New MBPs: "Ho hum upgrade" "Shoddy build quality"

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

^^^ NEgative, in the article you posted it says other wise. Quote from YOUR OWN link:

"But too much paste doesn't mean that the underlying processor will necessarily overheat and thus fail faster, cautioned Peddie."

Damn man, at least read what you're gonna post before hand....simpin it up lol
I skipped over that, but he's wrong. Excess paste defeats the purpose of using it
^^This is incorrect, for the most part. 

The paste, as a thermal conductor, conducts and dissipates heat better than air does.  The only case where too much thermal paste would be an issue is if it somehow completely obstructs airflow and the warmer air gets trapped inside the unit, but it would have to be so much that it is equivalent of blocking your air vents on your laptop.  But given the realistic circumstances of how things are done on the assembly line you should definately worry about too LITTLE thermal paste being applied in your laptops, not too much.  Of course thermal paste is only meant to be an interfacing material between the chip and a more conductive metal like aluminum or copper, but the performance difference in amount of application is usually academic.

If you open up any laptop- mac or pc, you'll see that a very liberal amount of thermal paste is applied to the chips, at least to the point that some of it spills over the side of your chip onto the board itself.  This is usually a manufacturing specification that pretty much assumes that 5% too little paste is more likely to cause failure than 20% too much.  And that would be correct.  If it is like CAKED on then you could probably question whether the people who are assembling the computers understand the purpose of what they are doing, which might be what the article is getting at, but even if its OD it shouldn't cause any problems.

I work in electronics manufacturing.

Don't get it twisted, you are paying about a 30-40% premium for the same hardware except with OSX when you buy a mac, but OSX can be that much better for you.  IMO the $2000 MBP build quality can be found in a $1300-1500 PC, but definately not the $400 you see in frys ads.

^^^ NEgative, in the article you posted it says other wise. Quote from YOUR OWN link:

"But too much paste doesn't mean that the underlying processor will necessarily overheat and thus fail faster, cautioned Peddie."

I skipped over that, but he's wrong. Excess paste defeats the purpose of using it
^^This is incorrect, for the most part. 

The paste, as a thermal conductor, conducts and dissipates heat better than air does.  The only case where too much thermal paste would be an issue is if it somehow completely obstructs airflow and the warmer air gets trapped inside the unit, but it would have to be so much that it is equivalent of blocking your air vents on your laptop.  But given the realistic circumstances of how things are done on the assembly line you should definately worry about too LITTLE thermal paste being applied in your laptops, not too much.  Of course thermal paste is only meant to be an interfacing material between the chip and a more conductive metal like aluminum or copper, but the performance difference in amount of application is usually academic.

If you open up any laptop- mac or pc, you'll see that a very liberal amount of thermal paste is applied to the chips, at least to the point that some of it spills over the side of your chip onto the board itself.  This is usually a manufacturing specification that pretty much assumes that 5% too little paste is more likely to cause failure than 20% too much.  And that would be correct.  If it is like CAKED on then you could probably question whether the people who are assembling the computers understand the purpose of what they are doing, which might be what the article is getting at, but even if its OD it shouldn't cause any problems.

I work in electronics manufacturing.

Don't get it twisted, you are paying about a 30-40% premium for the same hardware except with OSX when you buy a mac, but OSX can be that much better for you.  IMO the $2000 MBP build quality can be found in a $1300-1500 PC, but definately not the $400 you see in frys ads.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

You use an article on the basis that it has accurate info about the MBP, which you dislike. When it has information that doesn't go against the build of the MBP, you choose to ignore/refute it yourself? You should at least introduce new material which backs up your point, or else you just look like a biased fool.
Nah..i just skipped over that part
grin.gif

I did notice this, though

Holy thermal paste! Time will tell if the gobs of thermal paste applied to the CPU and GPU will cause overheating issues down the road.
Which proves what i've been saying.

Um only "TIme will tell" dude.....come on man let it go already, take a nap and refresh

Originally Posted by bruce negro

You use an article on the basis that it has accurate info about the MBP, which you dislike. When it has information that doesn't go against the build of the MBP, you choose to ignore/refute it yourself? You should at least introduce new material which backs up your point, or else you just look like a biased fool.
Nah..i just skipped over that part
grin.gif

I did notice this, though

Holy thermal paste! Time will tell if the gobs of thermal paste applied to the CPU and GPU will cause overheating issues down the road.
Which proves what i've been saying.

Um only "TIme will tell" dude.....come on man let it go already, take a nap and refresh

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by AG 47

Right.
laugh.gif
dudes cherry picking info to support their hatred. I'll never understand for the life of me why yall care so much about what the next person buys.

Exactly what I always think. This and the phone wars thing is so dumb.

And what PC laptop has a top build to it? I think all PCs are made just as bad.
Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba???

Right.
laugh.gif
dudes cherry picking info to support their hatred. I'll never understand for the life of me why yall care so much about what the next person buys.

Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba???

AG 47 said:

Right.
laugh.gif

Lenovo.

AG 47 said:

Right.
laugh.gif

Lenovo.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Right.
laugh.gif

Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba???

Had a Y510 a few years back. Build quality was terrible, the hinge on the screen completely gave out just past the one year mark followed by an overheating problem that I was told "would cost more to repair than the laptop was worth" by tech support @ Lenovo. Bought a 2010 MBP i5, can't complain thus far. 

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Right.
laugh.gif

Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba???

Had a Y510 a few years back. Build quality was terrible, the hinge on the screen completely gave out just past the one year mark followed by an overheating problem that I was told "would cost more to repair than the laptop was worth" by tech support @ Lenovo. Bought a 2010 MBP i5, can't complain thus far. 

Most computers and electronic devices are being manufactured by Foxconn in China anyways, so build quality should be the same throughout the spectrum of brands.

Most computers and electronic devices are being manufactured by Foxconn in China anyways, so build quality should be the same throughout the spectrum of brands.

Meh, I mean the thermal paste thing has been going on for years (former Apple employee). Still, I've owned 10+ macs and never have had a problem. As we say in IT, majority of computer "problems" are user error.

Meh, I mean the thermal paste thing has been going on for years (former Apple employee). Still, I've owned 10+ macs and never have had a problem. As we say in IT, majority of computer "problems" are user error.

jesus, again read the article YOU POSTED.

the purpose is to conduct heat, it doesn't HELP to have more. Having more doesn't defeat the purpose....which is to conduct heat away from the chip. There needs to be a certain amount, more was put there, PURPOSE NOT DEFEATED

son.....have you ever built a computer in your life?

jesus, again read the article YOU POSTED.

the purpose is to conduct heat, it doesn't HELP to have more. Having more doesn't defeat the purpose....which is to conduct heat away from the chip. There needs to be a certain amount, more was put there, PURPOSE NOT DEFEATED

son.....have you ever built a computer in your life?

Back
Top Bottom