Netflix Mini-Series When They See Us

Yes just like real life, no?
Which is why I'm not looking to pile more on top of what I see around myself everyday. Only so much I can take of real life, let alone consuming more trauma by choice.

But again, to each his own. I just am much less inclined to check any of these movies/series out.

Dog, why you always so combative?:lol:

Yes, I support uplifting stuff, but that shouldn't nullify the point that it being made: Hollywood largely looks for these stories to tell before anything else. It gets tiring when all these movies, even the 'uplifting ones' lead off with some kid getting shot by a cop. It's become a trend and it's sickening at a certain point. I get that some of these stories are accurate, but there are also stories about young black kids that don't have to touch on the worst parts of it.

On top of that, I think all of these stories over and over about our trauma past and present do have an impact on the collective psyche of our community. I'm sick of the recycling of negative traumatic stories that we know like the back of our hand because we experience them everyday, to be consumed for the entertainment of the general public. That's not to say they should never tell these stories, some are definitely educational, I'm just side-eyeing how that seems to be the formula for black stories right now.

With that said, I'm not saying this miniseries or any entertainment shouldn't ever be made, but the way we're bombarded with these stories 7 times a year is trash.

There's nothing combative about what I said.

Do you realize how many black movies and shows come out. If you think these are the only types of movies that come out, you aren't supporting.

Just in the past couple of months, Little, Bolden, The Intruder, and Us came out.

So what's the formula for black movies when you see that?

I agree with this. There are many stories out there that would depict our people in an empowered light, but we don’t see those films being made. There’s a Hollywood budget in place for the downtrodden black films. At this point in my life, I’d rather see our people not being portrayed as victims. We’ve seen that some more times than I can remember.

I also recognize that I’m a bit biased on this one, though. I read up on the CP5 incident a few years back, so this story isn’t new to me. I can see the value in having the miniseries on a platform as big as Netflix, as it can spread the information to the masses. I won’t let the fact that I’ve been aware about the matter stop me from appreciating the interest the general public is going to have for this story. Awareness has to begin somewhere I suppose.

This is pretty much my stance on it. There needs to be a balance, but these stories have to be told, otherwise, they'll be buried and erased from history books like they've already been doing for years. Think about the stuff you learned in history growing up through textbooks, then think about the info you had to find out on your own cause it either wasn't addressed in the slightest, or addressed in a passing way.

After the major flop of GoT S8, it's good to see mini-series based on true stories (ie When They See Us and Chernobyl) come in and show that you don't need all the money in the world to create good art. The real world has enough evil people and monsters in it to tell a compelling enough story. Enough good people in the world to instill hope.

Watched it. Couldn’t get through the whole thing without feeling immensely frustrated by how the teenagers were treated. We all know it’s a show and it’s glamorized for TV, but just imagining what the kids went through in real life, man, it’s terrifying and traumatizing.

Linda deserves to have all the bad things to her and no one else BUT HER :smh:

Watched the first episode the other night. I read a book on them back in 2012-13 when there was a prior documentary on them. ****s messed up. They all got a raw deal, but Korey Wise got it real bad, he only went to the station to support Yusef and ended up doing the most time and on Rikers from the jump.

They got paid, but the damage is still there for them given the hell they went to. Antron McCray still hasn’t forgiven his father for him telling him to tell the cops what they wanted to hear.

Fairstein is a *****. Crazy thing is that she was trying to silence some of Weinstein’s accusers. She deserves what happened to the jogger to happen to her. Same with Lederrer. She got some heat back in 2012-13 when the first documentary came out by Columbia students. She taught there or was teaching there.

For the jogger. I feel bad that she got raped. She didn’t deserve that. But there was a recent report on her and it rubbed me the wrong way. Basically defending the cops and prosecutors and saying it was no way they did they stuff they did, she disagreed with the 5 getting that settlement and was insinuating more than 1 person attacked her. She came off the wrong way on that.

Watched the first 30 mins of episode 1 and knew this sh would get to me too much

Going have to watch another time when I'm ready to deal with the BS I know is coming

This is pretty much my stance on it. There needs to be a balance, but these stories have to be told, otherwise, they'll be buried and erased from history books like they've already been doing for years. Think about the stuff you learned in history growing up through textbooks, then think about the info you had to find out on your own cause it either wasn't addressed in the slightest, or addressed in a passing way.

and it also helps educate people about talking to the police and bringing up the discussion

besides bringing awareness to the criminal justice system like with this and Khalief Browder.

A lot of people are ignorant and live in a bubble to a lot of the things that are going on that we think are normal and accept. You were found guilty, so you're a criminal.

Will be finishing the 4th and final epi tonight. 1 & 2 were damn tough to get through :frown: .

Just wanted to touch on something outside of the story that I think was well done and added dimension and background to the film. The wardrobes, music and scenery were ON POINT in this.

Could really feel the transition in times, scored by the changing fashion, scenery, music, urban decay and later gentrification all throughout. It felt like you were feeling the time pass. And it felt like 80s, 90s, early 00s NYC.

Many times in urban set films (usually by white directors)....they take BIG shortcuts in these departments. It could be 1985 and they’d have Thug #1 in a pinwheel fitted and durag with a big white T shirt or some goofy ****. And some platinum era Neptune type generic rap beat blasting in the background. And the actors wouldn’t even try the accents of the place they’re portraying. No attention to that detail.

This felt like they really took the time to capture the settings and essence of that time. When the Puerto Rican cat came home, went to his block and saw the mid-late 90s decay....then copped the fubu, timbs and pager etc when he started hustling...scored by old Hov. Or hearing Umi Says by Most Def at the right moment. It all fit together nicely, and I thought it worked really well for the series.

Just wanted to touch on something outside of the story that I think was well done and added dimension and background to the film. The wardrobes, music and scenery were ON POINT in this.

Could really feel the transition in times, scored by the changing fashion, scenery, music, urban decay and later gentrification all throughout. It felt like you were feeling the time pass. And it felt like 80s, 90s, early 00s NYC.

Many times in urban set films (usually by white directors)....they take BIG shortcuts in these departments. It could be 1985 and they’d have Thug #1 in a pinwheel fitted and durag with a big white T shirt or some goofy ****. And some platinum era Neptune type generic rap beat blasting in the background. And the actors wouldn’t even try the accents of the place they’re portraying. No attention to that detail.

This felt like they really took the time to capture the settings and essence of that time. When the Puerto Rican cat came home, went to his block and saw the mid-late 90s decay....then copped the fubu, timbs and pager etc when he started hustling...scored by old Hov. Or hearing Umi Says by Most Def at the right moment. It all fit together nicely, and I thought it worked really well for the series.
What year was it when they fought over the DMX track though?

What year was it when they fought over the DMX track though?

Good question. It felt placed right. But I couldn’t tell around what year that was. Because they fought before meeting again, and sometime passed. And he got out in 02.

Umi Says was placed so perfectly, man.

All the music was great, really.

Hell yeah.

Def loved how Picture Me Rollin was the outro to the movie. Just hit right

Props to Ava, man. Like someone else said, you can tell that someone who genuinely KNOWS and CARES about the culture and the story made it. It being personal to her and all the actual dudes who went through all of that shined through. Made it hard to watch because it felt so true and authentic to every aspect. **** reminded me of my childhood.

Im struggling getting through this 4th episode, some of the most touching television I’ve seen...broke me down at least 3 times already...this dude Corey got out through the ringer man....

Back
Top Bottom