is over.

The league's scoreboard operators have been told to sound warning horns during breaks in the action in an effort to cut down on the length of games. According to a courtside memo Tuesday night at the Detroit Pistonshttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/teams/pistons' game against the Houston Rockets, games have been taking longer, "largely due to prolonged delays after breaks."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed to The Associated Press that the new protocol went into effect Tuesday night.

Memos outlined new procedures for locally telecast games, including warning horns to be sounded shortly before the ends of timeouts and breaks between periods.

Those warning horns are to be followed by final horns ending those breaks, and referees are directed to make sure huddles break promptly.

"We communicated to teams that the first horn was a warning that the TO was to end and that they should be on their way to resume by the second," Frank said in an e-mail.

Detroit's 108-100 loss to Houston ended in 2 hours, 4 minutes -- the Pistons' fastest home game of the season.

Elsewhere, Indiana's game at Washington ended in 2:21.

"I'm a rookie coach, and I need to get my guys out of the huddle faster," Indiana's Frank Vogel said.

Charlotte's home game against Toronto was over in 2:12, and players said the change wasn't a big deal.

"I didn't notice it. I really didn't even know about it," Toronto guard  Jerryd Bayless said. "I'm not really worried about the horn too much, I'm worried about what (coach) Jay (Triano) and everybody else is saying. I don't know, I didn't hear it."

laugh.gif

just thought i share

indifferent.gif
 This issue is all the stupid foul calls, not the few extra seconds from breaking after timeouts.

indifferent.gif
 This issue is all the stupid foul calls, not the few extra seconds from breaking after timeouts.

I have no problem with this. It's definitely needed in college basketball, seems like they have like 30 TV timeouts during the final minutes of a game

I have no problem with this. It's definitely needed in college basketball, seems like they have like 30 TV timeouts during the final minutes of a game

Originally Posted by trunks206

indifferent.gif

Yeh but you know it would be too much like right to correct it. Instead, just focus on something else.

Originally Posted by trunks206

indifferent.gif

Yeh but you know it would be too much like right to correct it. Instead, just focus on something else.

I like it as a fan, but it's a bad business decision in terms of maximizing advertising revenue. I guess the NBA gets a predetermined amount in the TV contracts they sign with networks (ESPN/ABC and TNT paid a combined $930M per year for broadcast rights). If I was a TV exec, I'd be heated if I was paying for programming that's supposed to last 2 hr 30 min and the NBA was only providing 2 hr 10 min.

I like it as a fan, but it's a bad business decision in terms of maximizing advertising revenue. I guess the NBA gets a predetermined amount in the TV contracts they sign with networks (ESPN/ABC and TNT paid a combined $930M per year for broadcast rights). If I was a TV exec, I'd be heated if I was paying for programming that's supposed to last 2 hr 30 min and the NBA was only providing 2 hr 10 min.

I think they need to stop calling those ticky tack fouls around the perimeter.

That will speed up the game more.

I think they need to stop calling those ticky tack fouls around the perimeter.

That will speed up the game more.

tell the players to walk from the time out faster, rather than having less tv timeouts. makes sense. NBA just wants the money.

tell the players to walk from the time out faster, rather than having less tv timeouts. makes sense. NBA just wants the money.

stop giving out tech foul call and touch fouls and let the game flow would at least cut 30 min of the game !!!

stop giving out tech foul call and touch fouls and let the game flow would at least cut 30 min of the game !!!

Back
Top Bottom