[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Transactions:

[table][tr][td]12/12/08[/td][td]Acquired RHP Connor Robertson from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchangefor LHP Scott Schoeneweis. Non-tendered RHP Ambiorix Burgos and INFArgenis Reyes. [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]12/11/08[/td][td]Selected RHP Rocky Cherry from the Baltimore Orioles and RHP DarrenO'Day from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the Rule 5 Draft. [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]12/10/08[/td][td]Signed RHP Francisco Rodriguez to a three-year contract. Acquired RHPJ.J. Putz, RHP Sean Green and OF Jeremy Reed from the Seattle Marinersin exchange for RHP Aaron Heilman, OF Endy Chavez, LHP Jason Vargas,INF Mike Carp, OF Ezequiel Carrera and RHP Maikel Cleto. [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]12/3/08[/td][td]Re-signed LHP Adam Bostick, RHP Nelson Figueroa and INF Andy Green toMinor League contracts and invited them to Spring Training. Signed CRene Rivera to a Minor League contract and invited him to SpringTraining. [/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]1/27/09[/td][td]Signed free agent LHP Jon Switzer, who had been with the Red Sox, to aMinor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.Signed free agent RHP Kyle Snyder, who had been with the Red Sox, to aMinor League contract and invited him to Spring Training. [/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1/23/09[/td][td]Signed OF Rob Mackowiak, who had been with the Reds, to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1/22/09[/td][td]Signed INF Alex Cora, who had been with the Red Sox, to a one-year contract.Signed RHP Freddy Garcia, who had been with the Tigers, to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1/18/09[/td][td]Invited 1B Michel Abreu to Spring Training.Invited C Josh Thole to Spring Training.Invited LHP Michael Antonini to Spring Training.Invited OF Fernando Martinez to Spring Training.Invited RHP Dillon Gee to Spring Training.Invited RHP Esmailin Caridad to Spring Training.Invited SS Jose Coronado to Spring Training.Signed C Omir Santos, who had been with the Orioles, to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]Signed LHP Casey Fossum, who had been with the Tigers, to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1/15/09[/td][td]Re-signed 2B Argenis Reyes to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]1/12/09[/td][td]Signed RHP Tim Redding to a one-year contract. Signed LHP Tom Martin toa Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]2/14/09[/td][td]Signed RHP Livan Hernandez to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2/13/09[/td][td]Re-signed INF Ramon Martinez to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2/11/09[/td][td]Re-signed 2B Jose Valentin to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2/5/09[/td][td]Signed RHP Elmer Dessens to Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2/3/09[/td][td]Re-signed LHP Oliver Perez to a three-year contract.[/td][/tr][/table]

2009 Lineup:
Reyes
Castillo/Argenis Reyes
Wright
Delgado
Beltran
Murphy
Church/Fernando Tatis
Schneider

2009 Starters:
Santana
Pelfrey
Oliver Perez
Maine
Neise/Garcia/Redding

Bench:
Angel Pagan
Ramon Castro
Alex Cora
Niuck Evans
Jeremy Reed
Fernando Tatis

Bullpen:
K-Rod
JJ Putz
Sean Green
Brian Stokes
Wagner (out for the year)
Pedro Feliciano
Tim Redding
Bobby Parnell

[h1]Church, Castillo start spring on right note[/h1][h2]Behind two veterans, Mets beat O's in Grapefruit League opener[/h2]METS 9, ORIOLES 3
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Feb. 25
Mets at the plate: Most of the Mets' offense came from two players. Second baseman Luis Castillo had a two-run single in the secondinning and a two-run double over left fielder Luke Scott's head in the fourth. Right fielder Ryan Church doubled in one run and had a two-run single laterin the game. Center fielder Angel Pagan also contributed to the win, going 3-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.

Orioles at the plate: Utility man Ryan Freel made a successful spring debut with the Orioles, contributing a double, a single, a stolenbase and a run scored. Center fielder Adam Jones walked, stole a base and scored a run, but he also struck out twice. Ty Wigginton, Oscar Salazar and RobbyHammock all drove in runs.

Mets on the mound: Right-hander Sean Green started for the Mets and was gone after just two outs, a victim of a cut nail on the middlefinger of his pitching hand. Southpaw Pedro Feliciano got four outs without allowing an earned run, and veteran Duaner Sanchez pitched an inning and allowedthree baserunners and one earned run.

Orioles on the mound: The injury bug hit the Orioles as well, with starter Brad Hennessey getting four outs before suffering soreness inhis right elbow. Chris Waters took the ball from him and allowed three hits and one earned run, while David Pauley retired just one batter and was charged withfour earned runs.

Grapefruit League records: Mets 1-0; Orioles 0-1.

Up next: The Orioles will face the Cardinals at Fort Lauderdale Stadium on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. ET, and Danys Baez will be matched upagainst Kyle Lohse. Meanwhile, the Mets will return to Port St. Lucie, Fla., for a 1:10 p.m. ET day game against the Marlins, and southpaw Oliver Perez willmake his first start of the exhibition season.

Good to see Castillo doing something. Hopefully that Green fingernail thing doesn't become nagging.

Isn't Cora gonna be backing up Castillo? I didn't think Argenis was with the Mets anymore?

Let's see what Castillo does against pitchers of importance. I really hope Church gets back on track this year. He's the type of guy I would like tokeep around the clubhouse.

pimp.gif
Let's get it!!

Johan laying low due to some elbow issues.

I wish I could watch this game right now, Mets are up 9-0 after 8. Reyes hit 2 HR and Bel-TRON has another.

Oops...I had just checked from work. Looks like the game's been over, MetsBlog.com has something up:

The Mets beat the Marlins today, 9-0, in a Grapefruit League game in Port St. Lucie, Fla. For a box score, go to MLB.com.

Jose Reyeshit two home runs, including a grand slam, and tallied six RBIs in the win. Offensive powerhouse Luis Castillo had a single, a stolen base, two walks and two runsscored.

CarlosBeltran also homered in the game, a two-run shot in the sixth off former Met Willie Collazo.

OliverPerez started the game and threw two shutout innings, allowing no hits, one walk and striking out three. Dillon Gee relieved Perez, tossed two innings andyielded only an infield hit to Cameron Maybin, who was promptly picked off.

NelsonFigueroa added two hitless innings, and Heriberto Ruelas, Jon Switzer and Kyle Snyder each chipped in ascoreless inning.

I don't care about any of the "regular's" stats, only the young guys and players with something to prove like Luis.

It was difficult for a speed-guy to play well when he had all those nagging injuries, which led to being over-weight since you pretty much can't doanything. Hopefully his knee holds up because he can still be an effective player.

Reyes should never ever bat 3rd, 2nd I can understand (he batted 2nd when he came up and did well)....but hes arguably the best lead off hitter in the game Idon't know if you should toy with that.

Reyes batting 3rd = more fly ball outs, he's gotta keep the ball on the ground.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Reyes should never ever bat 3rd, 2nd I can understand (he batted 2nd when he came up and did well)....but hes arguably the best lead off hitter in the game I don't know if you should toy with that.

Reyes batting 3rd = more fly ball outs, he's gotta keep the ball on the ground.

Jerry already said he's going to start the season off with Castillo leadoff and Reyes either 2nd or 3rd.

I like him 3rd or 2nd because he will get ALOT of fastballs to hit with Delgado, Wright, Beltran directly behind him.. And Reyes knows what to do withfastballs. I'd rather him swing freely than just get on base.

Getting a crapload of steals is cool, but he could have more extra base hits and still have about 40-60 steals which, imo, would mean an even more dangerousJose Reyes.

I just don't see how you can sacrifice Reyes's natural game of ground balls just to help Castillo out, the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

I'm sure if Jerry does that it'll be just to start the season off, give Luis some confidence before the Mets head home after their first road trip.

I'd perfer him hitting second because you negate his speed by having him that late in the lineup. Reyes is hands down my fav. player but he stillhasn't reached his potential. I really believe he could do .310, 80 rbi's, 20 homers, 20 triples, 70+ stolen bases. Those numbers would be amazing butI really believe he could do it.

I just don't see how you can sacrifice Reyes's natural game of ground balls just to help Castillo out, the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

I'm sure if Jerry does that it'll be just to start the season off, give Luis some confidence before the Mets head home after their first road trip.
Thats the thing. We've never really seen Reyes' full potential. In 06 he hit 19 hr's with 80 rbi's and batted .300. You give himsome protection + runners on base, he could put up some crazy numbers.

And yeah, i like him 2nd too because of his speed and more at bats. But he can hit 3rd too with his bat speed.

He's def more than capable but knowing Jerry he's pretty much full of %@+@.
laugh.gif

I would be shocked if I don't see Reyes 1st, Castillo 2nd.

Watching the spring training game replay now on SNY, Castillo looks more slim and isn't hobbling around, hope the new weight can put less straight on hisknees.

He's def more than capable but knowing Jerry he's pretty much full of %@+@.
laugh.gif

I would be shocked if I don't see Reyes 1st, Castillo 2nd.

Watching the spring training game replay now on SNY, Castillo looks more slim and isn't hobbling around, hope the new weight can put less straight on his knees.

I honestly don't think hill go more than 50 games plus this year. I think we'll make a trade or find someone in the farm system to play second. I thinkdude is finished, knees like mcgrady.

I didn't know Khalil Green is a Cardinal, I hate that !***@.

Nice to see everyone hustling in these meaningless games, Wright's swing looks more level (no more leg kick).

FYI Freddy Garcia is def not getting that 8M.

EDIT: In other news, David Wright and Church turned down an interview with Fatcessa today, good for them.

Back
Top Bottom