NBA Players - Breaking in Shoes

i've always wondered, how do NBA players keep playing in new shoes without hurting their feet? even with practices, warm-ups, training, etc. i usually find shoes more fit & comfortable after at least 3 wears... if not more. then you see Jordan, Kobe, etc swapping shoes for every game. do they got steel feet? 
indifferent.gif

sorry for a noob question..

i dont remember which player i saw bu he folds the shoes before the game..what i mean is, he folds the part where the usual creasing happens..

I bet you each of their shoes are made with far better quality than those mass produced for us consumers.

A lot of players have them molded for them, especially the players you listed.

Other players break them in in practice, pre game individual work outs, & warm ups. Mixed in with "folding" their shoes.

it really depends on the player.

for instance, hedo turkoglu apparently wore this same pair for almost 2 seasons. not the same model, the actual pair.

turkloglu1.jpg

but another thing you can take into account is an NBA court is a lot better-maintained than the slippery courts we play on.

That makes me think of Turner, he couldnt have wore more than 3 pairs of these all season. You can see the black is rubbing off on the toe and also he didnt make the switch to the 7 when the rest of OSU did.

maybe they practice in them or shoot around to break them in? One or two decent sessions could break in 5-6 pairs of shoes, enough for 4 months

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

I bet you each of their shoes are made with far better quality than those mass produced for us consumers.

people need to stop thinking like that, all shoes made the same. players always wear special insoles.

NBA players shoes are made with batter quality, and padding than the one released to the public

Originally Posted by 255forLife

it really depends on the player.

for instance, hedo turkoglu apparently wore this same pair for almost 2 seasons. not the same model, the actual pair.

turkloglu1.jpg

but another thing you can take into account is an NBA court is a lot better-maintained than the slippery courts we play on.
wow, interesting.

funny im reading this question, I was just thinking about this the other day. Interesting stuff.

funny im reading this question, I was just thinking about this the other day. Interesting stuff.

Originally Posted by jmathis

NBA players shoes are made with batter quality, and padding than the one released to the public

are you in the NBA? how would you know that...

Originally Posted by airJOBO

i dont remember which player i saw bu he folds the shoes before the game..what i mean is, he folds the part where the usual creasing happens..

kobe bryant is doing this... saw a clip in a locker room he is bending the shoe i think it was last year at the finals

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

it only makes sense.

Originally Posted by 255forLife

doesn't that mean their shoes wear out faster?

Originally Posted by bananaman

kobe bryant is doing this... saw a clip in a locker room he is bending the shoe i think it was last year at the finals
got a link to that video?

Originally Posted by theblotted

Originally Posted by bananaman

got a link to that video?
i think it was last year during the all star game. 

I remember way back in the day this was an issue that Tinker spoke of about the Jordans, because he(MJ) chose to wear a new pair every game.  This is why there is such importance in using synthetic materials (lighter, shorter "adjustment period", less warping) vs. leather (which takes time to break in and also stretch out of shape {this also seems to be a reason why Jordans used firmer patent in the xi and lace straps/support/extra stitching in those and subsequent models such as the xii, xiii, xiv, etc which still sported genuine leather. ), and also the use of cushioning tech (like zoom air, which stays pretty much the same during the lifespan of the shoe) vs. the old EVA ( which starts out firmer, and really decompresses over time, which causes an inconsistent feel and cushioning).  It seems that's also a reason why some makers choose to use the firmer and more resilient polyurethane midsole.  The insole isn't typically an issue because they are very thin, and made of (usually) some sort of recycled material, which is a virtual non-factor for elite athletes 200+ pounds.

Back
Top Bottom