Need Advice. Potential Craigslist Transaction concerning a Macbook

So I'm looking to upgrade from a 13" aluminum macbook to a 15" macbook pro. I'm searching craigslist for deals and come across a listing fora Brand NEW in box Macbook pro for only $1400. I read the description and it has the description for a Macbook Air so I called the number to see if that was anerror. A young lady picks up the phone and says they she used to have some Macbook Airs but don't have them anymore. All she has is the Macbook pro's(which I want). I asked her if they are the current ones or the ones that came out last year and she said they were the current ones and that she had 3 ofthem. Then she asked me how much I was willing to pay and if I was going to buy today. I told her like $1300 and she said she may be able to work with that.Keep in mind this girl doesn't seem like the type who worked at a store or owned some type of business. It was her cell phone that I called.

Should I be concerned that these Macbooks are stolen? I mean I know what the deal is and respect the hustle, but I'm at the point in my life where I'mnot f*ing with that BS anymore. Last time I did something like that, the cops were watching this chick that I bought something from and I got caught. All Iwant is a smooth legit transaction for a great deal on a new or used macbook. Are there any type of probing questions I can ask that will indicate that thecomputers are stolen?

Another concern is me walking around with that type of cash. It could be a set up. I was thinking about doing the deal at the mall. What do you think?

obviously go to a public place and actually use the mackbook and test it out and all that

large public place in the middle of the day with a couple people watching out for you. plenty of witnesses.

Originally Posted by Lrrr

of course they're stolen. why do you care though

Umm, I have a good job and a baby on the way. That's why I care. I'm not jeopardizing my livelihood for a stupid $1400 laptop.

Anyways, the chick calls me back just now wanting to know what's up (strike one IMO). So I'm like I don't have that type of cash on me right nowbecause the banks are closed, do you take paypal or credit cards. She says no ( Strike Two) and asked if I can deposit the money directly in her account.I'm feeling really skeptical right now, so I just flat out ask her how are you getting these computers. She said she doesn't actually have thecomputers. She is selling them for her cousin (strike three) who lives not far from her and that they both will meet me. I asked how her cousin got them, andall she said is that someone supplies him with the macbooks.

I decided not to do the deal. I just have a bad feeling.

You guys do know that if you get caught buying stolen goods, you go to jail even if you didn't know the goods were stolen in the first place.

Originally Posted by poblack

You guys do know that if you get caught buying stolen goods, you go to jail even if you didn't know the goods were stolen in the first place.
how are you gonna get caught?

I wouldn't have gone through with it either, too sketchy.

FYI, Apple.com has refurbished MBP's starting at $1350. They are pretty much brand new and come with the same exact warranty as a non-refurb'd item. Ihave a refurbished MBP (last years version) and I am very happy with my purchase. Also, Discover Card offers 5% cashback on apple.com purchases through theirrewards program.

if its stolen, just find a restoration macbook disk reset the whole cpu;

if you have problems with the hard drive, make friends with a apple genius, problem solved.

btw, there is a mac thread for this.

Back
Top Bottom