NBA MVP Discussion...

i dont understand why lebron gets considered in mvp talks. I know he's putting up GREAT numbers. But look at his team's record. I'm no kobe fan,but if lebron becomes the mvp this season, then kobe should have gotten his trophy back in the season where he was averaging 35 pts a night.

My prediciton is:

Come playoff time, there's going to be a "CP3 got Robbed Thread."

If the Lakers finish within' the top 2, Kobe got it on lock. And if he doesn't get MVP, oh well. All I care about is the Larry O'Brien trophy yadig?
tongue.gif

jbone2308 wrote:
Xtapolapacetl wrote:
Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

LeBron is having the best all-round season for a SG/SF type of player since MJ in 88. The season he's having is just unreal, but the haters have somehow made it look as if the better numbers he puts up, the worse he is. The Cavs record isn't bad as it is, but the fact that they are 0-7 without LeBron. And this is not like the Lakers in the recent years. The Lakers NEVER had a record that was remotely as bad as 0-7 without Kobe in the post-Shaq pre-Bynum/Gasol days.

Chris Paul would be my second choice. The guy is playing the same position as Steve Nash, but is putting up better numbers than Nash in his two MVP seasons and plays better D. All the while he's playing on a team with the best record in their conference.

1. LeBron
2. Chris Paul
3. Kobe
4. Dwight

CP3 SHOULD win the MVP award if it was given out today. But this is the first year he has KILLED. So he WOULD NOT get it. You know with awards in pro sports it is about "turns." - CP3 will have MANY "turns"
This is just so dumb.. When Steve Nash won his first MVP in Phoenix, who would've said that it was his "turn" to win it? There were certainly many players who had better careers up to that point and who didn't win MVP before who could've won it: Jason Kidd, Kobe, McGrady.. But Nash still won it out of nowhere.. Noone in their right mind would've even imagined that Steve Nash would end as the regular season MVP when the 04-05 season started.
Of course the Lakers weren't 0 and 7 without Kobe, he didn't sit for a week with a sprained finger on his non shooting hand. In fact, dude is ballin right now with a torn ligament, and still teaching fools how to play the game, or end up on a poster. But since all you do is slurp Bron, you'll never see that.

�Typical Kobe extremist response. He did sit out because of other reasons and the Lakers were 3-2 without him last year and had a 4-0 start without him a couple of years ago. Teaching fools how to play the game, huh? You mean like this?

��

The fact that LeBron is averaging 2 more points AND 2 more rebounds AND 2 more assists per game than Kobe right now is invisible to the Kobe extremist. I am convinced that if LeBron averaged 4 more points, 4 more rebounds and 4 more assists per game, the Kobe extremists would still give the benefit of the doubt to Kobe as being the better player and say something lame like LeBron only cares about stats and mention their record. Nevermind the fact that Kobe is benefitting from having much better teammates, getting extremely one-sided trades arranged for his team and having a top 2 coach in league history to guide his team.

LeBron's only sin is that he didn't have Jerry West as his personal homer to arrange a Pau Gasol for Ira Newble trade.

You call us extremist?��But everything you do for Lebron is what�ticks you off about Kobe fans.� You are so hypocritical.

To�Xtapolapacetl:� You're just as bad as the people you hate.

You're the Lebron version of a "Kobe extremist"

not a prediction, theres too much season left for that.

but right now:

Chris Paul.

Even the optimists saw this team as an 8 seed and look where they are, right on top of the heap in a loaded western conference.

Paul's stat line is fantastic and he's obviously the driving force behind this teams success.

Everyone in this thread has said either Kobe or CP3 except for Xtapolapacetl.

Surprise, surprise.

�Typical Kobe extremist response. He did sit out because of other reasons and the Lakers were 3-2 without him last year and had a 4-0 start without him a couple of years ago. Teaching fools how to play the game, huh? You mean like this?

��

The fact that LeBron is averaging 2 more points AND 2 more rebounds AND 2 more assists per game than Kobe right now is invisible to the Kobe extremist. I am convinced that if LeBron averaged 4 more points, 4 more rebounds and 4 more assists per game, the Kobe extremists would still give the benefit of the doubt to Kobe as being the better player and say something lame like LeBron only cares about stats and mention their record. Nevermind the fact that Kobe is benefitting from having much better teammates, getting extremely one-sided trades arranged for his team and having a top 2 coach in league history to guide his team.
I think you forget about two years ago when the Kobe was averaging like 35,5,5 and the Lakers had the 9th best record in the league. I dont knowif you realize, but Kobe finished about 5th that year in MVP voting. This year Lebron is averaging 30, 8, 8 which is pretty damn comparable to Kobe's 35,5, 5. This year the Cavs have the 13th best record in the NBA. Why exactly is LeBron the MVP again. He isnt doing anything that Kobe didn't do two yearsago or Tmac and 02-03. When voting for MVP its all about records and frankly, the Cavs wouldnt make the playoffs in the West.

LeBron's only sin is that he didn't have Jerry West as his personal homer to arrange a Pau Gasol for Ira Newble trade.
Jerry West is still GM for Memphis??????? The fact that YOU are calling ANYONE an extremist is laughable at best.

This year the MVP will probably be CP3 or Kobe just because no one expected their teams to do this well this season. I think Garnett is slowly fading out ofthe picture

Nash didn't have any eye popping stats either (19 and 10 rebounds is just as relevant as 15 and 11) and he also had 2 other All Stars as well. So that argument is a litttle flawed.
Let me rephrase. Nash did not have eye popping stats but what he did have going for him was that he led the NBA in assists both years by prettywide margins.... that helped his resume. Garnett (while obviously still in the MVP discussion Im not denying that) this season does not have that"wow" stat. No biggie, i was just throwin that in.

2004-05
1. Nash 11.5
2. Knight 9.0
3. Kidd 8.3

2005-06
1. Nash 10.5
2. Davis 8.9
3. Knight 8.8

I honestly believe that Kobe got Gasol, just because West did him a favor. I agree about the argument about winning records, but i said if it was based uponhow important that player meant to their team respectively, then Lebron should win it. Because most years when it comes down to it, all the experts andcommentators say it comes down to how important they are to their team. Now if it based on records, then yes, Kobe or CP3 should win it. But i believe CP3playing like he is right now, is higher up there than kobe...Just the assist to turnover ratio is crazy. On a given night kobe can turn the ball over 7+ timesand has. You triple his assists with a fraction of the turnovers? I know that's his position, but how many PG do that? It will be interesting now withBonzi on the team...We'll see if the cavs get bron some help and help him bring home the MVP trophy

Originally Posted by SINcereOne03

I honestly believe that Kobe got Gasol, just because West did him a favor.
I don't know where this rumor came from.
West is no longer the GM for the Griz.

SINcereOne03 wrote:
I honestly believe that Kobe got Gasol, just because West did him a favor.
god I swear people don't know what the hell they are talking about:

[h1]Jerry West Leaving As Grizzlies Exec[/h1]

[h2]Jerry West Will Leave As Memphis Grizzlies' Director of Basketball Operations July 1[/h2]

137dbcbb-cb59-4aad-a391-a2119e3d83dd_ms.jpeg

The Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. Apr 17,2007

Jerry West will leave as the Memphis Grizzlies' director of basketball operations July 1, saying he's "not a youngster" and weary of the turmoil surrounding the team.

West, one of the NBA's great players and executives with the Los Angeles Lakers, will end a five-year stint with the former expansion franchise

West, who turns 69 in May, had been under contract only through this season and said Tuesday many factors played into his decision.

"I'm not a youngster anymore," said West, who disclosed his plans during an end-of-season meeting with reporters.

"I think the wear and tear of the season, particularly like this (has been tough). There's been a lot of turmoil here. The ownership thing have made it very difficult to concentrate on what we need to do here to improve our basketball team."

He did not indicate any immediate jobs he was considering in the NBA.

The Grizzlies (21-60) have the worst record in the league and their troubles on the court have been compounded by the possible sale of the club. West fired Mike Fratello in December and hired Tony Barone as an interim coach.

The long-speculated announcement of West's departure came a day after majority owner Michael Heisley said he would abandon his yearlong pursuit of selling the franchise if he does not have a viable offer by May 1.

"I think (Heisley) pretty much said it (Monday) night when he said he wanted me to put in place a future management team," West said.

West added he had told the owner: "I thought it was very important that we have a new voice here."

He will advise the team through the draft and the hiring of a new coach. Barone was given the job on an interim basis after the firing of Fratello. He said he believes two people should be hired to take over his duties a general manager and a vice president of basketball operations.

West, whose silhouette from his playing days is featured on the NBA logo, won eight NBA titles as either a player, executive or consultant with the Lakers.

Originally Posted by kobefan88

��

I think you forget about two years ago when the Kobe was averaging like 35,5,5 and the Lakers had the 9th best record in the league. I dont know if you realize, but Kobe finished about 5th that year in MVP voting. This year Lebron is averaging 30, 8, 8 which is pretty damn comparable to Kobe's 35, 5, 5. This year the Cavs have the 13th best record in the NBA. Why exactly is LeBron the MVP again.

Exactly. Too many people think best stat line equals MVP. Lebron shouldn't even be in MVP talk, but we all know he'll get included because he's"the Future of the NBA", which is sad because if the NBA is full of people who sit out because of a bum finger i can see players taking the year offbecause of a rolled ankle. Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups, Dwight Howard, Antawn Jamison should all get a MVP nod before James is even included in MVP talk.I think it will come down to CP and Kobe, and whoever is higher ranked in the west will get MVP, but it's really to early to even be talking about the MVP.

If the Hornets finish with a better record than the Lakers or at the top of the West, Chris Paul should win it without any question.

If the Lakers finish above the Hornets, or win the West, Kobe should win it.

Its between Kobe, Chris Paul and LeBron. Lets not forget, Kobe led the Lakers to a pretty good record without Pau Gasol but Kwame Brown in the startingline-up. Plus stat wise he is having a very good season, maybe not as good as the last few years but still dominating.

Back
Top Bottom