Need a 3TB External Hard Drive......price? suggestions?

Anubody have any reviews on the seagate or WD? what should i be looking to spend price wise and what is a better hard drive? ive seen some that are USB powered and some AC powered is one better them the other?

both are good, thing is seagate is into that backing up your memory all the time in case your PC gets destroyed therefore the memory gets used by that little by little instead of whatever you actually want to put in.

WD is better for me honestly just open ended memory, plug it in and literally drag n drop all your shiii, organize it however you want. Seagate has this too for the most part but they think they cool so some seagates are password protected.

you should not pay more than $200 for 3TB, they get cheaper and cheaper everyday now. $160 is average any lower and its a steal

USB powered is what it says it is, you'll get a brick (the memory) with one USB cord, connect it to the PC and your good. AC powered hard drives are only used by the high powered drives like a 500GB or above cuz you have to plug them into an outlet which is a turnoff for some people (more wires!) and they make their own sounds like its a PC themselves, if you find a USB powered 1 TB either technology jumped ahead of me about 2 years or something is definetly fishy like its a terrible non brand

i dont know if your a big expert on this but if you do get a 3TB remember that it takes memory to hold memory, the box will say 3TB but the inner size are actually smaller like 2.75TB. that's a guess so dont go too crazy

hope that helps and they them on the ground

Last edited:
Anubody have any reviews on the seagate or WD? what should i be looking to spend price wise and what is a better hard drive? ive seen some that are USB powered and some AC powered is one better them the other?
WD is a better than brand than SG. Their drives are quieter and reliable. Amazon has the best reviews that I've come across. Check for the most helpful reviews. Like Mario said, make sure it's below $200. It depends one what you plan to use it for. If your HD is going to be in one spot, just get an ac powered hd. If you need to take your hd somewhere then get a usb powered one.

Here are a couple options:

Amazon product ASIN B0042Z55RM
Amazon product ASIN B0050I1P4C
edit: If you have a mac, you will get the full amount of storage. If you get a 3tb, you get 3tb of storage. As mario said, with a pc you won't get the exact amount of storage.

Last edited:
THANKS GUYS!.............I've seen a WD "passport" 3TB drive, but it's way more expensive, my other question would be is one more reliable? meaning the AC powered one of the USB powerd one (WD speaking)

THANKS GUYS!.............I've seen a WD "passport" 3TB drive, but it's way more expensive, my other question would be is one more reliable? meaning the AC powered one of the USB powerd one (WD speaking)
I think it would depend on the drive itself rather than how the drive gets its power to function. In any case, get a squaretrade warranty if you feel you need it.

On another note from amazon reviews and a buddy that had/has seagate drive seagates aren't as reliable as wd drives.

I have a Western Digital AC powered 3 TB, cost me about $160 which seems about the average. So far it has worked out just fine. And also like already said, it had about 2.76 TB of free space.

External Hard Drives

Seagate 3TB External Hard Drive - USB 2.0 - $109.99 w/ Free Shipping
Buy.com

Anyone familiar with hooking a hard drive to a router or using a wi-fi hard drive? The couple wi-fi seagate/WD drives I found have less than stellar reviews to say the least, if I can hook it to my router though that would be perfect.

Basically I wanna have a central hard drive in the house that we can save our files to without being directly plugged into it. Our router has a USB port so it's definitely doable I'd think, I'm not sure how that would work or if I'd be able to actually see the hard drive as a central server/drive to save stuff to like I wanna accomplish.

Any help?

Anyone familiar with hooking a hard drive to a router or using a wi-fi hard drive? The couple wi-fi seagate/WD drives I found have less than stellar reviews to say the least, if I can hook it to my router though that would be perfect.

Basically I wanna have a central hard drive in the house that we can save our files to without being directly plugged into it. Our router has a USB port so it's definitely doable I'd think, I'm not sure how that would work or if I'd be able to actually see the hard drive as a central server/drive to save stuff to like I wanna accomplish.

Any help?
Don't you have to hook it up via ethernet?

I know you said you checked a couple wd drives but were they the my book lives?

If not, check em out.

Here's an amazon link to network storage devices from the highest ratings to lowest ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i...rk+storage,n:172282&sort=reviewrank_authority

Back
Top Bottom