New Car Buying Tips? vol. no cherry M3

Bout to finally buy my first own car. Parents have been going to the dealer with me but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips to get a good deal.

I checked out this thread from the archives but it's 5 years old now, although I'm sure the principles still apply. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other tips.

I'm trying to buy a Honda Fit if that matters. Either that or a Hyundai Elantra Touring. Kinda sucks though cause the the Fits are out of stock a lot in my area from the Japanese disasters.

Tips appreciated thanks

Bout to finally buy my first own car. Parents have been going to the dealer with me but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips to get a good deal.

I checked out this thread from the archives but it's 5 years old now, although I'm sure the principles still apply. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other tips.

I'm trying to buy a Honda Fit if that matters. Either that or a Hyundai Elantra Touring. Kinda sucks though cause the the Fits are out of stock a lot in my area from the Japanese disasters.

Tips appreciated thanks

cash_briefcase.gif

Straight cash is hit or miss.  Dealers/Salesman get a kick back from finance companies so there is no real benefit for them to give you a deal.

I've heard if you are going to pay off the car outright to go through the financing/negotiation process and right about the time you will sign the loan documents, hit them with the: "You know, I think I prefer to pay the amount straight cash"
smokin.gif

Straight cash is hit or miss.  Dealers/Salesman get a kick back from finance companies so there is no real benefit for them to give you a deal.

I've heard if you are going to pay off the car outright to go through the financing/negotiation process and right about the time you will sign the loan documents, hit them with the: "You know, I think I prefer to pay the amount straight cash"
smokin.gif

Are you buying brand new? 

Are you buying cash?

Are you buying to actually keep the car?  Or will you change up in a couple years (2-3)?

Cause if you're buying to keep the car for a long term, and you're making monthly payments, it kinda doesn't make sense.  You'll never own any equity in that depreciating asset (the bank holds the equity which you hope to pay off in 5 years, when you might switch cars in 2-3 or maybe 4 years) so you might as well lease or at least buy a 2nd hand version with very low mileage and let some other fool take the knock on the original price

Are you buying cash?

Are you buying to actually keep the car?  Or will you change up in a couple years (2-3)?

Cause if you're buying to keep the car for a long term, and you're making monthly payments, it kinda doesn't make sense.  You'll never own any equity in that depreciating asset (the bank holds the equity which you hope to pay off in 5 years, when you might switch cars in 2-3 or maybe 4 years) so you might as well lease or at least buy a 2nd hand version with very low mileage and let some other fool take the knock on the original price

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Are you buying cash?

I see what you are saying. However I plan to keep the car for at least 4 years (I mean I'm single, I won't see any immediate need unless the car breaks down)...and for at least the Honda it really doesn't depreciate. Like buying a used one a couple years back  with 20,000 miles saves me maybe $1,000.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Are you buying cash?

I see what you are saying. However I plan to keep the car for at least 4 years (I mean I'm single, I won't see any immediate need unless the car breaks down)...and for at least the Honda it really doesn't depreciate. Like buying a used one a couple years back  with 20,000 miles saves me maybe $1,000.

i was lookin at cars earlier this year, ended up with the 2011 civic 0 miles over an 08 g37s (50kmiles) and a 08 acura TL (25kmiles) no regrets really. i say go with a civic, but if you want a fit, then go ahead. its a nice car but not for me

if youre buying directly form honda i think they might have 0.0 apr financing but i got the 0.9, payments lookin like 350 a month, i think i put 5k down.

i was lookin at cars earlier this year, ended up with the 2011 civic 0 miles over an 08 g37s (50kmiles) and a 08 acura TL (25kmiles) no regrets really. i say go with a civic, but if you want a fit, then go ahead. its a nice car but not for me

if youre buying directly form honda i think they might have 0.0 apr financing but i got the 0.9, payments lookin like 350 a month, i think i put 5k down.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

GET DA CHARGER!

i would agree since the new charger is nice and the V6 gets 18MPG but clearly he wants a Honda and im pretty sure it gets way better mileage.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

GET DA CHARGER!

i would agree since the new charger is nice and the V6 gets 18MPG but clearly he wants a Honda and im pretty sure it gets way better mileage.

Back
Top Bottom