NBA should do something to improve the Slam Dunk contest...

players will get injured with that crazy stuff you are talking about. knockout and 21? someones gona bust their ++$

swygsp.jpg

Next year it needs to be 6-8 players and they need to select the very best dunkers out there. JRich, Vince and Kobe might be old - but they'd at least be able to do what was done tonight, probably more. This year was a joke.
Lebron James

Dwayne Wade

Kevin Durant

Dwight Howard

Vince Carter

Jason Richardson

Kobe Bryant

& for the 8th spot either Nate Robinson or select the winner from the NBDL Dunk contest compete or a rookie.

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Just open it up so anyone can enter. I think most NBA players realize that some of the best dunkers in the world don't actually play in the NBA. I'd rather watch some no-name do crazy dunks instead of a B-list NBA star do average dunks

To be fair, it's NBA All-Star Weekend.  The WNBA is the farthest they'll really reach out for their main Saturday Night stage.  Even the D-League gets no love, except for a mention of their little booth somewhere.  Although I would like to see guys like Air Up There and TFB guys in there, I doubt it will happen anytime soon... unless the NBA gets desperate.

Solutions to the Dunk Contest?
1. NO FAN VOTING.  It's the only reason why Nate won the last two years.  If fans get to vote, they're picking who they are familiar with.  How many of the voters do you think know who DeMar was, compared to Nate?
2. The Dunk-In idea was actually good, imo.  A rookie vs. a soph at halftime of the rook/soph game.
3. However, if we're going to have a dunk-in, might as well have 6 or 8 dunkers instead of 4.
4. Up the cash prizes for more incentive to win.
5. Bring back the boneheads who had chances to win in the past, but didn't really pull through.  Josh Smith, JR Smith, Chris Andersen, Rudy Gay, etc.
6. No more Nate.

Man, i should have went to the movies.

I say they have the

D league champ
Internet champ (dunkers submit a vid, we vote who did the best, and they become a participant)
2 nba players.

Originally Posted by Durden7

The problem is nothing is impressive anymore.  Weve seen everything that can be done.  Weve reached the human limit.

I disagree. These are professionals who play basketball for a living and make a lot of money. They can be creative and think of something outside of the box.

The thing that pissed me off was that these guys were doing everyday dunks that you see in a game. Even the "more complex" ones that they missed were not that great. The tickets for those events resold for $300 to $500. I would have been pissed if I paid that much for that BS contest.

Open up the field to D-League players as well as NBA guys, maybe some competition from the D-League will help. Bring in 2-4 more contestants and let people who actually want to dunk do it.

There's really not much they can do besides that. Any other gimmicks or tricks won't change the quality of dunks and the competition.

The other events have never been that interesting but there's no real reason to get rid of them.

More dunkers, more creative and interesting dunkers, and just hope people step it up. The NBA can't do much, it's all on the players.

Hot basura plus tax. I sorta agree with the human limit though. The contest needs athletic dunkers. There is no room for normal folk. These foolios think cause they can hammer a dunk in traffic that they're fit for a dunk contest. Pfft. Word to birdman. Plus they need more pratice. Its annoying to see them miss 95% of the time first try. Takes out the wow factor. Thing will die unless the big boys come up. Or make a dunk only horse game to switch it up.

After looking at the D-league dunk contest thread, I think they should keep the 4 league players then add 1 player from the d-league and even 1 streetball and/or internet phenom.

I think that could work.

Heres what I have in mind.

Axe Haier shooting stars and bring back Roundball

Skills competition is too eh for me, its already getting boring they should make new obstacles every year.

3 point contest should be head to head, not one at a time. Also if they do this change the participants to 16. Starts with 16, 8, 4 then ends with the last 2.

They definitely have to change up the dunk contest a lot, like someone else said TFB definitely spoiled me and most dunks don't wow me as much because of TFB.

Maybe let in 1 amateur, D league dunk champion & 2 of the NBA best dunkers.

1. Add more people (I think in 2000 it was like 6 but felt like 20)

2. Stop the gimmick crap (don't have the people vote on the winner)

3. Stop with the mandatory crap.. Let people use props or have a teammate help if they want

4. Let anyone do it

5. Put Reggie Miller on mute

this whole damn All Star Weekend sucks.. The Rookie/Sophomore game was ruined by those damn kids.. Never liked the skills comp... The 3pt hasnt been fun since Ray Allen played for the bucks. The shot thing with the 3 people per city is only fun when someone is really bad.. The All Star Game is missing some of the best people... Horse is going to be the highlight LOL..

They should do king of the court and have a raffle choosing 25 random nba players
pimp.gif

Keep H.O.R.S.E
Keep 3point shootout
No More Dunk Contest......Idk about adding a trampoline cause of chances of injury

They need to do something with the Horse competition, like the boring shots these players were doing, might as well have some retired all-stars participate as well because all they were doing were jump shots. This is a competition that can be fair to the younger and the older retired players because it mostly requires skill

Include D League players and street ballers - hungry dudes who are hungry for some recognition.

I think select players from the D League should be included in All Star Weekend in general.

Make more risky.

I say, for the dunk contest. every nba player has to be measure for their veritical. If you have a 15'+ vertical, you are obligated to be placed in a raffle.

8 Players are pulled from this raffle. Loser, lose their contract, team, jersey, and banned from the NBA for 2 years.

I bet this would make players either dunk their lifes out, or, lose their vertical instantly.

If not, anyone with a vertical over 2 inchs, and than place trampolines with lava flowing beneath them. So if you do an in game dunk, the trampolines implodes on its self and you fall into lava.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Make more risky.

I say, for the dunk contest. every nba player has to be measure for their veritical. If you have a 15'+ vertical, you are obligated to be placed in a raffle.

8 Players are pulled from this raffle. Loser, lose their contract, team, jersey, and banned from the NBA for 2 years.

I bet this would make players either dunk their lifes out, or, lose their vertical instantly.

If not, anyone with a vertical over 2 inchs, and than place trampolines with lava flowing beneath them. So if you do an in game dunk, the trampolines implodes on its self and you fall into lava.

What??? son you must be living up to your name.  Do you know anything about vertical jumping and how to measure it?

Originally Posted by poblack

Originally Posted by Durden7

The problem is nothing is impressive anymore.  Weve seen everything that can be done.  Weve reached the human limit.

I disagree. These are professionals who play basketball for a living and make a lot of money. They can be creative and think of something outside of the box.

So because they make a lot of money means they are supposed to be more creative?

Wow.

and btw, Nate said he will retire from the dunk contest now..so stop complaining about him coming back.

paraphrasing his words:

"it's unbearable, I can't do it anymore. I'm just happy with my third title"

Back
Top Bottom