New York City....home to overrated NBA players since...???

Y'all can't be posting Slam articles in here fam
laugh.gif
roll.gif
They are the reason NYC gets a bad rep

Scoop Jackson
smh.gif
$#+%@+! Clown

Originally Posted by Al3xis

this has started to become a problem in Jersey as well.
What do you mean? Gilchrist seems like he is good money in terms of being the next superstar currently in the high school ranks.

Gilchrist may be the next "chosen one" but what about Sean Banks, Darryl Watkins, Derrick Caracter,Corey Fisher and Dejaun Wagner. Jury is still outon Earl Clark.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

lance-stephenson.jpg
Dude even got the nickname "Born Ready." Do you all think Stephenson will be a superstar on the next level or be a variant DeshawnStevenson?

lance-stephenson.jpg
Sir Lancelot
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Dude even got the nickname "Born Ready." Do you all think Stephenson will be a superstar on the next level or be a variant Deshawn Stevenson?
Lance is better than Deshawn Stevenson right now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

lance-stephenson.jpg
Sir Lancelot
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Dude even got the nickname "Born Ready." Do you all think Stephenson will be a superstar on the next level or be a variant Deshawn Stevenson?
Lance is better than Deshawn Stevenson right now.
laugh.gif

Dre...u put DeShawn Stevenson on that Cincy squad, and he'll get u 13 off the bench.

tongue.gif

with Stephenson, I see a good player...but not on that superstar level.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by KingJay718

I don't think its a matter of talent. I think its the outside things that cause the talented NYC player to not live up to his hype/expectations. Things like the entourage, the whole family tree, and complacency tend to take its toll on the player in question.
This.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Spike Lee brought up an interesting point, when he said that MJ probably wouldn't have become MJ, had he not move to NC in his youth.
And this.

What makes NY cats GOOD to begin with is the fact that they are more battle-tested than most dudes from other parts of the country. I mean, I could be wrong on that. But street-ball in NY is like no other (I've heard Chi-town is similar). NYC heads just seem to have that extra bounce to their game for whatever reason.

But once dudes see and know that you have actual GAME, the distractions in NYC are also like no other. Broads, family, friends, parties, agents, money, swollen ego.... it gets crazy. And once all that extra stuff starts creeping in, the player tends to think he can just coast on his talents.

It's true, imagine if Mike had grown up in Brooklyn.
smh.gif

Or if LeBron was growing up in NYC with all that hype behind him.
smh.gif
smh.gif

It's the support group in NYC that fails the players I think. And I also think the next great player from NY will have to go AWAY to school (a college nowhere near NYC) for at least 2 years so that he will get the proper support system around him. He needs to be away from NYC to weed out the distractions.

Word. Joakim Noah and Charlie Villanueva played H.S. ball in BK, but finished up elsewhere.

And I agree with you about NBA players being more battle tested. The confidence level is high, which is needed. I've seen alot of players in my 26 years,and I've wtinessed alot of talented players, but their ego always tends to kill them, and if it ain't that solely, then it's the other reasons thatwe've mentioned already. Nowadays I see these players, and the only thing I say to them is either 'What's up?" or "Hi, may I get anumber 1 with a vanilla milkshake please?".

Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair attended public H.S. (Lincoln H.S.) and made it because to me, they had a sturdy support system that was behind them forthe right reasons, and not just for a hand out. Stephon Marbury grew up with a Mother and Father in Coney island BK
eek.gif
! That's becoming rare nowadays.

C5A5D5A5 wrote:
Funny thing is commentators stay linking Wally Szcerbikak to NYC, because he was born in Cold Springs Harbor L.I.
ive never heard anyone say hes from nyc..
laugh.gif

whenever he plays at the garden mike breen will usually point out that hes from the island..same with mike james

laugh.gif
Not Joe Tait and Austin Carr (Cavs commentators). NYC is a dirty wordin Cleveland.

But they have in the past. Marv Albert and John Andraise used to do it in Wally's early seasons, but they wised up, and quitely distanced Wally from NY.

But like I said, any player from NYC that makes it to D1 and to the NBA, went to a Catholic H.S. I wished I went to a Catholic H.S., or attended a H.S. in theSouth or elsewhere.

I had been away from the computer and was going to make this thread...i was the main person on twitter saying NYC hoops is overrated...

People laughed at me, but I made a case to say Dallas has produced better high school talent in the last 10 years than NYC....bosh, deron williams, lamarcusaldridge, darrell arthur, jason maxiell and anthony randolph are all recent 1st round draft picks from DFW.

By numbers alone, NYC should be producing the most ball players due to the population...Dallas, Seattle, Indianapolis and PG county's population combineddoesnt = NYC but those areas are cranking out 1st round picks on the regular.

Honestly though, who cares? I never understood why people took pride in having guys come from their city, like they had anything to do with it.
laugh.gif

he has his limits.
What do you think his limits are?

The lack of super-elite athleticism? Same kinda limits as Tyreke?
Honestly though, who cares? I never understood why people took pride in having guys come from their city, like they had anything to do with it.
laugh.gif

Ya, I mean, it's not like I crafted their games or anything, but I always take pride in sports figures from my city. Esp the one's who Iplayed against/with or the ones that I know/see on a somewhat regular basis.

In the past few years, NYC has fallen off when it comes to producing NBA level talent as much as I hate to admit it. A lot of these dudes put no work intogetting better, everybody around them gasses them up to think they've already made it. All the successful players really do head out towards out of stateschools in no time. I find it crazy that West Virginia has more 4-5 star players from NYC/NJ on the team than St. John's does.

Funny how i was watching the Rucker park documentary on MTV. And Kenny Smith was like NY does not have the best hoop players, we just have so many. NY do havegreat players, i just don't know why they can't make the transition to the league.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

can we claim lebron? lol
Not that I'm trying to start $!+*, but that's many peoples problems with NYers; they want to claim everything.

Originally Posted by dreClark

he has his limits.
What do you think his limits are?

The lack of super-elite athleticism? Same kinda limits as Tyreke?
that would be the biggest one. and not being as much of a combo guard as we've seen OJ and Tyreke be.

( i dont think Tyreke is gona be a superstar, either....but my criteria for that is probably different than others, the list isn't long of those who are tome)

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

can we claim lebron? lol
Not that I'm trying to start $!+*, but that's many peoples problems with NYers; they want to claim everything.

Like if Chicago cats tried claiming KG...the dude went to HS for one year in Chicago!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

can we claim lebron? lol
Not that I'm trying to start $!+*, but that's many peoples problems with NYers; they want to claim everything. i'm salty that lebron wants to move to nyc, and claim it, just like about 100 baseball players wana come to nyc.

Back
Top Bottom