Need advice on shoes to hoop in as well as ankle supports!

Hey NTers!
So heres the deal, I've sprained my right ankle a bunch of times playing basketball. It has become very sensitive over the years, and I recently sprained it again due to a bad fall. I used to ball in the Kobe IV's and while I never really had issues with them, I feel that they lack the sufficient support that my ankle needs. 

What would you all recommend as shoes that are very supportive to the ankle, and what kind of brace (if any) should I invest in? I feel like I should avoid low cuts all together (kobes and KD's) but I'm not sure. What are some good options for me?

Hey,
I had the same problem, fractured both ankles. For a long time I kept playing with aircasts on both. It kept my ankles safe, but it came at the cost of speed and lateral movement. I'd say it reduced my game by about 20%. Anyway, been away from the game for a while doing bodybuilding. When I started playing again I tried the aircasts a couple times, but I felt my legs were strong and big enough to handle it without and they were. 

My advice to you is hit the gym do some squats, deadlifts and leg extensions.

You can try the lebron 9s, but if your ankle is sensitive you may find them uncomfortable with the padding digging in to your ankle

Ive had problems with both ankles for the last 8 years or so. Used to wear the ASO braces when I wasn't getting them taped by the team trainers back in high school and college. Recently switched to the adidas adizero speedwraps when i play, and love them. I feel like they provide a lot of support without restricting too much movement, and theres also a lot less material than the ASO braces which makes them fit a lot better in all my shoes.

As far as shoes with support, Im not too sure. Ive been wearing Kobes (IVs, V, & VI), Hyperfuses, and KD2s and havnt had any real problems, but Im always wearing braces for extra support.

ASO's myself but I'm old school and I havent had a chance to try the Adidas speedwraps.  I've heard great things about them though.  ASO's are tried and true.  

Pick up some 2010 Hyperdunks. Always been a favorite of NBA players, and keep the ankle secure.

Back
Top Bottom