NBA Question: If the league contracts a team, what happens to its players?

How are the players dispersed?  Who gets dibs on its best player(s)?  I followed the NBA when it expanded but never seen a contraction.  Anyone know?

How are the players dispersed?  Who gets dibs on its best player(s)?  I followed the NBA when it expanded but never seen a contraction.  Anyone know?

Dispersal draft...picks are 1-30 based on reverse order of the past season's team records.

Dispersal draft...picks are 1-30 based on reverse order of the past season's team records.

Equal chance lottery for each player to go to a different team?
Originally Posted by YEEUPP

They'll ship the Superstar (If any) to the New York Knicks
This first though.

Equal chance lottery for each player to go to a different team?
Originally Posted by YEEUPP

They'll ship the Superstar (If any) to the New York Knicks
This first though.

Hmmm didn't the WNBA do something like this. I wouldn't know, where is SKA?
nerd.gif

Hmmm didn't the WNBA do something like this. I wouldn't know, where is SKA?
nerd.gif

Funny that this is being brought up after a couple NBA owners said that they wouldn't mind contracting the Hornets

Funny that this is being brought up after a couple NBA owners said that they wouldn't mind contracting the Hornets

they have a draft lottery for the dispersment order and the cavs trade their dispersment pick to the lakers for luke walton and a 2nd round pick which they end up getting the number 1 pick for handing the lakers chris paul.

of course that would never happen, but something kinda like that did where the lakers won the title in 82 and had the number 1 pick that draft as well due to cleveland making a stupid trade along the lines of what i suggested here.

they have a draft lottery for the dispersment order and the cavs trade their dispersment pick to the lakers for luke walton and a 2nd round pick which they end up getting the number 1 pick for handing the lakers chris paul.

of course that would never happen, but something kinda like that did where the lakers won the title in 82 and had the number 1 pick that draft as well due to cleveland making a stupid trade along the lines of what i suggested here.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Reminds me of the Bobcats stealing Gerald Wallace from the Kings.
Nah Kings had no choice. They could only protect up to 8 player and had to put one player that was either a RFA (we had none) or under contract on the unprotected list; Webb, Bibby, Peja, Vlade, Miller, Christie, Bobby, and Wallace. So not really sure who you would leave unprotected out of those 8 players we had under contract
nerd.gif
I think I would have risked Vlade or Christie since I doubt they would have been taken, but Petrie/Maloofs didn't have the balls to unprotect a rotation player.

Nah Kings had no choice. They could only protect up to 8 player and had to put one player that was either a RFA (we had none) or under contract on the unprotected list; Webb, Bibby, Peja, Vlade, Miller, Christie, Bobby, and Wallace. So not really sure who you would leave unprotected out of those 8 players we had under contract
nerd.gif
I think I would have risked Vlade or Christie since I doubt they would have been taken, but Petrie/Maloofs didn't have the balls to unprotect a rotation player.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

nerd.gif
Yeah, I know they had no choice. They should have put Webber on that list looking back.
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom